NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 07-21-2008 14:43:14

acwitness

Changing stored # of pics not deleting old pics

Howdy,

I have to move my board because Chibi Paint won't work where it is - works fine on another server with same hosting company - go figure. Anyway, I need to reduce the amount of pics stored as there are thousands, and I don't want to move all those. I changed the number of pics to store in the control panel to a much lower number but old pics were not deleted. Any idea why this is?

#2 07-21-2008 15:03:47

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Changing stored # of pics not deleting old pics

Wacintaki doesn't have a cron process, and trying to delete a whole lot of stuff at once can time timeout issues and/or slow down page views.  So, what the board does is delete 10 pictures at a time every time a new picture is posted, until the number of pictures normalizes.  If you have thousands of pictures in a folder, it may take a while before they are all cleaned out.  Dedicated hosts usually don't have a problem with timeouts, but shared hosts do, so this was necessary.

If you need the images to be cleared out right now, I can write you a script to do that, but I'll have to get that done tomorrow.  The script requires some stuff from boot.php, and I don't want to miss anything by hacking it together right before work.  wink

Anyway, the way the purge works is that every time a picture is posted, the board will include "paintsave.php", and then call "clean_picture_slots()".  This will search for any excess slots, and delete up to 10 at a time.  A simple way to hack around this limitation is to increase the number of slots deleted at a time by editing the "clean_picture_slots()" function, and then add this to your banner or notice:

Code:

<?php { include('paintsave.php'); clean_picture_slots(); } ?>

...but, I'll work on a proper script later if you're willing to wait a day.

#3 07-21-2008 17:22:23

acwitness

Well sure I can wait a day smile !!! Thanks so much - appreciate it. One more question - is the process of switching hosts still the same as this?

#4 07-22-2008 04:30:05

Waccoon
Administrator

OK, here we go:  flush

Run it multiple times until it tells you there are no more posts.  It attempts to delete 200 at a time, but if the script times out while running it, just run it again.

You must be logged into the board as the owner to run it.

#5 07-22-2008 17:25:10

acwitness

Well, I ran this and the older posts are gone from the board but the pics are all still in the folder. Is there a way to get rid of these?

#6 07-23-2008 14:59:38

Waccoon
Administrator

Hmm...  try running the orphaned file cleaner.  If it has trouble deleting any files, then it will tell you which files didn't get cleaned up.  There might be a permission issue with your pictures folder that is preventing images from being deleted, especially if the images are a few years old.

fix orphans

If you do have trouble getting those images deleted, you might have to change the CHMOD number of all your pictures (the folder itself is fine, since new pictures can be posted).  Run the orphaned cleaner first, though.

#7 07-27-2008 16:27:15

acwitness

Thanks - this worked. One more thing - just to be sure,  is the process of switching hosts still the same as this?

#8 07-27-2008 16:54:04

Waccoon
Administrator

Yes, except the CHMOD numbers are slightly different.  In Wacintaki, most of the files that need to be writable are all grouped together.

The only files you have to CHMOD in the root folder are "config.php" and "dbconn.php".

The "avatars", "pictures", "resource", and "templates" folders, and all files within, must be writable.  That usually means 775 for folders and 664 for files.

As with Wax, you can check for locked folders on the diagnostics screen.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB