NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 07-01-2009 07:11:22

Silverpaws006

Can't retouch images.

Well, I've received complains from our members saying that they can't edit/retouch their pictures.
Whatever tool the use gives them only blank screens.

What seems to be the problem here?
and can you please tell me how to fix it or what to do?

Thanks in advance smile

=====
Among the complains btw:

"When I try to retouch the pic 183, as example, this is what i get.
i42.tinypic.com/4khgzl.png

The others, the problem that I click "upload" and after counting the KB in the pic (ex: 30KB/30KB), it stays on there without changing to the page to put data on the pic.

I've tried the same on XIVKAKI so I can -kinda- discard that's a problem of my computer. hmm "

"For some reason, when I try to draw and I upload, it won't let me finish what I started. It comes up as blank screens. I worked REALLY hard on a picture with a Glaceon, and a Vaporeon, and I still couldn't edit it, and in the end, it came up as a blank picture! One day, you see what I did so far, the next, it's gone!!!! I worked so hard on it and in the end, it gets erased for no reason!!!"

"Same thing happened with me and my FLICKERBASTA picture! And that was on Chibipaint. CHIBIPAINT HAS NEVER FAILED ME."

"That mewtwo picture that I couldn't finish on the other board, well, I couldn't finish it because everytime I retouched, either when I pressed the "undo" button, it would delete an entire layer, or it displays this annoying messange when I try to upload, saying I can't upload it, or something like that. One time I pressed the "undo" button and It created about 200 extra layers...This was on shipainter pro, BTW."

"I can't re-touch pics D:
i tried to re-touch that smeargle pic and i lost the picture when i did it...
i had to upload it sad "

#2 07-02-2009 03:51:09

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Can't retouch images.

Any number of things can cause this, but the most common are a Java caching issue or a specific security policy on the server.

To help figure out what's wrong, I've registered for your board.  Once my membership is active, I'll try posting and retouching something to see if the server is doing something strange.

#3 07-03-2009 04:38:24

Waccoon
Administrator

If you try to access the pictures folder directly, the server blocks access with a 403 Forbidden error.  This is uncommon, but not unusual.  However, I tried to directly access the picture I drew, and it displayed an error.  Click on this link to see if it works: (removed).  I intentionally chose a really old picture, so it would not likely be in your web browser's cache.  For me, neither of the previous two links works the way they should.

Now, what could be happening here is that the server will only display images if the HTTP referrer matches your web address.  That is, images can only be displayed in the oekaki, but not accessed directly through a link without visiting and looking at the actual oekaki itself.  Trying to look at avatars directly by typing in the avatar's name in the web browser address bar does the same thing.

This is a problem, because Java (the part of the web browser that runs the paint program) does not pass an HTTP referrer.  Therefore, the server refuses to let the oekaki applets load any pictures so they can be retouched, and the server will do this for both oekakis as well as uploaded pictures.  This is definitely related to your web server's security policy.  The question is how to disable it.

The first and easiest thing to try is to give the "pictures" folder less restrictive security permissions.  I assume you're familiar with FTP and uploading the PHP files to the server.  If so, then you can try changing the CHMOD number of the pictures folder.  Most servers have a default CHMOD number of 755 for folders.  Try using 775, and if that doesn't work, try 777.  Allowing looser permissions is fine for a folder that only contains pictures, so we don't have to worry about security issues.  However, some servers don't like 777 and might totally block access to the folder.  If that happens, you can go back to 775 or 755.

If that doesn't work, we can try using a custom ".htaccess" file to tell the server to allow full access to the pictures folder.  That might not be possible, though, so try setting the CHMOD number to 775, first, and let me know what happens.

Also, keep an eye on your space usage.  The board is using about 250 Megabytes of space on the server, spanning 136 pages worth of pictures over just 4 months.  That's a lot of pictures.  Check the control panel of your web server to see how much disk space you're allowed to use.  If your limit is, say, 500 Megabytes, you may have to reduce the total number of pictures that may be stored at a time, to make sure you don't go over the limit in a few more months.  It would just be a good idea to check.  Nothing needs to be done right now.

Last edited by Waccoon (07-03-2009 08:52:03)

#4 07-03-2009 07:20:58

Silverpaws006

Ahhh, no wonder.
All oekaki folder perms are set to 755.

It's my fault, ( My control panel is CPanelX btw )
for the protection of the other parts of the site, I disabled indexing, that's why you've been getting 403 errors.
Also, with the concern for bandwidth thieves, I enabled hotlink protection.
Reason why you can't view the pics.

This is the first oekaki I've ever hosted,
and as a webmaster, it was just my security concerns.

Okay, I understand the situation,
I'll disable the hotlink protection and allow indexing for the oekaki folders.
So I think those links can work now, and supposedly, it'll resolve the retouch problems(?)

Also, I'm on a shared server with 2GB allowed disk space, 1GB I specifically reserve for the oekaki.
Do you think it's enough to hold 10,000 pics? ( That's the limit I've set ) I don't mind if it exceeds a little.

Please tell me if these are all that I need to do,
I'll consider this problem resolved after your confirmation smile

I think that's all.
Thanks for all the concern and taking the time to help us out,
I really appreciate it smile

#5 07-03-2009 08:48:53

Waccoon
Administrator

Ah, yes, hotlink prevention would do it.  From what I can tell, it's working fine, now.  Feel free to delete that "picture" I drew.

Turning off indexes would be fine if you wish to do that.  It won't affect the oekaki.

Also, leaving the folder permissions at 755 would be fine.  If the diagnostics screen on the oekaki doesn't say "Locked" for any of the folders, then everything is working.

1GB of space should be enough for ~6,000 pictures.  The diagnostics screen shows how much space is being used.

#6 07-03-2009 10:20:16

Silverpaws006

Ah okay,
and again, thank you lots!
I really appreciate the help smile

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB