NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 12-09-2007 12:20:07

PokéJungle

1.4?

When will the next major release take place?

I know a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away you said you wanted to do something from the ground up...

++ Visit my Pokémon Oekaki ++

#2 12-10-2007 02:11:00

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: 1.4?

I have no idea.  There's no point in making a new version of Wacintaki if these applets can't send picture data to servers correctly.  OekakiBBS had to be dumped a year ago, and since the introduction of Java 6.0, both the PaintBBS and ShiPainter applets have been having a lot of problems.  Fewer and fewer servers (even paid hosting services) will accept data from the applets.

My top priority right now is to figure out why the applets are not connecting properly.  I've spent about 3 weeks on this, however, and have been getting more confused and frustrated every day.  PaintBBS and ShiPainter, for example, use the same server socket code, but on some servers, PaintBBS totally fails and ShiPainter works fine.  If it's a server compliance issue, why is only Java 6.0 affected?  I've asked people on Java forums about this, and nobody has a clue why it doesn't work.  Stack traces show no useful information, and people affected by the problem tell me there's nothing in their server logs that shows connection errors, so I don't know if it's a JVM issue or a handshaking issue.  This is obviously a security violation of some sort, but very, very few people redistribute Java applets for use on shared servers, so as far as figuring out what's going on, I'm pretty much on my own.

Half the oekakis I used to visit have shut down over this issue.  I'll continue working on fixing bugs and other little things, but an overhaul of Wacintaki isn't going to happen until I either figure out what is causing the SocketPermission errors, or I manage to contact Shi-chan.

#3 12-12-2007 14:54:03

PokéJungle

Hmm, this is not good news.  I wish I knew my way around Java to help you, but I don't.  (PHP is my only real strong point for programming...)

I guess at this point all I can do is wish you luck on this!  I'm very happy with your software, so I hope it gets resolved.  Thanks for putting in so much time on this, I appreciate, and I can speak for all my 1500+ members that they appreciate it too!!

++ Visit my Pokémon Oekaki ++

#4 12-15-2007 20:23:10

Doom Fox

Waccoon wrote:

I have no idea.  There's no point in making a new version of Wacintaki if these applets can't send picture data to servers correctly.  OekakiBBS had to be dumped a year ago, and since the introduction of Java 6.0, both the PaintBBS and ShiPainter applets have been having a lot of problems.  Fewer and fewer servers (even paid hosting services) will accept data from the applets.

My top priority right now is to figure out why the applets are not connecting properly.  I've spent about 3 weeks on this, however, and have been getting more confused and frustrated every day.  PaintBBS and ShiPainter, for example, use the same server socket code, but on some servers, PaintBBS totally fails and ShiPainter works fine.  If it's a server compliance issue, why is only Java 6.0 affected?  I've asked people on Java forums about this, and nobody has a clue why it doesn't work.  Stack traces show no useful information, and people affected by the problem tell me there's nothing in their server logs that shows connection errors, so I don't know if it's a JVM issue or a handshaking issue.  This is obviously a security violation of some sort, but very, very few people redistribute Java applets for use on shared servers, so as far as figuring out what's going on, I'm pretty much on my own.

Half the oekakis I used to visit have shut down over this issue.  I'll continue working on fixing bugs and other little things, but an overhaul of Wacintaki isn't going to happen until I either figure out what is causing the SocketPermission errors, or I manage to contact Shi-chan.

Isn't there any way to contact Marcelo or Ranma Guy?

#5 12-16-2007 02:47:43

Waccoon
Administrator

As far as I know, RanmaGuy is not a Java coder.  He's working on a new PHP project at the moment.  I could try asking Marcello, but a recent discovery makes me think that only trial and error is the solution.

The problem is that I've discovered that the socket permission errors are due to a malformed initialization.  This is a major debugging headache, because the applet's permission status is being silently changed, and debugging at the point of failure is not going to help.  I've spent the last several weeks tracing permission issues with socket connections and looking at stack traces.  What I need to do is check to see if Java has some kind of watchdog for byte streams that attempts to stop potentially harmful socket connections.  As I've found out by working with PHP and CGI, security issues are just a real pain in the ass.  I guess Java is no different.

I'm going to re-arrange how the byte streams are encoded and buffered to see what happens.  This will involve a lot of trial and error, and is most definitely grunt work.

#6 12-17-2007 03:50:22

Waccoon
Administrator

Good news, folks!  Wacintaki 1.4 will resume development.

I just wish I hadn't lost so many weeks of time worrying about this.  On the bright side, I now know quite a bit about Java.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB