NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 04-04-2006 16:08:31

Liger

Not sure where to ask this, but a question on a feature in PaintBBS.

Actually..it's on Animated PaintBBS. I've looked for a while now and I can't find anywhere where it explains what the Palette Manipulate/Create option is. I've experimented a bit to see what it actually does but that didn't get me very far.

Is it possible right now to be able to paste palette codes in the text box and actually import a palette? It didn't do anything when I tried it. Buuut.. if it doesn't work..is there a way to code something like that in? There is set colors that I need to use when I'm drawing (like a certain character) and it's time consuming to transfer them by getting the RGB codes and using the sliders, especially when there is a /lot/ of colors to get.

#2 04-05-2006 05:33:42

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Not sure where to ask this, but a question on a feature in PaintBBS.

The palette system is pretty terrible.  I never liked it, but people insist I keep it.  tongue  Don't even try to figure out the gradation feature.  It's a horrible hack and never worked properly except on really old browsers.

It used to be even worse, because the button names were Load/Save instead of Export/Import, respecitvely.

The way the palette sytem works is like this:

To save your current palette, click the Save Palette button.  This will make a new option in the drop list, which you can name.  To just save the palette in the applet with the currently selected name, click Save Color Changes.

For the palette importer, click "Export" to turn all the colors into text.  If you have "Replace all palettes" selected, all the palettes will be smushed together into one big palette when saved, and will completely replace them if you do an import.  To import or export only one palette, make sure "Replace active palette" is selected.  When importing, it will not ask for a name.  "Append palette" will create a new palette in the list.

The palette format is determined by exclamation points at the beginning of lines.  Each exclamation point defines the name of a new palette.  The last line is "!Matrix", which tells the palette system that there are no more colors.

Code:

!Name1
#COLOR
!Name2
#COLOR
#COLOR
#COLOR
!Matrix

Adding sliders and stuff would be nice, but seriously, the applets should do that stuff.  All the documentation for the applets is in Japanese, so figuring out how to send color information to and from the applets is a major chore.  If PaintBBS was truly English (or at least open source), I would feel different.

For my new oekaki sytem, I'll consider adding buttons for changing the current color (as it's a real pain to click the color adjustment bars in PaintBBS), and save palettes in cookies, so you'll have your palettes saved every time you visit the board.  I won't do that much to the system already in Wacintaki and Wax, though I did fix the gradient feature in Wacintaki 1.3.  I hate Javascript errors.

#3 04-05-2006 19:38:53

Liger

Re: Not sure where to ask this, but a question on a feature in PaintBBS.

Wow. Thanks a bunch. big_smile That explained a lot. I do already use the gradient for some things..because. ......well. I dunno. Found out how to use it and it was pretty neat.

The palette being saved every time you go to the board would be awesome. Good luck on managing to get that set up. As long as I can get the import palette function to likemeandwork, sliders aren't really needed at the moment unless a massive amount of people want it. But s'okay. You've already done enough by coding things and fixing errors. xD

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB