NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 09-13-2009 23:18:18

rainbow

Java Heap Error tutorial link question...

Wac, more than a year ago, there was this forum thread regarding Java Heap errors that were posted by Kameloh on his now defunct OekakiArt website and I was wondering this.

I was searching for fixes regarding Java Heap error fixes for Windows, MacOS and Linux on Google, but unfortunately, I didn't have too much luck in returning results for the issue. I'm also planning on updating my faq.php file as the FAQ regarding the Java Heap error is at this old URL link that points to a 404 error message, which means that OekakiArt shut down at the end of last month.

Is there anyone that can provide a tutorial on how to fix the Java Heap errors in Windows, MacOS and Linux? I was going to write down a tutorial on how to fix the Java Heap errors myself, but unfortunately, I can't provide tutorials on MacOS and Linux-based operating systems, because I don't have those PCs. sad

The Java Heap errors as you may know are related to memory limits assocatied with either large canvases or multiple layer sizes, by the way.

#2 09-14-2009 04:41:07

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Java Heap Error tutorial link question...

Open up the Windows control panel, and double-click on "Java".  Click the "Java" tab, then "View", and this will bring up "Java Environment Runtime Settings".  New parameters can be typed in under the "Runtime Parameters" section.  Parameters all start with a hyphen, and are separated by spaces.

Here's a YouTube video that shows how to do this with Windows systems:  Adding Java Runtime Parameters.

In case that's not accessible, here's a web page that briefly outlines what must be done:  (Osola.com).

Apparently the default settings are "-Xms32m -Xmx128m", so doubling that makes sense.  Try typing "-Xms64m -Xmx256m" into the "Runtime Parameters" section.

DISCLAIMER:
The solution was easy to find, but I can't get it to work.  Every time I type in new parameters and click "OK", and go back into the control panel, the parameters are wiped out.  Java refuses to remember whatever I type in!  I just read on an Ubuntu Linux forum that people are having this issue on Linux as well.  If anyone can help me with this problem, that would be appreciated.  It would be very nice to not have to edit the Java policy file directly, which is a severe pain.

PS - Java sucks.  Seriously.

#3 09-14-2009 11:02:03

rainbow

Re: Java Heap Error tutorial link question...

Waccoon wrote:

Open up the Windows control panel, and double-click on "Java".  Click the "Java" tab, then "View", and this will bring up "Java Environment Runtime Settings".  New parameters can be typed in under the "Runtime Parameters" section.  Parameters all start with a hyphen, and are separated by spaces.

Here's a YouTube video that shows how to do this with Windows systems:  Adding Java Runtime Parameters.

In case that's not accessible, here's a web page that briefly outlines what must be done:  (Osola.com).

Apparently the default settings are "-Xms32m -Xmx128m", so doubling that makes sense.  Try typing "-Xms64m -Xmx256m" into the "Runtime Parameters" section.

DISCLAIMER:
The solution was easy to find, but I can't get it to work.  Every time I type in new parameters and click "OK", and go back into the control panel, the parameters are wiped out.  Java refuses to remember whatever I type in!  I just read on an Ubuntu Linux forum that people are having this issue on Linux as well.  If anyone can help me with this problem, that would be appreciated.  It would be very nice to not have to edit the Java policy file directly, which is a severe pain.

PS - Java sucks.  Seriously.

Thanks for the help. I'll jot this down on notepad and remember it. smile

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB