NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 10-12-2007 01:52:16

Dreams

Rgh... thumbnail question(s)

Sorry, I feel like a pain.

So, I wondered if there was a way to set the limits for what turns into a thumbnail? Someone uploaded a 600 x 800 picture onto my board and it wasn't turned into a thumbnail... I mean, my max canvas is set to 600 x 600, but wouldn't anything over that automatically make it a thumbnail? Or does it go off some other numbers?

So I thought maybe I'd just try using the uniform scale option. I wanted to set it to 400 to allow anything 400 x 400 and under to show up normal size, and then everything else get thumbnailed... but I noticed the thumbnail size only goes up to 300. No big deal.

The problem is that when I set it to uniform at 300 x 300, most of the pictures were fine, but some got thumbed down to 120 x 120 even though the original size was 300 x 300. Not sure why that happened...

As a final step, I thought maybe I'd let it rebuild all the thumbnails and that would fix it. A page opened up with a billion of these errors:

Warning: filesize() [function.filesize]: stat failed for pictures/1.png in /home/rosewhip/public_html/oekaki/paintsave.php on line 185

And it would've kept going, but I hit the back button. :\

None of this is a huge deal to me, mind you. I can just keep it on uniform 300 x 300 since the board seems to be mostly okay with that (except after I did the rebuild, I had to go in and do some thumbs by hand because it freaked out and wouldn't show some pictures anymore). But I am most curious about what the oekaki considers large enough to turn into a thumbnail; things like that.

Oh gosh... one more question. What are these r104.jpg files now in my pictures folder? Rebuild files?

(I upgraded to 5.6.2, by the by.) ^^

#2 10-13-2007 07:03:15

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Rgh... thumbnail question(s)

My oekakis are designed to optimize for bandwidth, but try to keep the pictures their original size.  This does lead to some layout issues if you're using large canvases by default or allowing uploads.  At the moment, only Wacintaki allows you to configure the thumbnail size cutoff (maximum bytes a picture may be before it is turned into a thumbnail).  I can give you a new version of the control panel tomorrow to change this in Wax Poteto.  The default cutoff, BTW, is 100K.  This just needs to be lowered.  60K should work better for you.

In the meantime, each picture can be turned into a thumbnail manually with the "Thumb" admin option on each post.

As a final step, I thought maybe I'd let it rebuild all the thumbnails and that would fix it. A page opened up with a billion of these errors:

Uh oh.  I do know that on some servers, if the pictures folder doesn't have "execute" permissions, the filesize() function won't work.  Make sure the pictures folder is CHMOD to 755 or 775 (the "execute" flag is selected for all three groups).  Then it should work.  If it doesn't, try going all the way and CHMOD it to 777.  Some servers don't like 777, though.

Do keep in mind that rebuilding thumbnails does take a while, as in, about a minute if there's a lot of pictures.  You shouldn't get any errors, though.

Oh gosh... one more question. What are these r104.jpg files now in my pictures folder? Rebuild files?

Those are the medium sized thumbnails.  Thumbnails that begin with "r" are "reduced", and are what normally show up on the index.  Thumbnails beginning with "t" are "tiny", and are used on profiles and administration pages.  They are generated and removed automatically, and are only occasionally made for pictures, so you don't need to worry about them if they are present or missing.

#3 10-14-2007 22:43:11

Dreams

Ah, thanks for explaining all that. smile

I don't want to trouble you, so I'll just leave my board with the uniform thumbnail on. Works out pretty nicely, so I think I'll just leave it alone for now.

#4 10-15-2007 08:15:58

Waccoon
Administrator

Well, this will work, too:  5.6.3 alpha

At the bottom of the updated control panel, reducing the value of "Filesize for large thumbnail generation" will force more pictures to be thumbnails.

Also, did the thumbnail rebuild work OK?

#5 10-16-2007 03:03:15

Dreams

I'm too afraid to try it again. I think it might have done more damage than if I had just originally fixed the few that for some reason didn't resize properly in the first place. Because once I get to around page 12 and back on the board, I notice that there are now almost entire pages where the images are missing - like, the file is gone completely. (I looked via FTP, yep, they're gone.) I don't know why that happened. sad

Damn, for some reason, too, I thought I had been crazy enough to back up the pictures folder last month. Oh well. I tell people to save their work for a reason.

I'll stash that file you linked and try it when I can get around to it. Thanks. ^^

#6 10-17-2007 03:53:38

Waccoon
Administrator

Wait a sec... I just went to your oekaki and realized that a lot of source images are missing, not just the thumbnails!  I guess that explains where all those "filesize()" errors came from.

Did anything significant happen to the board recently?  When did you update to 5.6.0?  Things can and do go wrong once in a while, but large numbers of pictures shouldn't just disappear while all the comments are still there.

Also, about the backup you made...

The 5.6.0 update doesn't rename any picture files, so you should be able to copy the backup pictures (between #1 and #99) back to the server without any ill effect.  When copying them, you can just tell your FTP program "Skip All" if it asks to overwrite pictures already there.  If there's pictures left over (with no corresponding post or comments), it will get cleaned out, eventually.  5.6.0 uses a proper sorting system now, so you don't have to worry about orphaned pictures causing problems.

If you're really unsure about what to do, I can help.  Just let me know what backup files you have or what needs to be fixed, and I'll see what I can do.

#7 10-19-2007 02:27:18

Dreams

Aww... >.< I think you misunderstood what I said.

the file is gone completely. (I looked via FTP, yep, they're gone.)

Yeah, I figured out the source files have vanished.

I thought I had been crazy enough to back up the pictures folder last month.

I should have finished that thought with... "but I didn't".
I don't have backups of the pictures, unfortunetly.

I'm not sure when it happened... and there's no use crying over spilt milk! (I save all of MY oekaki pictures and warn everyone else to do the same.)

See, my host has been undergoing some bad stupid things lately, so it may not have even been a result of upgrading the board or trying to rebuild the thumbnails. The server was recently hacked, and although I don't think the particular hosting package I'm on was touched, a second account I had with my web host was completely demolished... and now they're going under and trying to sell the company to someone else. Plus cPanel upgraded on the server, but I don't know if that just affects the online file manager, or might affect my files too.

Anyway. I haven't been checking more than the first couple of pages on my oekaki for a while, so I don't know what happened. (._.) The thumbnail rebuild wouldn't delete files, would it? Even if it was giving me those wacky errors?

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB