NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 11-15-2008 19:54:25

rainbow

Cannot use PaintBBS with latest JRE.

As mentioned in another topic late last month, Pinkie had a problem trying to get PaintBBS to work correctly under the latest version of Java, but now I have a problem.

Ever since I recently installed the Sun Java Runtime Enviroment version 1.6 update 10 build 33 and I found that I can no longer use the PaintBBS applet on my PC. The PaintBBS applet loads correctly, but I cannot see the Submit, Undo, Fill or the squared background of the applet itself.

The host operating system is Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1 (64-bit) with 4 GB of memory installed. The video graphics driver that I'm using is a nVIDIA GeForce 8400M G with 256 MB of video memory. The latest version of the driver that I have installed is version 156.15 (7.15.11.5615) and the search results for the nVIDIA SmartScan tells me that Lenovo requires that I download the driver for my GPU from their support site. sad

Is this a bug related to the Java applet itself? If so, how I can get it fixed?

Installing JRE 1.6u10 worked without problems under Windows XP Service Pack 3 as a guest operating system running under VirtualBox 2.0.4, by the way.

#2 11-16-2008 02:55:23

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Cannot use PaintBBS with latest JRE.

I'm wondering if this is a Vista problem.  I'm using XP, and I have had no issues of this sort.

I'm afraid I don't have access to a Vista machine to test this out.  XP is used exclusively at work.

I have a more modern build of PaintBBS you can try, though.  I recompiled it myself with a newer Java compiler, so it might work out:  PaintBBS 2.3 Wac.  This is a slightly refactored version I made while investigating the annoying SocketPermission() issue.

#3 11-16-2008 17:10:25

rainbow

Waccoon wrote:

I'm wondering if this is a Vista problem.  I'm using XP, and I have had no issues of this sort.

I'm afraid I don't have access to a Vista machine to test this out.  XP is used exclusively at work.

I have a more modern build of PaintBBS you can try, though.  I recompiled it myself with a newer Java compiler, so it might work out:  PaintBBS 2.3 Wac.  This is a slightly refactored version I made while investigating the annoying SocketPermission() issue.

Thanks for the link! Incase anything goes wrong, I'll backup the PaintBBS.jar and run some tests under the Windows Vista (host operating system), Windows XP (VirtualBox) and Windows 98SE (VirtualPC).

Edit: Okay, Wac. The good news is that the PaintBBS applet works properly on Windows Vista with Sun JRE 1.6u10. It also worked under the Windows XP guest.

But the bad news are the following:

1. Under Windows XP SP3 and Internet Explorer 7 with Microsoft Java Virtual Machine installed, the PaintBBS java applet does not load at all with the error message "load: class pbbs.PaintBBS not found".

2. Under Sun JRE 1.4.2u18 (final), a red X occurs with the error message "Loading Java Applet Failed". The Java applet was tested under Windows 98 SE.

I realise that there are a handful of people use older versions of Windows with either Microsoft JVM, Sun JRE 1.4 or Sun JRE 1.5 and that they are unable to afford to upgrade to either Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows Vista and they could be upset that PaintBBS will no longer work on their operating system. I even fear that PaintBBS 2.3_w may not even work on Sun JRE older than 1.6u10. This doesn't seem to be very fair. sad

How can I fix the "load: class pbbs.PaintBBS not found" issue to make it compatible with older operating systems?

My oekaki was designed for Windows NT 4.0 (or Windows 98), Internet Explorer 6, Firefox 2 with Sun Java 1.4_2 or better, by the way.

Last edited by rainbow (11-16-2008 18:15:36)

#4 11-17-2008 03:15:36

Waccoon
Administrator

I could try recompiling a new version with a lower compiler stepping.  This should allow the applet to work with older versions of Java.  I haven't had much luck getting it to run on my Mac, though, which is why I haven't started distributing my modified version.

#5 11-17-2008 05:37:24

rainbow

Waccoon wrote:

I could try recompiling a new version with a lower compiler stepping.  This should allow the applet to work with older versions of Java.  I haven't had much luck getting it to run on my Mac, though, which is why I haven't started distributing my modified version.

Wac, that sounds awesome for users who have Microsoft JVM and older versions of Sun Java (no lower than version 1.4 since Windows 9x might cause problems operating the applet under JRE 1.5). Some of my oekaki users even access the site via a Mac and it would be disappointing to see PaintBBS 2.3_w not work on their computer.

I'm hoping that the recompiled PaintBBS applet will work on Windows NT 4.0, Windows 98 or later. If you have the recompiled version of PaintBBS, please let me know. I'm pretty lucky that I have the original (unmodified) applet backed up.

Edit: I was wondering if the recompiled version with a lower compiler stepping is up. However, it was hard to tell, because NineChime went down earlier this week. I really hate to see someone complain about PaintBBS 2.3_w not working at all with Microsoft JVM or with older versions of Java. sad

Last edited by rainbow (11-21-2008 18:16:09)

#6 12-03-2008 18:52:58

rainbow

Okay, Sun recently updated their Java Runtime Enviroment to version 1.6u11 and it won't install on versions 1.6u7 or earlier. I had to uninstall JRE 1.6u7 and install JRE 1.6u11. Did it help resolve the PaintBBS problem? Unfortunately, it still doesn't work under Windows Vista, because of the absence of the Submit, Undo, Fill buttons and the squared background of the applet itself.

This might be a design limitation under JRE 1.6u10 and later and Sun maybe doing this to improve security. In short, PaintBBS support may have been dropped and it may require serious rework that may not be justified.

I was hoping that you have the complied version of the PaintBBS applet that will support older versions of Java as well as the unsupported Microsoft JVM. I'm saddened to see that JRE 1.6u7 under Windows Vista is the last version of the Java applet that will support PaintBBS. sad

I'm gonna have to update the FAQ to clarify this issue.

#7 12-06-2008 04:21:48

Waccoon
Administrator

OK, to clear up a few things (because Java version numbers are confusing):

PaintBBS 2.22_8 was the last official version of PaintBBS.  I decompiled it, refactored it a bit, and gave it a new, unofficial version number, 2.3_w.

My mod was originally written to be compliant with Java 5, so it wouldn't work properly on older Java installations, or Java 5 on PPC Macs.  So, it was never officially released with the Wacintaki distribution.

I have now removed some of the Java 5 refactoring I did so the applet will run on Java 1.4, but it still includes some fixes.  It was compiled with Java 6 in Java 1.4 compatibility mode.  I've also tested it on my PPC Mac, so it will also now work on old Macs.  I never figured out why Java 5 code won't work properly on PPC Macs using Java 5, but now that's no longer an issue.

So... test this new version (PaintBBS 2.3_w) and let me know if you have any luck.  If not, I'll try recompiling the original PaintBBS 2.22_8 without any modifications and see if that works.  If not, then I think PaintBBS with Java 1.6u10+ on Vista is not going to work.

#8 12-06-2008 08:25:29

rainbow

Waccoon wrote:

OK, to clear up a few things (because Java version numbers are confusing):

PaintBBS 2.22_8 was the last official version of PaintBBS.  I decompiled it, refactored it a bit, and gave it a new, unofficial version number, 2.3_w.

My mod was originally written to be compliant with Java 5, so it wouldn't work properly on older Java installations, or Java 5 on PPC Macs.  So, it was never officially released with the Wacintaki distribution.

I have now removed some of the Java 5 refactoring I did so the applet will run on Java 1.4, but it still includes some fixes.  It was compiled with Java 6 in Java 1.4 compatibility mode.  I've also tested it on my PPC Mac, so it will also now work on old Macs.  I never figured out why Java 5 code won't work properly on PPC Macs using Java 5, but now that's no longer an issue.

So... test this new version (PaintBBS 2.3_w) and let me know if you have any luck.  If not, I'll try recompiling the original PaintBBS 2.22_8 without any modifications and see if that works.  If not, then I think PaintBBS with Java 1.6u10+ on Vista is not going to work.

Thanks for the link to the download to the recompiled version of PaintBBS. I'll try to update the PaintBBS applet once again later today to see how it goes and I'll edit this reply for the results.

#9 12-21-2008 00:53:15

Waccoon
Administrator

Any update on this?  I don't have a Vista machine on which to try the new PaintBBS.

#10 12-21-2008 05:31:51

rainbow

Waccoon wrote:

Any update on this?  I don't have a Vista machine on which to try the new PaintBBS.

That's no good. sad

I'll try to update the PaintBBS applet later this week to see if it works well on older Java applets. I've been really busy lately.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB