NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 06-03-2008 10:13:34

Sirius

Getting the new chat to work?

Well, I'd love to get the new chat to work, however

at the top I get

Warning: include(templates/.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/export/www/hosting/rpoekakiwtf/Oekaki/oekaki/chatbox.php on line 35

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'templates/.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /usr/export/www/hosting/rpoekakiwtf/Oekaki/oekaki/chatbox.php on line 35

and on the sides:

Warning: include(templates/.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/export/www/hosting/rpoekakiwtf/Oekaki/oekaki/chatusers.php on line 30

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'templates/.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /usr/export/www/hosting/rpoekakiwtf/Oekaki/oekaki/chatusers.php on line 30

Last edited by Sirius (06-03-2008 10:16:43)

#2 06-04-2008 03:45:45

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Getting the new chat to work?

I've made some updates to the new chat system, so it should work, now:  new_chat (wax poteto)

Be aware that the new chat relies on some really old browser tricks and bad JavaScript behavior, so I wouldn't put much faith in it.  It still has an odd problem where the conversations won't even show up at all.  I'll probably be getting rid of it entirely, soon.

#3 06-04-2008 12:42:01

Sirius

Waccoon wrote:

I've made some updates to the new chat system, so it should work, now:  new_chat (wax poteto)

Be aware that the new chat relies on some really old browser tricks and bad JavaScript behavior, so I wouldn't put much faith in it.  It still has an odd problem where the conversations won't even show up at all.  I'll probably be getting rid of it entirely, soon.

Really? That's a  pity. I thought it was pretty cool o-o
Are you gunna update the current chat to something like that?

#4 06-05-2008 01:38:11

Waccoon
Administrator

It would be possible to make a new chat system using JavaScript and DOM, rather than either of the methods used now, but I think there are higher priorities, and PHP just isn't that good for running a chat server.  The old chat uses too much bandwidth, and the new chat uses a lot of server resources.  A Java servelet is a much better idea than using PHP, but usually only dedicated hosts, and only a handful of shared hosts, support the ability to run servelets.

There are a number of free, browser-based chat systems available.  All you have to do is sign up for one of those services, and paste some HTML code into your oekaki notice.  The actual chat is run on another server using much more efficient methods that what Wacintaki/Wax supports.

CBox is one that I see quite often on oekaki boards.  You might want to check it out.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB