NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 08-07-2006 02:33:32

riordankeane

Installation issues...

Now, I'm almost positive that this is because I'm completely new at MySQL...

I created a directory and copied all of the files from the /oekaki directory into mine on my server, and went to it in my browser to begin the installation. When I complete everything, I get the error "Could not open database config file for writing. Check your server permissions"

I'm assuming that I need to chmod, but I have no idea how to do it with my database. I am so completely lost on this :\

Thanks in advance to anyone, and sorry also to those who I bug. :x

#2 08-07-2006 02:54:23

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Installation issues...

Make sure the oekaki folder itself is writable, because the board cannot write the config files into the folder (it's not a database issue).

Since you have to create the /oekaki folder via FTP, you'll probably have to set permissions to 775.  The default is usually 755.

#3 08-07-2006 03:02:53

riordankeane

I keep doing that :\
Each time I go to change them again, the checkboxes are all empty and there isn't a number there...So I'm not sure that it's really changing them.

#4 08-08-2006 05:13:45

Waccoon
Administrator

The checkboxes in the FTP program?  Which program are you using?

#5 08-09-2006 03:38:57

riordankeane

Yeeep. I'm using FileZilla.

#6 08-10-2006 04:49:20

Waccoon
Administrator

Ah, someone on the Wacintaki forum is having a similar problem.  It might be because your account is set up as a subdomain.  If that's the case, then you can't CHMOD the root folder itself.

Open up Notepad, and save two blank files named "config.php" and "dbconn.php".  Upload those files to the oekaki folder and chmod them to 664.  Those are the only two files written to the root of the oekaki folder, and if the server cannot create those files, it should still be able to write to them if they already exist.

#7 08-11-2006 05:14:24

riordankeane

Hmmm...

Now I get these pages:

Please run the updater.

>

Detected version of OekakiPoteto: 4.0.0

Click here to start the update.

>

STOP: “count” file cannot be found! Check your board for corruption.

If problems persist, try visiting the NineChime Support Forum.

:\

#8 08-12-2006 05:24:26

Waccoon
Administrator

Oops.  After you upload those files, you have to run the installer again (ignore any errors about duplicate database entries).  The files are just  blank "placeholders" for the config files.  Do this by viewing "install.php".  With a config file in place, the board will always ask you to run the updater, but in this case, you'll need to run the updater again to actually write the proper info to those blank files.

#9 08-12-2006 15:23:39

riordankeane

I did that, and got the whole "Could not open database config file for writing. Check your server permissions" thing again...

#10 08-12-2006 22:31:08

Waccoon
Administrator

OK, upload this file to your oekaki folder and run it.  This will tell you the permissions of all the files that need to be writable on your server.  You'll just have to mess with the CHMOD numbers (whatever your server wants) until they work.  At this point, I may need a link to your oekaki to get an idea of how your account is set up.

I find it odd that the base folder on your server is not writable, which is why the config files cannot be written.  This does make some sense if you have a subdomain account ("account.server.com") instead of a normal account ("www.server.com/account").  If you have a control panel for your account, you may have to look around to see if there's a web-based FTP manager that will allow you to change the permissions of the base folder (I seriously doubt it, but we might as well look).

If problems persist, you may have to contact your system administrator, or install your oekaki in a subfolder, and upload an index.html file to the base folder that points to the oekaki.

Also, just in case the files you uploaded manually are an issue, try deleting them.  If the base folder is writable, the installer will be able to create those files.

#11 08-12-2006 22:47:43

riordankeane

Hmm... I'm missing announce.php, hosts.txt, and ips.txt
My oekaki can be found at http://www.arctic-orange.net/oekaki ... I changed it from being a subdomain when you said that may be the problem.

I do have a web-based FTP, but it doesn't have any chmod kind of options...just a basic upload/download program.

I tried creating blank versions of the missing files and running the installer as I did earlier with dbconn and config, but again I got the same error.

I'm sorry this is taking so long sad

#12 08-13-2006 21:17:49

Waccoon
Administrator

OK, according to the "perm.php" script you uploaded, the write permissions for all the folders is just fine.  However, I noticed that the language file isn't working quite right.  I tried to access "/language" directly and was promptly shown a 404, while "/language/english.php" works just fine.  If your server has directory listings turned off at the script level (not just the public level), that will be a problem.

Seeing how the main files are now writable, try setting all the folders to a CHMOD of 757 (including the base folder, language and smilies) and then run the installer again.  See what that does.

#13 08-17-2006 00:51:59

riordankeane

I chmoded all of them to 757, and still got the same stuff...

Do you think there's a way for me to get the directory listings turned on?

#14 08-19-2006 07:06:14

Waccoon
Administrator

That's normally a server issue, so I'm not sure.

Lemme see what I can do regarding a custom security file (.htaccess file).  There's a way to override the server's default settings, but it doesn't always work.  I'll get back to you.

#15 08-19-2006 10:24:13

riordankeane

Wow...Thank you so much

#16 08-19-2006 21:52:45

Waccoon
Administrator

OK, try this.  Upload it into each folder of the oekaki, including the base folder:  .htaccess file

Now, I don't know if it will allow access to the files, but it *should* override directory indexing.  If it does, then file access may be a side effect.  However, whether this works or not depends how the security model is set up on the server.  If you just try to access, say, the "/shipainter" folder, and you can't get a directory listing, then ".htaccess" files are disabled on the server, in which case you'll have no choice but to ask the system administrator for help (since CHMODing didn't do anything).  Maybe there's a "magic" CHMOD number you need to use.

#17 08-20-2006 02:07:42

riordankeane

That didn't work, but I have a question before I contact my admin:
Is this meant to be on a Linux server? I guess it would've been realy smart to mention this at first - The server I'm using runs windows.

A lot of things I've been wanting to do call for a Linux/Unix server, so I think I may need to change that, somehow...

#18 08-23-2006 05:53:25

Waccoon
Administrator

Wax runs just fine on a Windows server.  I use Windows myself to test the board.  It's very easy to get most scripts working on a Windows machine, but sadly, many programmers don't bother.

The .htaccess files only work with the Apache web server, though.

Folders that actually exists are returning different 404 errors than folders that don't exist, so this is definately a security lockout issue.  As far as I know, Microsoft IIS doesn't allow security overrides like .htaccess files, so you'll probably have to ask your administrator.  Honestly, I don't know too much about security on IIS.

#19 08-23-2006 14:52:10

riordankeane

Alrighty, I'll check that out and let you know if I get it figured out! :]
Thank you for all of your help, seriously - it's so nice of you

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB