NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 05-28-2010 00:18:14

Jaz

Can't draw anything with PaintBBS

I've had this problem ever since my Mom installed Windows on my brother's Hard Drive. This was working on the old one but i think its because the old one had a old version of Java. I've uninstalled Java a bunch of times to get PaintBBS to work and nothing isn't working!

Here's a picture of what i get each time i pull it up.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i154/ … roblem.png

I know there's nothing wrong with the computer but i think it has something to do with Java from the looks of it.

Help?

#2 05-28-2010 04:00:49

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Can't draw anything with PaintBBS

I've seen this a few times, particularly with computers that have ATI brand video cards.  If you know what type of video card or GPU you have, try looking for updated drivers.  Missing buttons are caused by compatibility issues between Java and DirectDraw.

Is this happening with every oekaki you visit, or a specific board?  Wax Poteto 5.8.0 changed how Java uses DirectDraw so that glitches should be less common.  If you're using an older version of Wax Poteto, you may want to try updating to 5.8.0.

#3 05-29-2010 13:14:49

Jaz

Waccoon wrote:

I've seen this a few times, particularly with computers that have ATI brand video cards.  If you know what type of video card or GPU you have, try looking for updated drivers.  Missing buttons are caused by compatibility issues between Java and DirectDraw.

Is this happening with every oekaki you visit, or a specific board?  Wax Poteto 5.8.0 changed how Java uses DirectDraw so that glitches should be less common.  If you're using an older version of Wax Poteto, you may want to try updating to 5.8.0.

One oekaki i tried drawing is “Wax Poteto” 5.6.4  and that particular one i used to draw YEARS ago and i had no problems with it until now. However, this other one i joined recently a few months back is “Wax Poteto” 5.7.1. I'm not sure what i should do.

How do i update Wax Poteto? I'm unsure about updating things like Oekaki and stuff. Though, i have been planning to make one sooner or later as soon as this gets fixed. :p

#4 06-30-2010 17:24:35

arisidhe

I second Jaz's request, Wac.  I'm a little confused as to how to update Wax Poteto.  I currently have the 5.7.1 version and am trying to update to the 5.8.0; I take it then that I should be using the 5.7.0 Patch? 
From the readme file in the 5.8.0 zip, it says that I should be dumping an "Overwrite" folder into my Oekaki folder on my server.  Is the entire 5.7.0 patch this "overwrite" folder?  Is there anything else I need to do?  I just want to check before I try updating my oekaki. 

Also, if I can throw in another question here; is it possible in any way to change a Wax Poteto oekaki into a Wacintaki Poteto and still import pictures, comments, and the like?  Some of my users keep having problems with drawing on some of the applets, and though I haven't had any of the problems myself, I was wondering if switching to Wacintaki would fix those problems.  I'm kind of hoping that Wax 5.8.0 will fix some of those, though. 

Anyway, sorry for kind of butting in, but I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks a ton for the continuing support, Wac!

Last edited by arisidhe (06-30-2010 17:29:28)

#5 07-01-2010 04:00:10

Waccoon
Administrator

I second Jaz's request, Wac.  I'm a little confused as to how to update Wax Poteto.  I currently have the 5.7.1 version and am trying to update to the 5.8.0; I take it then that I should be using the 5.7.0 Patch?

Yes, the "Patch for 5.7.0" is what you need.  There's no "overwrite" folder in there, so just copy all the files to the server and you'll be all set.

I've made different sets of patches to reduce the number of files that have to be copied to the server.  You can use one of the larger patches, but it takes longer.  The "overwrite" folder contains all the new files that should be copied to the server.  Everything that is not in the "overwrite" folder should not be uploaded.

Also, if I can throw in another question here; is it possible in any way to change a Wax Poteto oekaki into a Wacintaki Poteto and still import pictures, comments, and the like?

Yes.  Wacintaki and Wax use the same database and config files these days, so you can just replace the Wax files with Wacintaki files, and all the comments, pictures, and animations should work fine.  The trick is copying the right files.  You'd need the "Wacintaki Poteto 1.5.1, full install", and then copy everything in the "oekaki" folder to the server, overwriting all the Wax files.  If you're comfortable giving me your server login, I can do it for you.

The problems with the applets won't be any different with Wacintaki, however.  Both oekakis are using the same applet code.  For now, you should only switch to Wacintaki if you want some of the new features.  If you've made custom templates with Wax Poteto, they won't work with Wacintaki.

#6 07-01-2010 12:37:44

arisidhe

Thanks so much for the help, Wac!  It updated without a hitch.  smile
I think that I'll be sticking with Wax Poteto, as I prefer its design, but thanks so much for all the help!

#7 10-07-2010 05:53:40

TermPapers

I also have the same problem that can not make the Paint in same version and want to use the same one.I think that that I will be stick with it.

Term Papers

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB