NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 10-08-2012 11:44:41

rainbow

Looking for new webhost or someone to host my oekaki...

I'm posting this from a forum thread in the Projects Forum on deviantART stating that I will either need to find someone who is willing to host my oekaki board or a new free webhost.

Wac, as you may have already noticed before. Iceytina wants all of her clients to move off of the netTHRILLdesigns (nTd) domain name by the end of this month due to embedded malware concerns. Starting in November, all of the sites that hosted on nTd will be removed and nTd will no longer offer webhosting. sad

So, let me tell you this. I will need to either find someone or a new free webhost who is willing to host my longtime oekaki website. I worked so hard on my website for more than nine years and I would really hate to see all of the hard work that I put on my website go to waste.

If you have any suggestions, please post here. I would love to hear it. smile

#2 10-09-2012 02:24:52

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Looking for new webhost or someone to host my oekaki...

Check your DeviantArt notes.  I left you a message.

I'm afraid there's slim options for free hosting these days that supports Java, and I haven't looked into any for a while.  I'm totally blind, here.

If anyone else has suggestions, please do post your input.

#3 10-09-2012 02:38:37

rainbow

Waccoon wrote:

Check your DeviantArt notes.  I left you a message.

I'm afraid there's slim options for free hosting these days that supports Java, and I haven't looked into any for a while.  I'm totally blind, here.

If anyone else has suggestions, please do post your input.

I don't know about 000webhost, but I'll look into it though. Lots of webhosts (both free and even some paid ones) have been slowly going belly up. sad

#4 11-10-2012 02:46:44

rainbow

I think that you need to get rid of the spambots! sad

#5 11-10-2012 04:51:10

Waccoon
Administrator

Yeah, the simple humanity test was working really well for the last few years, but this week several bots have been getting through.

Curiously, the only way bots get through is by registering.  I have guest posting turned on, but no bots ever post that way.  LOL

#6 11-10-2012 10:42:15

rainbow

Waccoon wrote:

Yeah, the simple humanity test was working really well for the last few years, but this week several bots have been getting through.

Curiously, the only way bots get through is by registering.  I have guest posting turned on, but no bots ever post that way.  LOL

I agree. Now that the bots have gone through, the humanity tests aren't even working anymore. sad

#7 11-10-2012 19:45:26

Waccoon
Administrator

Of course the test is working.  According to my log file, it stops 99% of bots.  I just get hit by so many bots that 3-5 are still getting through each day.

I figured that given the number of bots that get through, adding a more difficult test wouldn't be worth it.  I really hate CAPTCHAs that are hard to read.

#8 11-10-2012 20:25:10

rainbow

Waccoon wrote:

Of course the test is working.  According to my log file, it stops 99% of bots.  I just get hit by so many bots that 3-5 are still getting through each day.

I figured that given the number of bots that get through, adding a more difficult test wouldn't be worth it.  I really hate CAPTCHAs that are hard to read.

I know how you feel. It's a good thing that almost all of the bots are stopped even though three to five of the bots are trying hard to bypass the humanity tests lately. I feel that it would require too much work to add more difficult tests to CAPTCHA as bots have already bypass it to a point where CAPTCHA doesn't even work anymore.

#9 11-11-2012 22:03:55

Waccoon
Administrator

You know what's really hilarious?  The bots manage to register even though there's a humanity test in place, but after registering, most of them can't post any comments.

#10 11-11-2012 22:20:01

rainbow

That's because some of the bots use a random e-mail address with random garbled characters in the username, domain name and suffix in the e-mail address itself, if I'm correct. big_smile

#11 10-25-2013 15:54:38

rainbow

Um, Wac...can you lock this thread so that no new replies can be made?

It seems that the bots are managing to bypass the humanity tests in place for some reason.

#12 10-26-2013 00:25:57

Waccoon
Administrator

Yes, every now and then one does get through.

My take is that so long as the number of bots is manageable (one or two per month), I'm not going to bother with one of those horrible CAPTCHA tests.  I hate those.  So, the test I have in place is "good enough" and I'll just delete bots as they appear.

But yeah, I'll lock the thread anyway if you're subscribed to it and don't want to receive any further notifications.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB