NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 07-06-2006 12:43:27

KaiBlue

I'm new and don't get it.....

" Many servers have a special folder in which you need to upload files. If you're used to uploading files with a web-based file manager, rather than FTP, you'll need to look for a public share folder which is usually called “public_html”, “www”, “web”, or sometimes “home.” If you do not create your oekaki folder in that special “public” folder, your files are considered to be private and will not show up on the Internet. Some servers do not have this public share folder, so if you don't see it, don't worry. UNIX / Linux servers usually have this folder, Windows servers may not. "

Alright I'm at this point in making my oekaki. My FTP program is Core FTP. And I'm using a free server from tripod/linux. I pulled up my FTP thing and logged in completely. I haven't added anything yet and I'm trying to use Wacintaki Poteto 1.3.2

I don't understand where I need to upload my oekaki file in. And when I figure out where to do it do I just click new directory name it oekaki and upload the file in there?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" CHMOD this directory to 755 (preferred), or 777. To CHMOD files in most FTP programs, right-click the file and choose CHMOD or something related to changing permissions. "

How do I do this?

Last edited by KaiBlue (07-06-2006 12:44:06)

#2 07-07-2006 10:53:18

KaiBlue

Re: I'm new and don't get it.....

How come only some threads get posted in and others like mine get ignored?

#3 07-07-2006 13:02:58

AlexiaSH

You need to use a FTP program, like SmartFTP or FileZilla.

In SFTP, it'll be a CHMOD menu option you'll need to pick. In FileZilla, I think it's File Attributes.

#4 07-08-2006 15:28:37

Waccoon
Administrator

I don't understand where I need to upload my oekaki file in. And when I figure out where to do it do I just click new directory name it oekaki and upload the file in there?

I believe Tripod puts you directly into your folder, so you don't have to look for "www", "home", or any of that stuff.  Just create an oekaki folder (any name will do), and upload your files into there.  Just make sure you don't use any spaces in your folder name.

I have no idea how Tripod sets up the database, though, and I hear it's not a straightforward as doing it with CPanel.  Before you get too involved with uploading files, read the site FAQ to figure out how to enable your database.

How do I do this?

In CoreFTP, right-click on a file and select "Properties".  You will be shown a bunch of checkboxes with the CHMOD number shown underneath.

Basicly, all you have to do is make the files writable.  If you upload a file, you need to turn on group write permissions.  The execute permissions don't really matter, but some servers want them on, and others don't.  It's best to leave them at the default.  I think Tripod works fine with the default execute permissions.

As a general rule, files uploaded to a server need permissions of 664 to be writable, and folders need 775.  If the script creates files on its own (example, the config file), the defaults of 644 and 755 will work fine, and you don't have to change the numbers.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB