NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 04-07-2008 18:08:53

~*Eevee1*~

Editing Picture Error

When editing pictures this error pops up:
---
Error reading picture 3118

Use your browser button to go back.
---
It saves the image just fine though, it's just not bringing you to the page to bump it.
I have a feeling it's because I've used some pages from an older version of Wac since I was too lazy to paste the code into the new page files. I was wondering which pages I would have to check for a problem like this? I know it's not the actual bbs pages because it doesn't change when I upload the untouched files.
The only files I've edited were the index, bbs, header and footer pages though. =\

Ah anyway, any help is appreciated!

Last edited by ~*Eevee1*~ (04-07-2008 18:26:20)

Owner of the Suta-Raito Oekakis:
Sutaro Sketcher
SR Oekaki
SRO is the merged form of SRON and SROA, with new templates and funnn contests <3

#2 04-08-2008 06:22:44

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Editing Picture Error

Hmm... this problem happens on the S-R Advanced board, but not Sutaro Sketcher.  I have a suspicion that the "origart" database field is not working properly, and might need to be checked.  Use this little hack to see if that field is working right:  testart.php.  It will test the field, first, and if it doesn't seem to be working right, will give you the option to fix it.  Note any errors it prints and get back to me.

By the way, I noticed a couple things:

I fixed a small problem with Firefox concerning the applet resize mod I gave you.  It's now official, so you can remove the JavaScript code and simply use this new Poteto.js file instead (obviously, keep the resize buttons in the HTML).  Note that this new Poteto.js file contains the new resize code, but not the timer.

I also saw a mailbox notice about you wanting to delete a lot of content on your board to clear out dead accounts and stuff.  If you like, I can write a simple script to clear out certain kinds of old content, on top of people who haven't logged in recently (as is what happens with the autokill feature).

#3 04-08-2008 08:23:44

~*Eevee1*~

The testart.php page worked perfectly, as did the Poteto.js file. =} Thank you so much!
And that script sounds amazing! I would love to pay you to write helpful things like this, I feel guilty always asking for help here.

Sutaro Sketcher
SR Oekaki
SRO is the merged form of SRON and SROA, with new templates and funnn contests <3

#4 04-09-2008 04:09:44

Waccoon
Administrator

Hmm... I'm surprised that worked.  Was this a fresh install or an update from a previous version of Wacintaki or Wax?

Anyway, how complicated it is to write a script depends on what kind of information you want to clear out.  Getting rid of old accounts and comments, resetting user flags, deleting pictures and animations that are too big, clearing pictures with too little "time spent", or resetting picture counts is very easy (as in, "a couple minutes" easy).  Doing some selective housekeeping, such as scanning for comments with specific phrases, or getting rid of spam takes more work.  Anything regarding thumbnails can be a pain.

Just ask, and I'll let you know what needs to be done.  Most things are really easy to hack together, especially if they are specific to one site.  Making them easy to use, secure, and failsafe for general use throughout the Internet on multiple server types... that's a bit trickier.  wink

#5 04-09-2008 15:00:58

~*Eevee1*~

It was an update from a previous version of Wax, which is probably the reason I had so many problems. I should've just started new. I had a few errors when trying to do the update and it wouldn't delete the install files when finished, but everything is working properly now. =}

Hmm...so how about deleting old inbox mail? Those tend to pile for, for me at least, so I can imagine how many other people are too lazy to delete them.

Some custom coding that I was looking for in my oekaki for the future was a Yes or No option in everyone's profile to turn on thumbnail transparency. I originally put low opacity thumbnails on my intermediate oekaki so the bright images wouldn't blind people from the background, but a few members would prefer if that were set as an option. I was talking with sfox previously about commissioning for this custom, but I'm never on msn to talk with anyone so there hasn't been much progress with that.

For years now I've also thought it was a good idea to have an [A] (or anything like that) next to an admin's username in any place that other members see them, such as the online list, index page, and chat room. This way the members know who to ask for an upload without having to look through the admin memberlist and memorizing the names, then checking to see which are online.
And one more thing that at caught my mind was when people add links to their posts they tend to be ridiculously long. I'd much rather links be auto formatted to turn into [link]. 
The last two can be used in any oekaki, I know they're things that I've though would really help out.

Sutaro Sketcher
SR Oekaki

#6 04-10-2008 03:29:37

Waccoon
Administrator

I might have to take a look at the updater again.  Wacintaki and Wax now use identical databases, but there might still be a quirk or two when trying to update from an old version of Wax.

Deleting old mailbox messages is easy.  You just pick how old a message has to be (in days), and anything older will be wiped out.  There can also be exceptions for messages, such as those that have been sent by you (as in, announcements).  I wouldn't worry too much about deleting mailbox messages for people who log in frequently.  They don't really take up much space.

My recommendations:
- Keep member accounts that have archived pictures.
- Delete member accounts that haven't been logged into for 4-6 months.
- Delete member accounts where someone registered, logged in, and never came back (1 month should cover it).
- Delete mailbox messages older than 6-12 months.

For years now I've also thought it was a good idea to have an [A] (or anything like that) next to an admin's username

Oh, duh... I should have thought of that.  Well, that would take some trickery.  The easy thing to do is make a cached list of admins and compare the poster's name to the array of admins.  This could be done with a custom clip of code in "boot.php" and a test function.  That's not too much work.  The trick is to make it obvious without being visually intrusive.

And one more thing that at caught my mind was when people add links to their posts they tend to be ridiculously long.

Yeah... I should do what Slashdot does, which is to truncate the link title to just the server.  So a link to "http://www.server.com/page/dir/more/other/file.jpg" turns into file.jpg [server.com] or if it is a path and not a file, then it would be [link: server.com]

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB