NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 05-19-2006 00:10:43

Kojichan

Chat problems?

First off, not sure if I should be posting for help here about the OekakiPoteto Chat MOD written by marcello or if I should try to get ahold of him...

This is the chat files that were included in the New_Chat folder of the distribution package.

I have opted for this chat, as it is more real time, user friendly, and has a more 'Chat Room' look and feel.

It installed fine, however there seemed to be a delay from when you would start seeing peoples' posts to it.

So once you 'entered', you couldn't see anything for a period of time, usually from 30sec to about 3 minutes. It varied.

During the last couple of days to a week or so, that time delay has significantly become longer, and now can last up to 15 minutes before ANYTHING that is posted is seen!

My first thought was that my server was slightly slow, but that wouldn't explain why the rest of the Oekaki was working zippidy do dah quickly, even my forums that I run on the same site is going smoothly.

My only other thought, was that the MySQL server that I was given is in a different timezone than the server I'm using, so there were some issues between that, but, again, no problem with anything else, just the Chat.

I haven't touched the code for the chat, except for when I tried to make a better function for removing all the old posts that weren't being deleted (The post removal function in the New_Chat wasn't removing any of the old posts at all, so there were still 5000+ posts remaining).

Even then, I reinstated the original code, and made sure I was running JUST the New_Chat.

After failing that, I began to grow suspicious of the PHP itself. The first portions of it ran fine. First section within the <? ?> brackets worked with a small 'Echo' sentance, Second one as well. But at the begining of the third <? ?> set, right at the top where it defines the $last_chat = time() - 300; variable, nothing appears. at all. It waits 15 minutes before even bothering to try and post anything. Like htere's something wrong within that third block, and I can't figure it out.

On the plus side, the server is actually receiving the posts proprely, just the window isn't relaying them back at all.

I hope someone can help, before I started calling my server to complain, when it may not be their fault. (Bad enough I can't seem to get ahold of them on their 24/7 toll free number, saying the number isn't available.  Great service, yeah. Pfft.)

Edit:  Server is located here:

http://www.neosouthisland.com/

Oekaki here:

http://www.neosouthisland.com/oekaki/

Last edited by Kojichan (05-19-2006 00:16:42)

#2 05-19-2006 06:54:15

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Chat problems?

To be honest, I haven't put any serious work into updating the "new" chat system.  It uses a few bad JavaScript hacks and is most definately not W3C complaint, so it makes all the browsers scream in terror (not show the page) if I add a DOCTYPE.  I keep it because it's part of OekakiPoteto, but I don't recommend anyone actually use it.  A real chat application will always work better.

The persistent connection does work properly, so comments are sent to the server in a timely manner.  However, I've had a lot of problems getting new comments to show up properly in web browsers due to the bad JavaScript.  Web pages must have content updated via the DOM (Document Object Model).  A JavaScript call to a line scroll is very bad.  I don't intend to fix it, though.  Sorry.

#3 05-19-2006 20:30:38

Kojichan

No worries.  I was just wondering if anyone else managed to overcome this, before I go in and start hacking it around.

I'm going to be creating two files from the one chat.php, though. Something akin in style to the IPB Forums with the skin in one file, and functions in another, and hten call to the preplaced variables via required documents.

I had already started to modify the Javascaript, despite. I just didn't want to step on anybodies toes before I did. ^^

Thanks for your post, though.

That actually did help.

Oh...  I do suppose I should ask permission before I do attempt this hack.. Shouldn't I?

Can I have permission to try and fix this? ^^;;;

#4 05-19-2006 20:47:50

sfox8

=0 i've actually had the same problem as you have. now the new chat doesn't work entirely. it only shows the entered text after you disconnect from the chat.

i've tried to fix it myself but to no avail, so if you are able to fix it in some way, that would be awesome. big_smile you could even post it in the wax mod forum. good luck though >.>; that chat is a real pain...

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB