NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 10-19-2007 01:40:40

BriteWingz

I give up (help!)

Something went wacky with my chat. I turned it off some time ago, but just updated and thought that might fix the problem. Now it brings up all kinds of warnings that the files can't be found, but they are there, where they always were. I copied the new chat files that were bundled with wax 5.6.2 to the server, both inside of the "new_chat" folder and just within tthe /oekaki folder, but still no dice. Any advice?

Thanks in advance:-) I know you'rre a busy guy!
Brite

Amazing Plushologist

#2 10-19-2007 02:46:01

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: I give up (help!)

The "new" chat was a bad idea to begin with, so if you can handle the bandwidth, I recommend using the old one.

Do you remember what files were missing, or if the chat said there were "missing rows" or something like that?  Problems with the chat room usually have more to do with the database, since chat data is stored in the database and not in files.  A screenshot would help, but I can also register to the board to check it out.

#3 10-19-2007 12:01:04

BriteWingz

I can handle the bandwidth, that's not a problem. It says the chat.php file is missing, and lists some long, convoluted directory where it should be. Really, it ought to be in oekaki/chat.php, which is where it is. If it is the database, can it be corrected? How do I do that?
Here is a screenshot: http://www.thechaogarden.com/chatscreenshot.png
and here is the link: http://www.thechaogarden.com/oekaki

Thanks again!

Amazing Plushologist

#4 10-19-2007 23:30:40

Waccoon
Administrator

Wow.  The chat room database is corrupt, if not totally missing.

Upload this to your oekaki and run it:  Fix Chat (5.6.2)

That file will attempt to rebuild the chat room database, though any messages that might be in the chat room will not be salvageable.

Did something recently happen to your board?  A lot of pictures seem to be missing, too.  I can't access the pictures folder directly, so I can't see whether the files are missing or if there's an incorrect security setting.

#5 10-20-2007 00:23:23

BriteWingz

I just updated to 5.6.2, that's all. I think I was running 5.5.1 before.

I downloaded the file, put in in my /oekaki folder, attempted to run it, and got this message:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: w_exit() in /home/content/b/r/i/britewingz/html/oekaki/fix_chat.php on line 31
What should I do now?

Amazing Plushologist

#6 10-20-2007 00:43:57

Waccoon
Administrator

Sorry the script didn't give a confirmation, but if it ended on line 31, then it succeeded in rebuilding the chat room database.

Does the chat room work now, or is it still returning an error?

Don't forget to remove that file from the server, too.

#7 10-20-2007 00:48:46

BriteWingz

*jumps up and down and squees about how wonderful you are* I didn't even think to check, I saw the error message and gave up hope. But it works!

Any idea why so many of the submitted pictures disappeared? I checked the server, and those image numbers are gone altogether. I don't understand why that would happen.

Amazing Plushologist

#8 10-21-2007 01:33:25

Waccoon
Administrator

It's possible the main database got corrupted at the same time as the chat room, and the board cleared out "invalid" images, as it does on a regular basis.  The updater also doesn't change anything about the chat room.

Be on the lookout for anything else that disappears.  Missing data can happen from time to time, but the chat room was actually corrupt so it couldn't count or insert rows, and that's a rather serious database issue.

#9 10-21-2007 15:21:13

BriteWingz

I did notice that when a recent pic was draw and "adulted" it simply disappeared altogether (after the chat fix.) Is there a way to fix my database? Is it a different database than the one used by the chat?

Amazing Plushologist

#10 10-21-2007 21:34:45

Waccoon
Administrator

There's one database, broken down into different compartments called "tables".  If one gets busted, they can all be damaged.

Most likely what happened is that one of the table fields disappeared, and now any attempts to change the information of a picture causes the database to complain.  The fix is to add the missing field.

If you're OK with the idea, you can give me your server login and I'll fix it.  Most of the time it's easy to do.  I just need to look at the database structure to see what's missing.  Otherwise, I can write up a script to verify that each field in the picture data table is there, but fixing it might require the use of your server's database tool (such as phpMyAdmin).

You can send me an e-mail about what you'd like to do.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB