NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 08-01-2009 13:28:32

Tiger

Java working correctly? Lots of erros

Hey guys, um, sorry if I'm not posting this correctly, if I did this wrong feel free to delete it.
I'm not hosting my own oekaki (not yet, anyway tongue Still learning about web design.) I have not found any sites or help to these problems, and I hope you guys can help out. I can contact the owner of the oekaki and mention to her what might be the problem. I'd like to hear form you guys first though, because she has a lot of things on her hand and I don't want to stress her out with all the things I need help with. I've talked to other oekaki members but they don't know an answer.

I'm having a lot of problems with the tools. I am using Wacintaki version 1.4.1, and use FireFox. I have downloaded the most recent version of Java. On the site, after installing, it shows the little guy dancing, which means it's working. I have checked my Firefox settings, all Java programs are enabled, as well as the Java stuff in the Windows Control Panel. I have been drawing on oekaki for years, and none of this stuff has ever happened.

I use PaintBBS. The bezier tool doesn't work right. It won't show on the screen, unless I click two times and the curve shows. This prevents me form doing lineart on the picture. Both coloring and erasing have problems. When I use them sometimes, in order to see what they have done I have to zoom n then zoom out. It's really frustrating when I'm trying to do some detailed work. Also lately the scroll bars won't work when I'm trying too move them to see different parts of the canvas. And also, sometimes the applet area around the canvas turns black.

Any help would be appreciated. I can't really start my own oekaki if I have so many errors with it.

#2 08-01-2009 23:39:15

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Java working correctly? Lots of erros

Short version:  I've finally found a fix for this, and will be adding it to 1.4.3, shortly.

If you're daring, you can get a fix here:  Java DirectX Fix (1.4.3).  Please let me know if it works!

TL;DR version:  Java has had a lot of problems with its drawing system over the last couple years, particularly with the addition of Direct3D support.  Previously, I was using JNLP files to try to fix this, but newer versions of Java don't like the JNLP files.  While researching the new JNLP format, I came across a really simple fix for Java's drawing programs.  All you have to do is add a couple of new parameters to the applet code:

Code:

<param name="java_arguments" value="-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true" />
<param name="java_arguments" value="-Dsun.java2d.d3d=false" />

This disables all DirectX support, and seems to solve the drawing/zooming problems with the applets.  Apple OSX has also had a bunch of issues on older PowerPC-based Macs.  I'm going to check if these parameters help with slow performance on the Mac, as well.

I have a couple small fixes coming with Wacintaki 1.4.3, shortly, so once I'm reasonably sure that disabling DirectX support won't cause more problems, 1.4.3 will have this fix as standard.

Oh yes, and unlike the JNLP files, I can confirm that disabling DirectDraw this way will not interfere with caching.  So, if you reload the drawing page, you should be able to get your canvas back.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB