NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 10-31-2007 16:22:33

DC

new style selector / phpbb style

I have this idea which is something I'd like to set up myself using your code sometime... a phpbb type style selector so you could change both the css and the images and everything used via selecting a style folder with the style's stuff in it.  The only thing I could see you really needing to use that is some way to insert the path via php for the folder to use and get the style files from.

Hmm... actually... if just pointed to the right sheet, with path links in each sheet pointing to each style's folder, that should work pretty easy.  I think one could get right down to having the html code as php includes that are also in the style folder to completely rearrange the positions of stuff if someone wants.  The only thing about it is, we'd have to get some style creators that like doing that stuff to start making new styles, though you could start with using basic styles.

I also had one other idea to go with this: a selector for people to use the basic css style with color changes made, or a full blown style with everything changed.  It was mainly an idea I had though of that could activate a new page that would allow a user to modify the default plain style's colors to look how they'd like and save it as a custom style in a custom styles folder, or something.

A couple things that would take a lot of work, but I'd sure as hell be willing to try creating a starting point for full blown phpbb type styling.  It would be awesome, though, because with that ability, one could create their own style in the style of their site that could also load the images from the website's style so there's no reloading the same images.  It would be a customizable thing that is site specific, but a style like that could be modified slightly to work as a stand alone style, too.

Oh, and one thing really quick, Waccoon... do you happen to have a cheat sheet kinda thing that lists the code that is needed to run the oekakis and a description of what they do, without all the html added in?  I was wondering if I could take a look at it to help figure it all out instead of tearing apart your code.  If I start something like this, I'd like to set this up with you, since you ARE the one who's making the all new board and the one that created Wacintaki as well.

Last edited by DC (10-31-2007 16:25:09)

#2 11-01-2007 06:20:44

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: new style selector / phpbb style

The lack of a template engine is one of the biggest drawbacks of Wacintaki and Wax, and implementing one requires a complete recode.  That's why I haven't done so already.

I have designed the Wacintaki templates to favor background images rather than inline images for styling.  You'll notice that the Banana template has its own folder for images.  With only a small clip of code, it's feasible to have styled banner and notice images depending on the template selected.

#3 11-01-2007 17:14:53

DC

OK, though I was thinking about some kind of easy variable thing that would just change the file path in the places the variable is set.  Like this:

Style sheet: link="<? $template_folder ?>/stylesheet.css"

Background images would all be set by the stylesheet loaded.

For other images to change, they would need this same thing in the php pages:

img src="<? $template_folder ?>/images/logo.gif"

And even whole php includes could be made to rearrange the entire board however one wants by using that variable in the php include links.

I know it's complex, but would something like this be possible bu just using a variable that is set by a drop down menu?  The menu would get the varible from a style config file or something that lists the installed styles and what the variable is changed to depending on what the user selects.

What do you think?  Also, no sheet listing the must have code to make the oekaki board work with the oekaki applets?

#4 11-04-2007 22:40:02

Waccoon
Administrator

Style sheet: link="<? $template_folder ?>/stylesheet.css"

OK, so you're talking about an additional style sheet that will cascade the currently selected template, yes?

I know it's complex, but would something like this be possible bu just using a variable that is set by a drop down menu?

It would, provided that someone is willing to add all the required images to each template they have installed.  This sounds more like a custom job rather than something that could be added to the board.  It would take some extra logic to ignore images if they were missing, or use a default image.  Most people I've seen who customize the board make just one template and add all the required images manually.

Also, no sheet listing the must have code to make the oekaki board work with the oekaki applets?

A full explanation of the applets would be quite a lot of material to cover.  wink

Specifically, on what topic would you like the most help?

- How the applet parameters are initialized
- How the parameters are used by the applets, including header encoding
- Receiving and saving applet data

#5 11-05-2007 16:45:40

DC

Well, mainly, for now, I wasn't going to touch the values or anything, I just wanted to know the necesary code you must include into pages you make for the oekaki board that control and open/run the applets, and that you have to include into the html/php code on your page for you to make it run with the oekaki system and stuff.

I'd only like that code, and a bit of a description of what it's for so I can try to rearrange things on the pages in a different setup.  That is, rearrange the board into a new template design.  Not modify the applets or how the run.  Though there might be a few things I'll ask for later that I might try to make new options for.  I'll ask about that later on, though.

I'm looking into phpBB's new template system and how they get it to work as far as looking into this template system for an oekaki board.  In theirs, you can have not only background images that are called by included css files, but they also have a way that the template selects the foreground images that are suppossed to be used in whichever template you select, like the profile, IM, e-mail, and website image links under posts and stuff.

One thing I was also thinking about, though, is, since I like figuring this stuff out and trying it out, I might create an actual oekaki phpBB mod that would allow those who want to the ability to share the database for logins and allow an admin to control things all around.  I don't know, though.  It's a very complex project, I can tell.  It would be something I would look into only after I create my first custom template for phpBB and get more familiar with the code.

But yeah... for now, I'd only like to know what code I have to have in your pages with all unecessary stuff stripped out so I can try to create a brand new template for my own board that would match my website.

#6 11-07-2007 05:04:51

Waccoon
Administrator

For most of the board, if you know HTML and CSS, figuring out the code shouldn't be a problem.  As for the mix of HTML and PHP, as well as the applet initialization code, well, that's a bit too complicated for me to outline for you.  If you don't know PHP, you'll need to learn it.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB