NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 05-21-2008 15:00:05

~*Eevee1*~

OekakiBBS Question

The oekakibbs board on SROA won't send pictures anymore. Once you save an image, it'll take you to the title page but a previous picture will show up instead of the new one.
At first I thought this was something to do with java sun, but my other oekakis work fine. What pages would I have to research to figure out why it's not working? I tried uploading a non-edited version of oekakibbs, a non-edited poteto.js file, and a non-edited functions file to reassure that none of my edits caused the problem, and it still wouldn't upload anything.
I honestly don't care for oekakibbs that much but I have a member trying out who needs to use it, so alas.

Thanks for your help~ =}

Owner of the Suta-Raito Oekakis:
Sutaro Sketcher
SR Oekaki
SRO is the merged form of SRON and SROA, with new templates and funnn contests <3

#2 05-22-2008 04:08:48

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: OekakiBBS Question

The oekakibbs board on SROA won't send pictures anymore. Once you save an image, it'll take you to the title page but a previous picture will show up instead of the new one.  At first I thought this was something to do with java sun, but my other oekakis work fine.

Unless you've modified "getoekakibbs.php" or "paintsave.php", pictures should save normally.  I doubt any changes you made to the board are causing this.

OekakiBBS (the applet) has numerous problems and will cause different behavior depending on which version of Java you're using.  For example, I'm using Java 6, and the applet won't even forward me to the title page at all.  It tells me "Transfer Error" when I try to send a picture, and then it allows me to continue working on the picture, but not send it.  If you're using the Microsoft Virtual Machine in Internet Explorer, the applet will still send data and forward you to the index page or comment screen, but the picture data may not be saved.

Realistically, OekakiBBS should be labeled as "broken", which is why I stopped including the applet with Wacintaki over a year ago.  In fact, I'm not even able to test the applet with my version of Java.

Internet Explorer 8 no longer works with the Microsoft Virtual Machine, so I think it's time to ditch the applet altogether.

#3 05-22-2008 09:27:15

~*Eevee1*~

I was searching through the forums for another problem when I found someone with a similar issue. When you send the picture it just shows your previous picture, so it's not saving the new one at all. (Here's the topic I referenced: http://www.ninechime.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=660 )
The oekakibbs was working fine until the page disappeared. For some reason that happens a lot on my server...a bbs will erase all the data on the page so it's blank. I have no idea why, but it did that to the oekakibbs and when I re-uploaded the file it wouldn't work.
Ah such an old bbs. Thanks for explaining all of that to me, I feel wiser when telling it to the members. <3

Another problem someone just mentioned was their picture showed up as this: http://sroekakia.com/oekaki/pictures/5203.png
It was uploaded and worked until they retouched it. I'm going to assume it's just a saving issue and not a big deal. Just thought I'd mention it. =}

Owner of the Suta-Raito Oekakis:
Sutaro Sketcher
SR Oekaki
SRO is the merged form of SRON and SROA, with new templates and funnn contests <3

#4 05-23-2008 06:35:07

Waccoon
Administrator

Retouching is problematic because Wacintaki re-uses the same filename when saving the changes.  That's bad, because the browser still has the old image cached, and if you retouch the picture again, Java has the old retouch cached, too.

Java 6 is especially aggressive when it comes to caching, much more than previous versions, so that's why the problem has been getting worse.

This is something that I have to fix, but it's not that easy because of the way the board associates comments with pictures.  Every retouch requires a lot of things in the database to be updated.

Another problem someone just mentioned was their picture showed up as this:

That happens because all the applets stream data over sockets, which is the wrong thing to do.  The best I can do is add a terminator detector to the applet save code.  That may or may not work, depending on how the server replies to a broken socket connection.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB