NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 06-18-2009 14:41:12

lxnvk

Email system problem

Hello
I'm running a Ubuntu server, with LAMP. I recetnly installed the Wacintaki Poteto oekaki system, frsh install, version  1.4.2.  The system is untouched, I haven't edited anything for now. II have a problem as the system doesn't send any emails, yet after registration it says all the user needs to do is chekc his mail for a confirmation mail. Then I tried editing the common.php like described in one of your threds, to use PEAR::Mail, but then I get an error how the BBS mailer doesn't work and that the user needs to wait for admin confirmation. So now I put it back to normal and again it says how it works, yet it doesn't.  Am I missing some software? Or is it a configuration problem?

Alex

Last edited by lxnvk (06-18-2009 16:56:59)

#2 06-19-2009 01:07:51

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Email system problem

Unfortunately, PHP doesn't get a return code from the server to confirm that the e-mail has been sent or not.  So, there's no way for the oekaki to tell if e-mails are being sent, only if PHP has e-mail support enabled.  Some free web hosts don't allow PHP to send mail, so that's where the oekaki error messages come from.

So, chances are PHP doesn't have e-mail support enabled or configured correctly.  If programs other than PHP can send e-mail with no problem, you may want to check your "php.ini" file.  I run PHP on a Windows machine, so I'm not quite sure how sendmail works under Linux.

Also, I think there is a difference between running PHP stand-alone verses running it as mod_php under Apache.  If you have one of those all-in-one packages that sets up Apache, MySQL, and PHP all together, PHP support would be handled by mod_php, which is an Apache module.  This is faster than running the PHP executable directly, but it also means the config file would be in the Apache directory, and not the PHP directory.  It's possible that if you verified the "php.ini" file in the PHP directory, that would be the wrong config file.

#3 06-19-2009 03:18:44

lxnvk

Well you see the problem is I don't really have a mail server software installed so I'm wondering was I supposed to install it? If yes, which one? (Postfix, exim, Dovecot...?) Other applications aren't sending emails as I don't have any applications that are supposed to send emails installed on this server, since I run an email server on a separate machine. So are you suggesting me to try running WAMP? If so, do I need any software for sendmail there, or should it work? Is it true that in windows, you can set PHP to use the mail function on an external SMTP server?
I'm running PHP as a standalone and php.ini looks fine to me, though I don't see why itdoesn't report that the mail isn't sent, cause I clrearly don't have a mail software...

#4 06-19-2009 15:15:20

lxnvk

Oh I figured out the problem, I installed exim4 and set it to use an external SMTP server so it works. I'll still be moving the whole thing to another server and I'd still like to know, do you suggest me to use Windows(WAMP) instead of Linux(LAMP) ?

#5 06-20-2009 19:27:54

Waccoon
Administrator

Linux is likely a better choice as a server.  Just like I know little about Linux on a desktop, I know little about Windows on a server.

Wacintaki is designed to run on both Windows and Linux (as well as non-Apache web servers), so there shouldn't be a problem either way.  I prefer to develop and test on a Windows machine, and then run the board on a Linux server.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB