NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 05-02-2009 02:46:40

Xod

Posting a PaintBBS or Shi Painter drawing with international username.

When I register a name in Greek characters under utf8 encoding, a strange behavior happens if I use the PaintBBS and Shi Painter applets. Although I am able to upload a drawing, it never posts under that certain name, but it becomes an unfinished drawing without an owner. When the administrator recovers the picture, it posts under an artist with a blank name and the original artist is still not the owner.
Comments, mailbox messages, picture uploads and Chibi Painter drawings, however, can be posted normally with a Greek utf8 name. This is the behavior I have noticed in Wacintaki 1.4.1. I wonder if it is a problem with the board software, or maybe the applets are too old to handle the situation properly.

#2 05-02-2009 04:48:59

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Posting a PaintBBS or Shi Painter drawing with international username.

Comments, mailbox messages, picture uploads and Chibi Painter drawings, however, can be posted normally with a Greek utf8 name. This is the behavior I have noticed in Wacintaki 1.4.1. I wonder if it is a problem with the board software, or maybe the applets are too old to handle the situation properly.

That last part may be the case.  At the time the Shi-Chan applets were written, Java did not have built-in UTF-8 support, so the applets used their own custom encoders.  The applet collect code is supposed to read all header segments as UTF-8, but it's possible that there's a bug in there somewhere.  The ChibiPaint collect code lets CGI do all the encoding work, so I didn't have to worry about it.

This weekend I'll finally be able to look into this in detail.  Knowing that PHP handles UTF-8 correctly, but the Shi-Chan collect code doesn't, narrows things down a bit.  Thanks for posting this information!

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB