NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 02-02-2008 11:05:32

Dreams

I'm gonna cry

Hi there, Waccoon... I think you're the only one who can help me with this, as you've helped me in the past.

I switched web hosts in the past couple of days, and was fervently hoping that somehow my SQL databases would transfer over all right. But they won't.

I have both a Wacintaki and Wax Poteto, and backed up the files and .sql files for both. When I try to import the .sql files into new databases on the new account, it gives me errors about improper syntaxes.

I don't know what to do... I could really use some help, if you have the time. This happened when I switched accounts before, and I remember you looking at it and saying that it might have been my old web host messing things up? I just know that the scripting was really messy and took you a while to fix. (But I cried with joy when you did fix it.)

Please let me know if there's anything you can do.

[EDIT]

Okay, I messed around with it and made progress, but I'm still stuck.

In the .sql files, I deleted the lines "create database" and the head "charset" line, which stopped the importing errors from happening. I also made sure to edit the database information in dbconn.php, and then upload all the files. But now when I visit the URLs, it's still telling me "cannot connect to database". Is there some database info I missed somewhere? Because I'm not sure what to do now. neutral

Last edited by Dreams (02-02-2008 18:06:46)

#2 02-02-2008 21:23:41

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: I'm gonna cry

You're using phpMyAdmin, right?  That tool has a number of version compatibility problems, but they are easy to get around.

It's hard to tell at this point what the status is of the database, but I'll assume that it imported.  Most database tools will only export and import tables.  If there is a line to create the database itself, then you will usually have problems.  Deleting that line was probably the correct fix.  The charset line sometimes causes issues, and getting rid of that is fine, too.  Most databases on shared hosts don't appear to allow a change of default charset, anyway.

If you can't connect to the database, then either the host, username, or password is invalid.  The database name and the data itself is a non-issue at this point.

To easily test different database logins and rewrite the dbconn file as necessary, use the "fixdb.php" file in the Wacintaki distro documentation folder.  It's basically a mini installer that only changes the database config file, and won't break an existing installation.  This same file can be used for both Wacintaki and Wax Poteto, since both boards use the same database code.

Do keep in mind that to finish the transfer to the new server, you must CHMOD all the files properly.  The diagnostics page in the oekaki board will show you which core files need to be writable, but you must also CHMOD every file in both the pictures and avatars folders as well to 664, or whatever your server wants.  If you fail to do this, pictures cannot be retouched, and avatars cannot be replaced.

If you get stuck, please write down or screenshot any error messages you get.  We need to know that 100% of the data was moved before the old board is taken offline.

#3 02-03-2008 17:12:44

Dreams

Thanks for reminding me about the CHMODing, and for the other tips.

I think at this point there's something wrong with the databases themselves and/or connection to the databases; something that my host needs to take care of because I really don't know what else to do. My other databases are forums, and when I contacted the people who made the forums, they said MySQL probably needs to be restarted because there's something wrong with the service.

;_;

#4 02-06-2008 06:45:57

Waccoon
Administrator

Can you actually get a database connection (even if it won't let you select the correct database)?  You can tell because a successful connection will actually show the oekaki index page, but you won't see any pictures or comments.

We'll need to narrow down whether this is really an SQL problem or whether the oekaki transfer is not complete.  Whatever you do, don't dump your database backup, yet.  wink

#5 02-07-2008 19:35:41

Dreams

Well, the host I was with (GoDaddy) pretty much refused to help me; ignoring things I was saying (like, "the connection string IS correct, it matches exactly what's in your FAQ!"), and continuing to point the problem back to me. That, and some other problems, made me decide to leave their host ASAP and get a refund.

Luckily, I stumbled across this wonderful host called Arvixe. Hopefully I have no problems with them in the future, but as for now, everything is working beautifully. I imported both the Wacintaki and Oekaki Poteto onto their servers, and it was successful and pain-free! big_smile

So I have no idea what was going on with the other host, but thankfully everything is working just fine now. The way it should be, for once!

Thank you for responding and helping anyway, Wac. smile

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB