NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 10-15-2006 07:20:37

Kia

Move database?

I want to transfer to a new server, and I don't know how to move the database so my members pictures, info, ect is there. Anyone know how?

#2 10-17-2006 02:28:31

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Move database?

This can be a fairly complex process.

The first thing to do is backup the database.  This is done by using a tool such as phpMyAdmin, which is available in most server control panels (where you set up databases).  Once you get into phpMyAdmin, you have to select a database, go to "Export", and at the bottom, make sure you select "Compression: zipped".  Then click "Go", and you will be given a file that contains a backup of your database.

Create a database on your new server with the same name/username/password as on your old server.  If the database info is changed, you'll have to edit the "dbconn.php" file accordingly.  Go to phpMyAdmin on the new server, and select the new database.  It must be empty.  Go to the "Import" tab and give the zipped backup file to the server.  Don't worry about the "Character set of the file".

After that, you will have to copy all the files (including pictures, avatars, config files, and the resource folder) to your new server.

After uploading all the files, there is the painful process of CHMODing all the new files so they are writable.  Most of the folders will have to be set to 775, and all the files within the pictures and avatars folders must be set to 664.  Yes, all the files must be CHMOD, not just the folders.

Once everything has been uploaded, you should be able to view the board, though it may not work properly if some files and folders are locked.  Log in as the owner, and type "infotest.php" into the address bar of your web browser.  This diagnostics script will tell you if any folders or critical files are locked, although it won't tell you if any pictures/avatars are locked.

Oh yeah, don't destroy your old board until you know the new board is working 100%.  wink

#3 10-18-2006 15:27:15

Kia

uhh o-0;;

Maybe I'll just stay on funpic then.

#4 10-26-2006 12:59:26

FaroRe

I wanted to thank you Waccoon ^_^ Beacuse of your tutorial I was able to sucesefully move my OE board to better server smile

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB