NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 11-08-2007 18:02:24

mechafaux

Uploading error!

I freshly installed Wax Poteto 5.6.2, after getting too frustrated Wacintaki. But after starting it up fresh (and losing my users and images)... I get the same error!
I've tried changing the permissions for files, but that only leads to more problems.
I draw a picture, hit submit, wait for it to finish, then I hit OK and I get either one of these, depending on the app:

http://i18.tinypic.com/6kr3239.jpg

The board can be found here...

http://www.endofculture.net/oekaki/

Last edited by mechafaux (11-08-2007 18:04:18)

#2 11-11-2007 04:11:01

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Uploading error!

This can be a real pain.

The applets send data to the server in the form of RAW POST.  Some servers do not allow this method, and will return a 403 Forbidden error.  The reason for this is because this type of data is more difficult to filter, and may be used by spammers and crackers.  The alternative to RAW POST is the FORM method, but only the file uploader uses this method.  The paint applets only use RAW POST.

If you're using a free host, you might have to look into a different server.  If this is a paid host, ask your administrator if they could check your server's ability to process this kind of submission.  Send them this in an e-mail:

From the script programmer:  The "Wacintaki" PHP script uses Java applets that transmit RAW POST data to the server.  This data is read from the using the $RAW_POST_DATA variable if available, otherwise, it is read directly from the PHP input stream.  A 403 Forbidden error when using the applets may mean that the server's ability to accept RAW POST is restricted or disabled.

#3 11-14-2007 18:23:51

mechafaux

I finally got a response from the admin...

---
Response (Jennifer) - 11/14/2007 04:00 PM
Hello,

We do not allow RAW POST DATA on our servers.  You will need to get a VPS in order to do this.

Thank you
---

EDIT: I emailed them again.

---
Customer - 11/14/2007 04:25 PM
Hello,
I do not understand. What is a VPS? Is there any way I can have raw post
data allowed on my page? Please explain.
Thank you

Response (Jennifer) - 11/14/2007 05:01 PM
Hello

No, our servers do not support it.  A VPS = Virtual Private Server.  So you would host your own server.

Thank you
---

This is a big bummer! But I don't think I'd have to have my own server.. I hear some free sites let you run this? Which ones?
Also, is there any way to change the code so it works like the uploading?

I'm so disappointed in my server's help. I'd really like to get this to work even if I have to inline a free site to my domain.

Last edited by mechafaux (11-14-2007 23:04:56)

#4 11-15-2007 06:23:01

Waccoon
Administrator

Yeah, that sucks.  Unfortunately, no web host is going to tell you on their features page whether their servers support it or not.  You'd have to e-mail them before you sign up for an account to find out.  However, most hosts these days do offer the feature, even free ones.

I don't know of any oekaki applets that do not use RAW POST, so my hands are kind of tied over this issue.

#5 11-17-2007 03:09:52

DC

Read this and go to them.  It's free, and all you have to pay for is $10 for MySQL on time only, for life, and "unlimited" databases for use.  Actually, I think it's just 999, since that's all the higher the number goes to, but I am running mine just fine from them, and they are d@mn good at being a great host, let alone a free one.  The most you'll spend on them for every extra advanced feature is about $40 one time, but you don't have to get all the added stuff, just what you need.

Last edited by DC (11-17-2007 03:10:18)

#6 11-18-2007 14:01:46

mechafaux

DC, thanks but I already found a new host that fits my various needs and I'm switching my whole site over.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB