NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 08-02-2008 21:39:15

Bass

problem using avatars.

ITT.
Every time I try to upload an avatar through the administration>profile page, I get this:

Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 34941 is not allowed to access /www/vndv.com/y/a/f/yaf-oekaki/htdocs/oekaki/avatars owned by uid 2001 in /www/vndv.com/y/a/f/yaf-oekaki/htdocs/oekaki/edit_avatar.php on line 102

Warning: fopen(avatars/b4326a380271d4e47c7550d29be240eb.gif) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /www/vndv.com/y/a/f/yaf-oekaki/htdocs/oekaki/edit_avatar.php on line 102
File did not upload properly. Try again.

Try again.

I am using Wax Poteto 5.6.4.

#2 08-03-2008 02:14:07

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: problem using avatars.

Safe mode is a real pain.  The short answer is that you cannot upload files to servers that have safe mode turned on.

Are you able to upload pictures with the "Upload" feature (not with the applets)?  If so, you may be able to change the permissions of the avatars folder to get around this limitation.  It doesn't always work, however.

#3 08-03-2008 17:36:45

Bass

Yes, uploading files works just fine.
The probem is, when I try to CHMOD the avatars folder, it tells me the operation is not permitted.
Or was that the wrong way to go about it?

#4 08-03-2008 23:12:46

Waccoon
Administrator

Ah, you have a server that locks you out of folders created by PHP.

Try downloading and running this file, and see if it works:  fixavatar

What it does it attempt to CHMOD the folder within PHP so it can be accessed by programs other than PHP (including FTP).  If that doesn't fix the file upload issue, it should at least allow you to change the folder and its contents via FTP.  That would allow us to try a few more things.

#5 08-04-2008 18:30:01

Bass

Well, it lets me CHMOD the avatars folder now, but it still gives me the safe mode dialog when I try to upload.

#6 08-05-2008 01:15:08

Waccoon
Administrator

Drat.  The only way to get this working is to give the avatars folder the exact same privileges as the pictures folder.  This requires use of the CHOWN command (rather than CHMOD), and I'm not quite sure how to do this without access to a shell.  I don't think it can be done within PHP or FTP at all.

You might have to ask a system administrator to do this for you.  Either safe mode needs to be turned off, or the avatars folder must have the same CHOWN value as the pictures folder.  What confuses me is how the board ever worked in the first place.

One last thing you can try is to delete the avatars folder from the server via FTP and make a new one in its place.  That will reset all permissions.  Then, try CHMODing the folder to 775, and if that doesn't work, then try 777.  I doubt that will fix it, though.  It depends how PHP's group access is configured on the server.

#7 08-05-2008 20:38:21

Bass

Hey, looks like deleting and remaking the avatars folder did the trick.
Thanks.

#8 08-06-2008 04:15:13

Waccoon
Administrator

With safe mode on?  Wow.  Your server is pretty well behaved, actually.  wink

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB