NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 04-27-2010 03:46:03

MariRosa

CCS custom layout design and more... :)

Hello Waccon, remember me from a lonnnng time ago? (you might have known me as peachtea or some other name) Btw, I LOVE what you've added to the new version of oekaki. You've done a fantabulous job and I encourage this project to get even better over time. You are awesome, sir!
Well, I'm back and I'm at it again with customizing the layout:  http://oekaki.marirosa.net/    It's "beta" right now until I officially announce the opening.
Still learning basic PHP but have gotten up to date with CSS and DIVs. (it's been a while!)
Tables and <br> are so last Thursday. =p

Suggestions & things I'm working on/I'd love to help with:

- Layout redesign: better user interface, updated css/html code, css menus
- Default Avatar for users who do not have an avatar. (need help with coding)
- Change prev & next buttons to graphical arrows. (need help with coding)
- Profile needs updated spots for twitter, facebook, deviantart, etc. social networking sites. I don't know anyone who uses ICQ anymore hmm
- Organizing the post links with graphical buttons organized for better viewing.
- Changing style of date stamp
- Replying to posts
- Make pop-up window links, pop up in a CSS highslide: http://highslide.com/
- will probably think of more later...

I have no problem helping out and finding the CSS to use...

Thank you,
~Mari Rosa

Last edited by MariRosa (04-27-2010 03:46:49)

#2 04-30-2010 05:46:08

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: CCS custom layout design and more... :)

Hello, and thanks for the kind words.  I certainly do remember you.  wink

Development has been pretty much in the air for years, now.  I'm adding little things here and there and updating it to work with PHP and MySQL updates, but the fundamental design of the board is over 6 years old and really need to be rewritten from scratch, and I don't have time for that.  Java is also becoming a massive problem, especially with Apple computers.  Once the future of Java, Flash, and HTML5 shakes out, I'll take another look at rewriting everything.  It's nice to know that CSS is working properly in all the major browsers these days, though.  Both IE and Firefox have been very troublesome in the past.

...css menus

The problem with this approach is that most menu designs depend on JavaScript.  Not all, but most do.  Aside from the fact that many people are using script blockers, banner ads tend to butcher dynamic menus.  I've explicitly avoided JavaScript whenever possible due to compatibility issues.  In fact, JavaScript abuse is the whole reason why I discontinued Wax Poteto.

- Change prev & next buttons to graphical arrows.

Actually, this can be done strictly with CSS in the template, which includes removing the words "Prev" and "Next"

- Profile needs updated spots for twitter, facebook, deviantart, etc. social networking sites.

I did start thinking about this with the "links" property in each member's database entry.  The profile editor has to be updated to support this, though.  In many cases, adding a feature is easy, but writing the user interface to go along with it is time consuming.

- Organizing the post links with graphical buttons organized for better viewing.

This is a bit of a problem depending one what canvas sizes you allow.  But then, I've always favored words over symbols.

- Changing style of date stamp

This can be done by editing the "hacks.php" file.  Several date stamp formats are listed there, for various interface elements.

- Replying to posts

Yeah, that's the next big feature, along with "quick comment" code.

- Make pop-up window links, pop up in a CSS highslide

The "boot.php" file has a section that allows you to swap Litebox with another type of image viewer.  I presume Highslide uses a similar trigger as Litebox.  Search for $pic_viewer_norm to see how it works.

#3 05-12-2010 13:51:35

MariRosa

Re: CCS custom layout design and more... :)

Thanks so much for the replys, extremely helpful!

I hear ya about development and time, it's tough. I had been dealing with my share of life things and eye surgery for my Keratoconus. (which is healing up nicely)
Yeah, that code is pretty old stuff and the whole compatibility on multiple platforms is always a pain, but its pretty much a waiting game. But seeing how far web coding has come now is awesome.

I'll see what I can do based on your info. Thanks smile

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB