NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 01-02-2008 19:05:42

Albel

Banner/Rules/etc. "locked" --- how do I fix this?

You probably remember me from the "patch" e-mails. I decided to do a upgrade to 1.3.11 and redo the skin over again.

But now, I cannot edit the banner, rules, etc. It says it's locked, even when I try CHMOD'ing the file in question to 755/775/777.

./     Locked
./pictures/     OK
./templates/     OK
./resource/     OK
./avatars/     OK
./config.php     OK
./dbconn.php     Locked
./resource/banner.php     Locked
./resource/hosts.txt     Locked
./resource/ips.txt     Locked
./resource/notice.php     Locked
./resource/rules.php     Locked

That's from the Diagnostics page.

Last edited by Albel (01-02-2008 19:06:13)

#2 01-03-2008 02:14:23

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Banner/Rules/etc. "locked" --- how do I fix this?

Some servers don't like it when you CHMOD files with execute permissions (7's and 5's).  777, for example, is usually blocked by hosts because it implies that people have no idea what they're doing, and thus, they just use the least restrictive permission settings.  So, even though 777 should work, it doesn't, because the server has it disabled.

The default permission for all those files is 644.  Try 664, first, to allow the file to be accessed by both FTP and PHP.  If that doesn't work, try using the reclaim tool, which attempts to make copies of all your config files, thus allowing PHP to set permissions as needed.

If the files are completely locked out of PHP's group ID, the reclaim script will fail, and you will have to download the files to your computer, delete the copies on the server, re-upload them, and CHMOD them to 664.  But, that should be a last resort.  This happens because there is another permission setting called CHOWN, which cannot be set by either PHP or your FTP client, and thus is invisible except through a system shell.  Re-uploading the files clears out the CHOWN setting.

Also note that the "main" oekaki folder is locked.  If you have your oekaki in a sub-folder (such as wwwhost.com/oekaki/), try CHMODing it to 775 to unlock it.  If your oekaki already is in the top level folder, or is a sub-domain, I wouldn't worry about it.

#3 01-03-2008 07:40:11

Albel

I know my host has this weird thing where if a file needs to have execute permissions, it has to be at 777 (755 wouldn't work, for example).

But I'll try those steps you mentioned and see if it fixes the issue. smile

EDIT: How odd, *now* it works when I CHMOD it to 777. tongue

Last edited by Albel (01-03-2008 08:42:04)

#4 01-04-2008 02:52:16

Waccoon
Administrator

They might have been doing some server maintenance recently.  Permissions can go all screwy when that happens.  Keep an eye on it for a few days.  smile

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB