NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 01-03-2006 19:39:13

sfox8

A list of free hosts for oekaki

Well I don't know exactly where this should go so I put it here under suggestions big_smile

I took the time to look up some free hosts that give php, mysql, ftp and don't have top banners. Mind you I have NOT signed up for any of these hosts. I'm going by what their services say and what I have been told.

There aren't a lot but if you have any additions please tell me and I'll add it. ^^ This list will soon be up at my new oekaki site (not board. site) along with some tutorials and mods. big_smile

Funpic WebHosting - !!! - FOR THIS HOST YOU WILL NEED TO MANUALLY ACTIVATE MYSQL VIA YOUR USER PANEL! Its quick and simple but be sure to activate it! they also offer unlimited bandwidth and space.
Mihopa - unlimited bandwidth!
XR4Free Solutions
MyC Host
Homepage Host
Host Gator
HostRave Free Hosting
LX Host

Enjoy! ^o^

Last edited by sfox8 (01-14-2006 14:37:27)

#2 01-04-2006 06:48:13

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: A list of free hosts for oekaki

Now THIS is helpful.  Thanks.  smile

#3 01-14-2006 06:56:56

Pinkie

I use http://mihopa.com , perhaps you should add that too. They give you unmetred bandwidth, which is good for an oekaki.

#4 09-07-2006 16:55:33

aphro too lazy to login

LX host is giving me problems... can someone explain how i set the nameservers..

#5 09-09-2006 09:19:13

Waccoon
Administrator

Do you mean subdomain, as in "subdomain.host.com"?

Only the host controls the nameserver information.

#6 10-31-2007 16:07:38

DC

Best place to go is www110mb.com

They are free for hosting, and have only a set of more intensive services that are paid for via a ONE TIME ONLY fee that lasts forever as long as you have the account it's paid for on.  And the most you can spend to get every single thing enabled is $40 or so.  For lifetime.  To get MySQL enabled, it's only $10 for unlimited databases and names for the databases.

They offer giving you 3 accounts, EACH with 5Gb of space and 300Gb of transfer per month, and tons and tons of free stuff.  PHP is free, the only thing you need to buy to run an oekaki is $10.  Technically, though, you can aslo make 350 useful forum posts in their very helpful (with fast mod responses too) forum and get it and other stuff enabled for free, but to get the most basic stuff, mysql, htaccess, and sendmail on, and that will run you all of $20 one time.  Also, for buying $20 of extras, your upload limit goes from 6Mb to 100Mb.

When you have a subdomain under them, they don't have any ads anywhere, aside from their own 404 error page (which you're allowed to change and ditch the ads on if you buy htaccess and make your own custom 404 page, and your domain name isn't cuttered by much at all.  The domain name is something like http://yourdomainname.110mb.com.  You can also add 1 domain name of your own for one of your 3 accounts, but they do have some limits when you ditch the only "ad" they have in your domain name, being a free host and all.

Trust me on this, they are awesome.  Check out what you get and check out the forums.  Sign up and ask questions if you want to know what they give and what you can do.  Their TOS is pretty easy to follow, just basically saying don't use too much server resources with high resources using programs (vBulletin is banned because it uses tons of system resources, but there are only like 5 things they don't allow for that reason, and they offer plenty of alternatives that are just as good).  Adult stuff is allowed, just no pedo stuff of human kids... an obvious one to follow.  Most other stuff is pretty lax.  They don't delete your domain if you go over any limits, they just deactivate it.  No limit per day or week, just per month, and you can have over 500+ unique visitors a day if you keep the subdomain name or buy $20 of extras.  Also, very secure, too.

Anyway, check them out.  There is only 1 thing I wish was better, but when you go to a free host, this is always going to be the case: they could load faster.  But still, my pages load in about 5-8 seconds depending on how much stuff there is, and my phpBB 3 forum loads in only 3.  Faster than most free hosts, I'd say.

Hope this helps a lot of people that want to do more than just host an oekaki!

#7 02-21-2008 22:30:58

pokemonalexander2

uh a very good host http://awardspace.com see the details

#8 09-17-2008 15:56:02

toastie

I found http://www.x10hosting.com
it's free, no ads if you choose, and so far has everything you need to set up an oekaki big_smile Try it. It's pretty nice. The only thing is though you need a html editing program to make web pages and stuff. Other than that, it's possum.

Watch out for that skateboard!

#9 09-20-2008 08:07:46

Waccoon
Administrator

I've had a chance to try out http://www.x10hosting.com, and...

EDIT:  Rats.  Apparently x10hosting doesn't allow file uploads, avatars, or Chibi Paint to work.  So much for that.

Last edited by Waccoon (09-25-2008 05:19:03)

#10 04-27-2009 13:23:59

pikatuff

http://orgfree.com/ works. I've set up an oekaki there and it seems to work fine so far. No ads either.

Guys who intrude on other people's paths of love hit their heads on a corner of tofu and die.

#11 09-04-2009 11:33:01

rainbow

It looks like that a lot of free webhosts that you have listed have gone under. Pay webhosts may have even gone under as well due to the credit crunch as well. sad

#12 09-08-2009 10:58:32

Nicolette

Hi, I have a question. How do you set up an oekaki on a free hosting web site. I'm still looking for a good free web site but the main problem is I need to know how to set up an oekaki on the web site. If you could help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Nicolette

#13 09-08-2009 15:58:54

rainbow

Read the documentation on how to set up OekakiPoteto, WaxPoteto or Wacintaki. If you need more information, please let me know. smile

My oekaki site is currently hosted on Orgfree.com for a while after OekakiArt shutdown all of the oekaki boards and it could go offline sometime this weekend.

EDIT: Rats! Apparently, Orgfree.com doesn't allow Java applets to work on that site once the no-ads trial period is up and that the website domain name converts to a ad-supported service. So much for that site. sad

Last edited by rainbow (09-09-2009 16:10:56)

#14 09-09-2009 02:24:01

Waccoon
Administrator

The "newbie guide" in the manual contains a lot of useful information about web hosts, what kinds of services you'll need, and how much space and bandwidth is required.  At the top of the manual, there's a list of tools that allow you to connect and transfer files to the server.

#15 11-09-2009 16:23:58

hikarushirou

I don't think funpic works anymore... doesn't seem to be monitored at all. I couldn't activate mySQL on either Firefox or IE. It just goes to the homepage. There's several posts in the forums as well that are unanswered.

#16 11-16-2009 23:04:19

rainbow

hikarushirou wrote:

I don't think funpic works anymore... doesn't seem to be monitored at all. I couldn't activate mySQL on either Firefox or IE. It just goes to the homepage. There's several posts in the forums as well that are unanswered.

I tried Funpic a couple of months back and when I tried to register, it ignored my e-mail address. I did a Whois look up on Funpic.org and Funpic.de and their funpic.org and their domain name (located in Dresden, Germany) expires on 1 December 2009. Their service is unreliable and there are strong concerns that the website could go under if the domain name is not renewed.

#17 05-25-2010 09:17:04

smithdwsn

I have uploaded a web site on that. It is very good. It consists of various nice features and functionalities. There is no problem about the uploading and maintaining. It is really good.

#18 11-08-2010 17:58:29

Waccoon
Administrator

Just set up a new oekaki for someone, and this host seems to work just fine:

http://www.000webhost.com

After uploading all the files, though, the service did a scan for malicious scripts, which took a few hours.  After the scan, the site is working fine.

#19 12-02-2010 00:48:49

confusednewbie

Waccoon wrote:

Just set up a new oekaki for someone, and this host seems to work just fine:

www000webhost.com

After uploading all the files, though, the service did a scan for malicious scripts, which took a few hours.  After the scan, the site is working fine.

So I'm a newbie to these things, and I used SmartFTP to put the oekaki files on 000webhost, but I don't know where to go from there.
Thanks!

#20 12-02-2010 01:51:52

Waccoon
Administrator

Let's see if I remember.

000webhost wants all writable folders to be CHMOD to 777.  Log into your account via FTP, and find the "public_html" folder.  CHMOD that to 777.  Then change the permissions of the "pictures", "resource", "templates", and "avatars" folders to 777.  You will have to do this again after running the oekaki installer, to make sure they are set correctly (some of the folders are created by the oekaki installer).

I believe you have a section of your CPanel where you can set up the database.  When you do, you'll have to choose a database username, database name, and password.  Remember these three, because you'll have to type them into the oekaki installer later.  The host will prefix your account name to the database, and the prefix is the same as your FTP login.  So, if your FTP login is "j4593565", then your database name will end up being "j4593565_oekaki".  If you forget to type the prefix into the oekaki installer, the board won't install.

Also, they use a custom database host.  You will not type "localhost" into the oekaki installer.  It should be something like "mysql5.000webhost.com", or whatever is specified in the CPanel where you set up the database.  Read all the information in your database CPanel to make sure things haven't changed since I last visited.

Once the folders are CHMOD to 777, and you have the database information, simply browse to your web site and the installer should run automatically.  If something doesn't work, it's almost certain that the database information is wrong.  The installer will tell you.

#21 12-04-2010 19:56:27

K-ToF

anyone else having trouble with funpic?

had everything working fine last week, been away from the oekaki a while, today i get:

Could not connect to the SQL database (API: MySQLi)
DB: Access denied for user 'ktof'@'192.168.144.4' (using password: YES)

if someone figures out a fix let me know

#22 01-05-2011 16:41:42

Fibonacci

For the Colombiafur (Colombian furry community) Oekaki we're using Byethost: http://www.byethost.com/
Apparently X10Hosting has gotten better now, and it was proposed for an early version of said Oekaki, but my ISP blocked it for unknown reasons so we ditched it.

#23 01-05-2011 20:50:54

Richard Wolf VI

As Fibo said, we originally planned to use X10, but the server they gave me (Starka, if anyone wants to know) had several issues: FTP access was very flaky, databases were down frequently, and a major Colombian ISP blocked it.

I've also tried 000webhost, but as Waccon said, they make you CHMOD 777 you writable folders, so that didn't seem very nice for security.

Awardspace is kinda short on the storage side. Even when they improved recently, I feel is somewhat limiting. They offer 250 MB storage and a 2 MB filesize limit.

We've settled with Byethost, which overcomes all the issues with X10. The only annoying thing I've found is that 404s are redirected to an external page, but that's easy to fix via .htaccess.

Last edited by Richard Wolf VI (01-06-2011 00:38:40)

#24 01-08-2011 03:33:17

Fibonacci

Oh, we forgot to mention that Byethost forbids adult content. Does any of the free hosts mentioned until now allow it?

#25 01-15-2011 23:14:59

Waccoon
Administrator

PHP4 is pretty old and no longer being updated.  I would think every site is using PHP5 by now.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB