NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 05-02-2005 11:05:38

Adrian

PaintBBS Palette Issue

Hello,

I just recently updated to the Wax Poteto mod and it seemed to fix most of my problems with Oekaki Poteto.  Most of them, that is, with the exception of the paletted/animated PaintBBS.  It's still giving me the same flack as it did before.  It tells me there is an unterminated string constant in noteBBS.php and noteBBSa.php for the paletted/animated versions respectively.  It also brings up more errors when I try to switch palettes.

I've already contacted my webhost about this and they have told me the poteto is incompatable with the new version of PHP.  This was prior to upgrading to Wax Poteto, however, but the problem persists.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 05-02-2005 17:21:17

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: PaintBBS Palette Issue

The NoteBBS JavaScript is truly terrible code.  I had to fix a ton of syntax errors and I'm sure there's still more.

Try this new build.  It fixes a few missing EOLs and has some english translations of the palette import options, so it may make your browser happier:  noteBBS_eng.zip

#3 05-02-2005 17:50:47

Adrian

Thanks for the new build, Waccoon, unfortunately it's still giving me a hard time.  I'm open to suggestions.

#4 05-02-2005 19:50:22

Waccoon
Administrator

Can you provide any specifics, like:

- Which browser you're using.
- Whether you know if PHP or JavaScript is reporting the error.
- Which language encoding you're using.
- How the error is being reported (on the page, a pop-up, a JavaScipt dilog box...)
- The exact wording of the error, or the most serious-looking one.
- Whether you get the error right away, or only if you choose a different palette, click a button, etc.
- Whether the applet is showing up or not (if the applet doesn't initialize, it can cause JavaScript issues).

I've been testing with Firefox and Opera.  Both have JavaScript consoles, though Opera is particularly fussy about proper JavaScript.  Neither browser is returning any errors for me unless I switch to Japanese SHIFT-JIS encoding.

#5 05-02-2005 20:02:11

Adrian

I'm using IE 6.

The error shows up on the lower-left corner of the page.  I double click that and it gives me this:

Line: 215
Char: 35
Error: Unterminated string constant
Code: 0
URL: http://www.tufentertainment.net/oekaki/ … aycord=500

This happens when the page loads.  The applet loads fine and when I run it on just normal, rather than paletted, there are no error messages.

Another error also shows up when I attempt to switch to a different palette.

Line: 186
Char: 1
Error: Object expected
Code: 0
URL: http://www.tufentertainment.net/oekaki/ … aycord=500

Those are the only two errors that show up.  The second one happens every single time I try to switch a palette, the same exact error for every palette on the chart.

The paletted version of PaintBBS was working fine prior to a server upgrade my webhost did recently.  I contacted them about it and they just told me that the board was incompatable with the new version of PHP.  When I upgraded to the Wax Poteto patch every other script error was fixed except for noteBBS.php and noteBBSa.php.  I'm really at a loss...

#6 05-02-2005 20:23:17

Waccoon
Administrator

Yay!  Line numbers!

Well, I already found the first error (line 215).  It figures that the Japanese characters are causing trouble in the JavaScript, so I'll translate that to english pronto.

"Object Expected" errors are common with IE6 and are a lot trickier to track down.  You're using the new noteBBS.js I posted earlier in this thread, right?

Oh yeah, and the server upgrade shouldn't have anything to do with this, as all the processing is done on your computer.  Poteto does have issues with PHP 5, though, so that's probably why your ISP said it's a PHP problem.  Wax works fine with PHP 5.

#7 05-02-2005 20:45:52

Adrian

The PHP script errors were eliminated the moment I patched the board with Wax.

I am using the noteBBS.js you posted earlier.  Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this, I really appreciate it.

#8 05-02-2005 21:02:25

Waccoon
Administrator

OK, I think I fixed it.  Try this updated archive:

noteBBS_eng.zip

After the upgrade, I think the server is telling the web browser that the file is explicitly encoded as plain ASCII, when it actually contained Japanese characters, and that corrupted everything.  The new noteBBS doesn't have any Japanese in it, anymore.

I think.  wink

#9 05-02-2005 21:08:04

Adrian

Woo.  It works fine now.  Thank you very much.  I'm glad I found this place.  smile

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB