NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 06-08-2013 08:38:11

happythursday

Email issue with Wacintaki Poteto 1.5.13

Good morning,

I've been having trouble with the email notifications from Wacintaki Poteto. The emails gets sent out successfully, but it looks like the headers get jumbled. When I get the emails, they appear from "<From@subdomain.dreamhost.com: Oekaki> myuser@mydomain." It looks like somehow the server jumped ahead and joined with the From?

I appreciate any your help. I tried going trough the code, but the utf8 piece is new for me and I haven't been able to figure it all out yet.

Thanks!

#2 06-08-2013 22:03:18

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Email issue with Wacintaki Poteto 1.5.13

That's strange.  If anything, instead of looking like this:

Code:

<From@subdomain.dreamhost.com: Oekaki> myuser@mydomain.

...they should look like this:

Code:

From@subdomain.dreamhost.com: Oekaki <myuser@mydomain>

I have a feeling that Dreamhost may be adding the web address to the e-mail header because the board is hosted on a sub-domain.  It shouldn't do that, but I guess it is.

As a feature request, the "From" field has been changed to show the name of the oekaki board, instead of "Oekaki".  I also changed the header format and the encoding.  This should also fix the problem you're experiencing.

I expect 1.5.14 will be released next week, as I've been using the new version on my oekaki for a while.

Anyway, the UTF-8 encoder is a bit strange, since PHP doesn't encode e-mails correctly and I have to do it manually.  You start by using the w_mail() function, which then gets sent to utf8_mail(), which formats the mail and adds the headers.  All UTF-8 encoding is handled by the utf8_mail_encode() function.  Headers are encoded inline, while the message body has to be reformatted and properly wrapped to meet RFC 2822.  It's the line wrap encoding that makes things complicated.

#3 06-09-2013 09:48:19

happythursday

Well, the oekaki isn't actually on a subdomain. The sub.dreamhost.com is the name of the server my site's hosted on.

#4 06-09-2013 10:15:47

happythursday

I think the process is adding the from twice. When I check the headers it's using for the email, I find:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Wacintaki

Last edited by happythursday (06-09-2013 10:16:25)

#5 06-09-2013 10:32:59

happythursday

Fixed it by modifying common.php.

Changed:

$from = "From: Oekaki <{$cfg['op_email']}>";

To:

$from = $cfg['op_email'];

Sends email with my address now. It doesn't have a name, but I can work with this.

Last edited by happythursday (06-09-2013 10:33:30)

#6 06-10-2013 14:00:53

Waccoon
Administrator

The "From:" is the problem, and has been removed from the new version.

The proper format for the "from" header in an e-mail is name <address@domain.com>, but of course you can just use the plain address without using a name.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB