NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 09-28-2006 23:51:28

rainbow

Arists with most latest drawings and comments...

I haven't been here in a while, but I'm trying to add something to the notice.php file and unfortunately, I'm running into a bit of a problem. My oekaki stores 300 pictures and I can't seem to get it to display the top ten artists with the most latest drawings and comments that they made. Here's a snippet of my notice.php file:

Lines 2 - 4:

Code:

$pictureranking = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM op_oekaki ORDER BY piccount DESC LIMIT 0, 10");
$topartistpictures = mysql_result($pictureranking,0,usrname);
$toppictures = mysql_result($pictureranking,0,piccount);

Lines 6 - 8:

Code:

$commentranking = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM op_oekaki ORDER BY commcount DESC LIMIT 0, 10");
$topartistcomments = mysql_result($commentranking,0,usrname);
$topcomments = mysql_result($commentranking,0,commcount);

Lines 59 - 72:

Code:

<table bgcolor=<?=$cPostbgColor?> width=100% height=156>
    <tr>
        <td valign="top" width=50%>
            <div style="font-size:12" align="left">
                <? echo $topartistpictures ;?>
            </div>
        </td>

<div style="font-size:12" align="right">
                <? echo $toppictures ;?>
            </div>
        </td>
    </tr>
</table>

Lines 84 - 97:

Code:

<table bgcolor=<?=$cPostbgColor?> width=100% height=156>
    <tr>
            <div style="font-size:12" align="left">
                <? echo $topartistcomments ;?>
            </div>
        </td>
            <div style="font-size:12" align="right">
                <? echo $topcomments ;?>
            </div>
        </td>
    </tr>
</table>

Is there any way that this can be fixed? I can send you a copy of my notice.php file if you like.

#2 09-29-2006 04:14:05

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Arists with most latest drawings and comments...

I take it you want to print more than one result.  wink

To do this, you need to do a loop with mysql_fetch_array(), instead of mysql_result(), to get each of the ten rows, one at a time.

Gimme a day to give you something that works better (it's really late/early now).

#3 09-30-2006 06:00:40

Waccoon
Administrator

Code:

<!-- Pic rank -->
<?
$pictureranking = mysql_query ("SELECT usrname, piccount FROM op_oekaki WHERE piccount > 0 ORDER BY piccount DESC LIMIT 0, 10");
$top_rank_num = mysql_num_rows ($pictureranking);
?>
<table bgcolor=<?=$cPostbgColor?> style="font-size:12;" width="100%">
    <tr>
        <th align="left" valign="top" width="50%">
            Name
        </th>
        <th align="right" valign="top" width="50%">
            Pictures
        </th>
    </tr>
<? for ($n = 0; $n < $top_rank_num; $n++) {
    $top_rank = mysql_fetch_array ($pictureranking); ?>
    <tr>
        <td align="left" valign="top" width="50%">
            <? echo $top_rank['usrname']; ?><br />
        </td>

<td align="right" valign="top" width="50%">
            <? echo $top_rank['piccount']; ?><br />
        </td>
    </tr>
<? } ?>
</table>

<!-- Comment rank -->
<?
$commentranking = mysql_query ("SELECT usrname, commcount FROM op_oekaki WHERE commcount > 0 ORDER BY commcount DESC LIMIT 0, 10");
$top_rank_num = mysql_num_rows ($commentranking);
?>
    <tr>
            Name
        </th>
            Comments
        </th>
    </tr>
    $top_rank = mysql_fetch_array ($commentranking); ?>
    <tr>
        </td>

<? echo $top_rank['commcount']; ?><br />
        </td>
    </tr>
<? } ?>
</table>

This code also won't print members that have zero pictures or comments, just in case.

#4 09-30-2006 11:35:50

rainbow

Waccoon wrote:

Code:

<!-- Pic rank -->
<?
$pictureranking = mysql_query ("SELECT usrname, piccount FROM op_oekaki WHERE piccount > 0 ORDER BY piccount DESC LIMIT 0, 10");
$top_rank_num = mysql_num_rows ($pictureranking);
?>
    <tr>
            Name
        </th>
            Pictures
        </th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        </td>

<? echo $top_rank['piccount']; ?><br />
        </td>
    </tr>
<? } ?>
</table>

<!-- Comment rank -->
<?
$commentranking = mysql_query ("SELECT usrname, commcount FROM op_oekaki WHERE commcount > 0 ORDER BY commcount DESC LIMIT 0, 10");
$top_rank_num = mysql_num_rows ($commentranking);
?>
    <tr>
            Name
        </th>
            Comments
        </th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        </td>

</td>
    </tr>
<? } ?>
</table>

This code also won't print members that have zero pictures or comments, just in case.

Thanks for the help. However, I want it to only display the latest number of pictures or comments from these top posters and commenters, not the most number of pictures or comments ever. Since I have more than 300 pictures stored, the number of latest comments and pictures from that artist will drop. Here is this piece of code from profile.php for example:

Code:

$result2 = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM ".$OekakiPoteto_Prefix."oekakidta WHERE usrname='$user' ORDER BY postdate desc");
$rownum = mysql_num_rows($result2);
$i = 0;
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM ".$OekakiPoteto_MemberPrefix."oekaki WHERE usrname='$user'");
$row = mysql_fetch_array($result);

Waccon, how would I get it to display only the latest number of comments and pictures at the most for a certain user?

#5 09-30-2006 23:12:57

Waccoon
Administrator

Ah, so you want to show the pictures/comments that are actually stored at any point in time.  Will this include links to a person's latest picture, or just a count of how many pictures exist?  Counts are easy, links are trickier and have lots of gottchas that wouldn't be all that great for the notice.

To get the count, you have to get the rank first (already doing that), and then count up everything in the picture and comment tables.

#6 10-01-2006 11:30:05

rainbow

Waccoon wrote:

Ah, so you want to show the pictures/comments that are actually stored at any point in time.  Will this include links to a person's latest picture, or just a count of how many pictures exist?

I only want it to count the most number of pictures and comments that currently exist on the user's account, not the most number of pictures and comments from a user, ever.

Waccoon wrote:

Counts are easy, links are trickier and have lots of gottchas that wouldn't be all that great for the notice.

To get the count, you have to get the rank first (already doing that), and then count up everything in the picture and comment tables.

How would I do that?

#7 10-05-2006 04:14:10

Waccoon
Administrator

Sorry for the wait.  I havn't had a chance to get "real" code working, as there's a few other people who need help at the moment.

Basicly, where you see the line $top_rank = mysql_fetch_array ($pictureranking);, you would have to add a few extra lines, something like this:

Code:

$result_mrp = mysql_query ("SELECT count(PIC_ID) FROM op_oekakidta WHERE usrname='{$top_rank['usrname']}'");
$max_rank_pics = mysql_result ($result_mrp, 0);

This counts up the total number of pictures (PIC_ID's) for each usrname contained within the $top_rank array.

Just so you know, this isn't totally accurate, as people are still ranked based on how many pictures and comments they have made in total, but what is printed is a count of how many pictures and comments they currently have in the database.  The reason for this is because it isn't practical to count up how many pictures and comments each member has to get the rank.  It would take way too much time per pageview.  This is a good approximation for ranking, though, and in the end, it does provide the most accurate counts, as opposed to simply printing the picture and comment count stored in each member's profile.

#8 10-05-2006 11:13:43

rainbow

Just so you know, this isn't totally accurate, as people are still ranked based on how many pictures and comments they have made in total, but what is printed is a count of how many pictures and comments they currently have in the database.  The reason for this is because it isn't practical to count up how many pictures and comments each member has to get the rank.  It would take way too much time per pageview.  This is a good approximation for ranking, though, and in the end, it does provide the most accurate counts, as opposed to simply printing the picture and comment count stored in each member's profile.

But now, it's displaying "8, 0, 0, 30, 3, 0, 0, 2". How do I get it to display the ranking of the most number of pictures and comments that they currently have in the database for a certain username? For example, 30, 23, 8, 3, 2, etc.

How would I get it to work with the $pictureranking, $commentranking, $top_rank and $top_rank_num figures? Would I have to create a new field to store the number of pictures and comments in the database for a certain username in the op_oekakidta table?

For example, in the picture field, I have the following:

<table bgcolor=<?=$cPostbgColor?> style="font-size:12;" width=100% height=156>
        <? $result_mrp = mysql_query ("SELECT count(PIC_ID) FROM op_oekakidta WHERE usrname='{$top_rank['usrname']}'"); ?>
        <? $max_rank_pics = mysql_result ($result_mrp, 0); ?>

<tr>
            </td>
                <? echo $max_rank_pics; ?><br />
            </td>
        </tr>
    <? } ?>
</table>

And in the comment field, I have the following as well as it hasn't changed much:

<table bgcolor=<?=$cPostbgColor?> style="font-size:12;" width=100% height=156>
        <tr>
            </td>
            </td>
        </tr>
    <? } ?>
</table>

Last edited by rainbow (10-05-2006 11:17:37)

#9 10-08-2006 11:06:14

rainbow

Aren't ya gonna help me out in this thread? It's been three days. sad

#10 10-09-2006 01:24:42

Waccoon
Administrator

Sigh.  Without a caching engine, I can't think of a way to do this accurately or efficiently, which is why you're getting so many zeros in your results.

#11 10-09-2006 03:57:55

rainbow

Me either.

However, there's one way how it could be done.

I'm guessing is that one way to do this would to create new fields to store the value for the number of pictures and comments for a certain user that is stored in the op_oekaki table. And if I do that I would first of all have to copy the value for available number of pictures attributed to the username related to the PIC_ID in the op_oekakidta to the "picavail" field in the op_oekaki table and the value for the available nuimber of comments related to the ID_3 value in the op_oekakicmt to the "commavail" field in the op_oekaki table as well.

This seems some sort of a challenge to me though and if there is a way to get it to work somehow, it'll rank the available number pictures or comments stored in the database that the artist made and it would have to be under the two new fields in the op_oekaki table since it would in my opinion be complicated to properly get the ranking of the available number of picture and comments that were done by the user.

What do you think about that?

#12 10-12-2006 04:51:12

Waccoon
Administrator

The problem is that what you want can't be done efficiently with the board strictly with code in the notice.  To fix this requires a few things:

- Adding new entries to the op_oekaki table.  This ranks people correctly based on what's in the database at the moment, rather than total pictures and comments.  Integer values named "pic_rec" (picture record) and "comm_rec" (comment record) would do fine.

- Modify the boad so that any time a picture is removed, all the comments are counted and the appropriate "comm_rec" is reduced, and then the proper "pic_rec" is updated.  Comment deletes from admins and artists must be taken into account, but not comment edits.

- Obviously, count up any new pictures/comments added.

- Make a script that creates an array, and "bins" counts.  Such a script may cause a timeout error if not done correctly, due to the sheer number of comments that must be counted.

Such code is very prone to error, especially with the way Wax is constructed, and things will get out of sync often.  The "total" picture count already in the database is already faulty and is regularly set to values less than zero.  OP worked this way, and I never fixed it because it's just too much trouble.

You could just do a recount every time the board changes, but the script that does the counting would have to account for timeouts, which requires yet more flags to be stored in the database.

Sorry if I'm not too helpful as far as code is concerned, but I'm more interested in helping people with technical problems, rather than with making mods of the board.  This is especially true since I'm currently updating Wax to behave more like Wacintaki (fixing the massive sorting problems).  If I was using a true template engine, I wouldn't even have two versions of the oekaki in the first place.  wink

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB