NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 05-09-2007 10:48:46

Albel

Found some XHTML Non-Valid Coding (1.0 Trans.)

I'm in the process of editing my Oekaki's layout (editing files like memberlist.php, etc.), and I noticed a few XHTML errors.

1) The onClick attribute is not XHTML valid. If you rename it to onclick, it will validate and still work.
2) The @ code is not valid. I would post it here, but it needs to be & # 64 ; (w/out the spaces in between everything). The CODE changes it to the symbol, so I can't post the HTML code here.
3) The whosonline.php page is in HTML4 (so if someone changed the DOCTYPE for the main site, that would not match it.
4) niftyusage.php also has the HTML4 problem.
5) Shi-Painter in draw.php needs the checked value to be checked="checked" (can't minimize the value).

If I find anything else, I'll add it here.

(Of course, this only matters if you are striving for XHTML Validity. Changing these things would probably make a non-valid HTML4 page.)

Last edited by Albel (05-09-2007 12:27:45)

#2 05-10-2007 01:48:05

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Found some XHTML Non-Valid Coding (1.0 Trans.)

Hoo... there's a lot of things that are not XHTML valid in the code, which is why I'm using Transitional instead of Strict.  A lot of compromises had to be made to make different browsers happy.  I've found that FireFox is actually not that good at layout, and Safari is particularly bad.  The only "perfect" browser I've encountered is Opera, but that browser has a lot of other issues not related to page layout.

With a complete code rewrite, XHTML would be possible, but I'm not too keen on doing that amount of work.  Also, my pages are designed to be resolution independent, and a lot of browsers (and the XHTML/CSS specs) pretty much demand hard-coded values, which drives me nuts.  If using an occasional <center> tag or some other hack makes the pages work properly, then I'll do it.  I'd prefer that things work properly, and not simply look good on paper.

I never knew about the checked="checked" thing, though.  In that case, every <option> structure throughout the code is broken, too.  The same is true with the @ symbol.  There really shouldn't be more than one or two escape codes in any text format.

#3 05-10-2007 09:21:50

Albel

Re: Found some XHTML Non-Valid Coding (1.0 Trans.)

I pretty much have everything done now, so if you wanted to see how I got it done in XHTML 1.0 Trans. (I would use 1.1, but it would break a LOT of stuff in my layouts ATM), feel free (http://oekaki.symphonicheaven.com).

Yeah, XHTML has a thing about making absolutely sure that stuff like checked has to be like that. Basically anything that doesn't have a ="" needs it in XHTML (I learned that the hard way when I spent time making my site XHTML valid tongue).

I also noticed it's a pain in the ass about making sure that you don't have form or input tags inside of a DIV. x_x

Last edited by Albel (05-10-2007 09:23:04)

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB