NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 10-14-2007 12:41:19

ivyadrena

Error Transferring Hosts

I just transfered to a new host. I uploaded all the existing files to the new server, etc, except when I go to the BBS, all of the members and posts are gone. The files are on the server, but they don't show up on the board. What am I missing?

http://sakurachan.ivygardens.net

#2 10-14-2007 22:33:15

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Error Transferring Hosts

You need to export the database from the old server and import it into the new one.  However, doing that now will destroy all the posts you have on the new server.

If you don't want to lose the new posts, you can still transfer the memberlist to the new server.  There is a script called MBackup on the products page that will let you do that.  Basically, you upload it to the old server, make the backup, then you upload the script to the new server, and choose the "Append the memberlist" option.  All the old accounts will be imported, without interfering with the accounts that have been re-created.

NOTE:  This will only work if you have the same encryption key on your new server as you did on the old one.  If you used the default encryption key on both installations, you're fine.

Before you can use the MBackup script, you must set a new password for it.  To do this, open the script up in a text editor, and change the top line:

Code:

$password = 'changeme';

Changing the password is really the only usability fluke.  The script itself is very easy to use.

#3 10-15-2007 09:20:58

Albel

Wac, if my host is moving everything, files and database, to a new server, that script isn't needed, right?

#4 10-15-2007 23:19:35

Waccoon
Administrator

Correct.  When you use a database backup tool like phpMyAdmin, the entire database is backed up, which includes member profiles, picture information, comments, the chat room data, and even the online list.  "MBackup" only backs up a small portion of the database -- the member profiles, and is typically used as a simple way to back up the profiles, not perform serious maintenance.

The proper way to transfer to a new host is to disable the board (replace "index.php"), back up the database, copy the files to the new server, verify the CHMOD numbers are correct (namely, all the pictures and avatars in their respective folders are CHMOD to 664), and then import the database on the new server.  Then, check out the diagnostics page for anything unusual.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB