NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 03-24-2006 14:19:08

Kiri RoX

Installation

I was hoping that someone who has already installed a wax poteto kaki could install 1 for me. I looked at read me, unzipped everything, but then Im 13 so...

If anyone could help at all I would be eternally grateful. *bribes with cookies*

I got one from oekakiart.com but then they host it for you all you get to do is be a reg admin not the owner of the oekaki or anything.

;3

?help me?

#2 03-25-2006 11:14:22

Kiri

Re: Installation

Anyone?

well do I just put all the coding on one page and let cgi do the rest or do I code every page seprately.?

#3 03-25-2006 17:51:10

dee

i can help you if u were using real hosting, because i dont make a try on free hosting....but i can try to install thru free hosting.

everything will ok if dbase is ok. trust me.

#4 03-25-2006 17:52:59

dee

if u're newbie, so am i. i'm very newbie tongue

#5 03-25-2006 20:04:50

Waccoon
Administrator

The most important thing is the server.  Some free hosts are more difficult to set up than others, especially when it comes to the database.  Wax accommodates banner ads pretty well these days, though, so that's not much of an issue.

How the database is set up varies considerably from host to host.  Usually, the database is hosted by the same computer as the web page.  If this is the case, you login to your web-based server control panel, and you'll be presented with an option to set up and administrate various parts of your account, such as error logs, subdomains, redirects, databases, e-mail accounts, and so on.  Go to the section on databases or MySQL (MySQL must be used, as Wax does not support PostgreSQL).  You'll need to create a database, and a username and password for the database.  The database name and password should not be the same as your account login, and will only be used to access the database.  When creating a database and username, the server may prefix your server login to the names.  For example, if you login to your server with the name "bob", and you create a database "oekaki", the end result may be "bob_oekaki".  Keep note of this, as the full names must be typed exactly into the Wax Poteto installer.  The "Database Hostname" in the installer will almost always be "localhost" (all lower-case).

If your web host has a database server on a different computer than your web page (two servers), there will be special directions that you will need to get from tech support.  Lycos/Tripod works this way (and should be avoided, BTW).  In this case, the "Database Hostname" in the installer will usually end up being something like, "sql.servername.com".  The "www" is replaced by "sql", basicly.

Once you have the database set up, copy all the Wax files to your server, and CHMOD the files appropriately using the numbers found in the installation instructions.  When uploading files with an FTP client, you can usually right-click on a file on the server and select "CHMOD" or "change permissions" from the menu.  Then, just select the checkboxes or type in the appropriate number.  The reason for doing this is so the BBS can write files to certain folders, as by default, web servers make files and folders read-only.  The rest of the installation should be pretty straightforward.

Oh yeah, don't forget to put some thought into the theme for your oekaki.  What makes it different from all the others out there?

#6 03-26-2006 13:56:32

Kiri

*head spins*

since I already sell basic website layouts i understood some, if little of that. I need to find a teen cgi and php course. Dee please help.

Waccoon, Im taking by what you said that freewebs is not going to work. What about setting it up on my computer and then having people download it in zip file? and then use winzip. Would that work or should I try tripod?

Urgg. I posted a help ad for cgi coding a while ago on a message board. They told me to take a colledge course n im f,in 13

DX

Is anyone willing to do it for me? I can do layout and template coding.

#7 03-27-2006 05:37:58

dee

ok i'll try, free hosting rite?
i'm not sure i can but i'll make a test.
waccoon, is it possible to run wax poteto in localhost? using wamp5 or xampp or easyPHP...

#8 03-28-2006 05:58:16

Waccoon
Administrator

Kiri:  Waccoon, Im taking by what you said that freewebs is not going to work. What about setting it up on my computer and then having people download it in zip file? and then use winzip. Would that work or should I try tripod?

Urgg. I posted a help ad for cgi coding a while ago on a message board. They told me to take a colledge course n im f,in 13

Oh no... no programming is required.  Setting up the MySQL database varies from server to server, but there's normally some kind of tool available to create a database.  Once that's done, you just have to copy files to the server with an FTP program, CHMOD some files so they are writable (also in the FTP program), and then view the page in a web browser.  The installer will tell you what to do from there.  If something isn't CHMOD right, the installer will tell you.

If you really need more help with MySQL, PHP, FTP, CHMODing and stuff, the Wacintaki manual has a lot more information.  Download Wacintaki and look at "manual.html" in the documentation folder, and look for the "Newbie Guide" in the index.

BTW, CGI is a standard that lets web pages send information back and forth, so you can't really "code" CGI.  There's a programming language out there called Perl that usually uses ".cgi" as the file extension, so most people think Perl is CGI, but it isn't.  Good thing, too, as Perl is a real mess.  Scripting languages only parse the CGI information, and how a specific language does that varies considerably.  If you want to learn how to program web pages, PHP is a good place to start.  PHP is much, much easier to learn than Perl.

OK, that was probably more info that you wanted.  I do that a lot.  smile

Dee:  waccoon, is it possible to run wax poteto in localhost? using wamp5 or xampp or easyPHP...

Sure.  I have it running on my own computer.  I've tested it with Apache and IIS web servers, PHP 4.3, and I recently updated to MySQL 5.  It all runs in the background on my system with no real performance hit.

I installed everything manually, though, rather than with a package, like xampp or easyPHP.  I don't know how those packages work.  I do recall that easyPHP sets the default error reporting to PHP very high, so you might get some warnings about undefined variables.  If that happens, and Wax cannot override the error reporting level, open up your php.ini file and change the line error_reporting = E_ALL to error_reporting  =  E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE

Also, make sure the GDLib and EXIF extensions are turned on, by removing the semicolon before these lines (make sure EXIF is before GD2):

extension=extensions/php_exif.dll
extension=extensions/php_gd2.dll

#9 04-03-2006 14:10:29

v^v^v^v^v^v^v^

Somethings wrong with my computer and test is not showing well. just looks like tiny little dots i have to copy and past to works to read. I think ill stick to regular layouts and basic cgi n stuff til later. rest sounds difficult

xD

i make layouts for my friends with videos, iframes stuff like that but HTML is basic

Sorry I haven't been on (or logging in)

just got a new pup, busy with her. my fithe dog. haha I have 2 birds, 1 parrot, 3 dogs, 2 cats, 2 mice, and 1 gerbil. i had 20 fish but they ate eachother >.<

Ill check back later and log on. I just always have to delete cookies or else my computer freezes cuz its a stupic pc windows millenium *kicks computer*

Thanks for the advice that i could actually read. im taking a screenshot of what i see so you'll see what im talking bout tommorro

>>

#10 04-04-2006 05:54:08

Waccoon
Administrator

A screenshot would be very helpful.

As for WindowsME... please kill it with fire.  Your computer would run sooooo much faster with XP and Firefox.  It may be expensive, but trust me, once you go to XP, you won't need anything else (including Microsoft's next OS, "Vista").

#11 04-07-2006 20:26:14

Kiri

lol. just downloaded firefox a couple of days ago. at least not internet connection doesnt keep crashing on me >.<

i got my friend to fix it. she installed a new cleanup thing she bought and used it to organize the win me. it took 8 hours to run it though >.>

never want to be offline that long again *shudder*

uploading to photobucket the picture now. she fixed it n all so..

lol, now its huge like 30 pt per word xD

#12 04-07-2006 20:31:54

Kiri

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i113/Kiri_RoX/freakinsmall.jpg

now please someone, anyone make me a oekaki

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i113/Kiri_RoX/cry1.gif

#13 04-08-2006 05:30:31

Waccoon
Administrator

To change the font sizes:

Internet Explorer:  Go to the "View" menu, then "Text Size".

Firefox:  Either "View -> Text Size", or hold down the Ctrl key while pressing the plus or minus keys.

now please someone, anyone make me a oekaki

Well, first you need a server.  smile  An oekaki board requires the PHP scripting language, and one MySQL database.  FreeWeb doesn't provide those services, so you need to find a server that will.  I buy my own server space, so I'm afraid I can't make any recommendations.

If you find a place to host an oekaki, I'd have no problem installing it for you.

#14 04-08-2006 09:39:31

Kiri

well ever sphosting got a new server i havent been able to do anything with it. ats all messed up. but they support php and uploading files and stuff. if you can check that out by making a example account that would be great. (i cant figure sphosting.com anymore) ill check the server status on proboards since thats simple.

yeah thats how my frien did it with IE

i seriously like AE better since it does tricks (yesh tricks! turns brower upsite down, blurs, ect)

ever since we had to reboot we lost a lot of ram for some reason and cant re-download

-sorry for all the trouble im causin you wac xD-

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB