NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 10-18-2007 19:27:17

DC

Difference between wax and wacintaki, amoung other things

Hey, I'm going to install both oekakis to try them out, though, I would like to ask you, Waccoon, what the difference is between them.

I can look at the changelogs, though they both seem to have the same changes being made, and aside from the way the look, I can't really see anything different between them other than Wax is a modified OP with fixes and new features, and Wacintaki is completely rebuilt.  You don't have a features List set up that really shows what each oekaki has as far as features go, or anything to show people what the difference is between them, and why they should get one over the other.  I was wondering if you could make a list and post it on the download page, if you could.

Also, I was wondering from anyone else that may read this who has experience in using both what you guys think of them, and why you would choose one over the other.

I'm building a website from scratch, and I'm ready to set up the oekaki I've wanted to for over a year now, so I was wondering if I could get some help in this, and also, this topic can be used by anyone else that comes along wondering the same thing.

---------------

ALSO, Waccoon, after seeing some posts and stuff that make it sound almost like you're just going through the code to find out how the applets send their data and retrieve it and stuff.  Not sure if that's so or not, but I was wondering if you'd ever used the original author's help file which describes each function the program uses.  It's at Shi-Chan's website in the JP shipainter download section, and also probably one in the paint bbs one too.

I'm sure you've probably known for a long time, but if you didn't, I was translating the page to English to use myself, and could post the link here for the English translated page.  Google doesn't finish translating the page... it seems to have a problem with translating only 2/3 of long JP pages, then stopping for no reason, so I'm taking the untranslated part, posting it, and using translator on that, then piecing it together again.

EDIT:  Oh, and this is the page I'm talking about:
http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA016309 … ichan.html

------------------

Last, but not least, I was wondering if you might be able to help me out.  I downloaded the Shi Painter program by itself to use on my computer at any time, and it's the full program, and does everything the online program does... but since it isn't stuck on a server running the stuff it uses to collect the post data, there is no way, the way it is, to use the post button from what I can tell...  It just has a basic page with the applet commands that you can add and modify to do what you want, including loading images and animations, and has the post button, but since nothing takes the post data and does anything with it, it just returns an error that it can't post.

If you have some free time to kill someday, I was wondering if you could take a crack at setting a page up using the applet, or looking at the applet itself or something, and seeing if you can set it up to post the animation and/or picture data into a folder right on your computer in the same folder the applet is running from.  I love shi-painter, and got this program to use when I'm not online, or when I don't want to go to an oekaki to draw something... and also use it to complete pics that I may have started on an oekaki, but something might have happened where I lost the connection, or it has an error, and I would have to get the picture uploaded at an oekaki site just to finish it.

Shi-painter is really quite a powerful little drawing program in itself, and has some hidden functions I and a friend have found while holding certain keys, or using the left click on certain things.  It would be great to make it a full stand alone program someone could draw with without having to be at an oekaki just to get their data from it.  I'd like the ability to use the animation post as the way to save a picture and then reload it again to work on it more, keeping all the layers intact and everything, and even being able to use the animation inside paintchat.

It'd be very handy, and I'm only asking you, Waccoon, because you're the one whose been messing with all that stuff and building you own version of the oekaki boards from scratch that can take the post data and do with it what it's supposed to, and the fact that I have not gotten into php yet doesn't help me figure anything out on it.  So, what do you think?

Oh, and one last thing.. thank you for these awesome oekakis!  I started drawing thanks to oekaki poteto.  Haven't used wacintaki yet (hence why I don't know which to get).

Last edited by DC (10-18-2007 19:35:00)

#2 10-18-2007 20:13:31

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Difference between wax and wacintaki, amoung other things

Hey, I'm going to install both oekakis to try them out, though, I would like to ask you, Waccoon, what the difference is between them.

These days the two boards are much more alike, because they share more code.  The differences are mostly covered on the products page and in the screenshots.  Wacintaki has more logically designed menus and admin features, and supports a rules page, password protection and sharing on pictures, and safety saves.  Due to constant interface tweaking, Wacintaki officially only supports English.  The language files are still largely untranslated.  New features are planned for this board.

Wax has the look-and-feel of OekakiPoteto.  It lacks the features above, but comes with a template editor and more languages.  New features will probably not make it into Wax.

The only real reason why you'd want Wax is if you like the look, you don't know how to use CSS to make new templates, and/or you're a previous OekakiPoteto user.  Otherwise, you should get Wacintaki.

I was wondering if you'd ever used the original author's help file which describes each function the program uses.

Yeah, I have.  The documentation is pretty poor for all the applets, and the vast majority of it covers things like colors and how the tools are laid out.  There's also a huge number of legacy controls to help compatibility with the older "picture.cgi" code used for OekakiBBS.  These legacy parameters are meaningless on my board.

Some of the parameters are quite buggy, too, such as when importing animation data.

if you can set it up to post the animation and/or picture data into a folder right on your computer in the same folder the applet is running from.

Can't be done without a web server and a scripting language, like Perl, Python, or PHP.  The applet sends HTTP data via a URI, and expects an HTTP response, so you need a web server for that.  The applet also sends one huge chunk of data that has to be split up into files.  You can install a web server on your own system, but it's easier to find a separate paint program.

Here are some good ones that are less like Photoshop and more like paint programs.  Some of these are older versions that are free, while the newer versions are commercial.  ArtRage 2 is a fully functional program, but you can buy the upgrade version which has more features.

Open Canvas 1.1 (older, freeware version)
ArtRage 2
Deep Paint v1 (older, freeware version)

#3 10-18-2007 21:01:20

DC

OK, I'll get Wacintaki then, since I thought those features were also added to Wax.  Thanks!  And I DO know CSS just fine.  I built a page with custom image borders using tables ... which can be entirely controlled through CSS.  Just replace the images with whatever you want, adjust the dimensions, load the new css file, and wala, you can easily change around to use anything you want... even plain old css without images if you so choose.  Seriously, tables shouldn't be condemned to being used just to make a table of data... which you see in about ... well, I've only seen that as the use in like 6 websites, not counting any forum.  Tables are too flexible and useful to be condemned to just that.

---------------

Have you ever tried contacting Shi-Chan?  I got ahold of her once and found out how you load animations into paintchat V2.  These programs are so old and have to be updated again with modern stuff. ^_^;  Wish I knew how to do that myself.  I'm surprised the source for this free program hasn't been released for others to use.  Open sourcing is great, and she can still be attributed to creating it, so... yeah.  The program's too popular and well known for anyone to be able to rip it off as their own without getting caught.

Anyway, just throwing out ideas. tongue

---------------

I know about OC and kinda hate that one because for me, the way it draws isn't smooth at all... it's like circles being pasted every few pixels to draw lines.  I even created an animation and sent to a friend and as far as I can tell, it doesn't do that to him, from what he says.  Also, it doesn't have anywhere near the stuff shi has.

Haven't looked at the other...

I KNOW there is a way to do it, because shi-paintchat (v3) and paintchat v2 BOTH save animation files just fine entirely through java.  I get them and reload, load in shipainter, other stuff all the time, or I used to when I had a big paintchat group.  So there Is a way without installing a server, I know...  Just some way to get the data from the java buffer, or whatever the place is the data is held at.  It also reloads the picture animation data from cache if you close the page and reopen it and reload shipainter.
------------

One last question...  Would it be possible for me to rearrange some things in wacintaki to modify the look a bit?  Not css, just where some things are placed and how.  I might look into it later sometime after I learn more php... all I can do anything with that for now is include and require.  I'm trying to design my site so each part looks like it really belongs to the site, looks, design, and all.  Of course your info would be left alone at the bottom, I wouldn't try to take credit for that.  I might add that the setup was modified by me, but that's all, and might post it here if it looks good.  Sound ok?

EDIT:  Oh yeah... I also wondered what kind of cpu load wacintaki has.  I'm setting up at a host that has quad zeon processors with a whole bunch of other accounts, though they allow galleries and forums and stuff.  But, they don't allow vBulletin because it uses too much cpu power.  I honestly can't imagine this would use that much.

And last, but not least, is CGI required to use this?  I saw it referenced in the help file, but it isn't listed in your requirements.  I have to purchase CGI seperate if it is... and that's grouped with Perl and Python support.

Last edited by DC (10-18-2007 21:10:16)

#4 10-19-2007 02:23:32

Waccoon
Administrator

Tables are too flexible and useful to be condemned to just that.

Indeed.  The W3C is hell-bent on banning tables, so most CSS will not work with them.  That drives me nuts.  Table-free layout only works well if you hard-code for a specific screen resolution, but... you know, I thought that violated the whole point!  Wacintaki could look so much better if I hard-coded for 1280x1024, but I don't want to do that, because it's just wrong.

Have you ever tried contacting Shi-Chan?

I did try, once, but got no reply.  Since I was e-mailing someone in Japan, I figured that he/she might not know English very well.  I actually requested that PaintBBS be released as open source since it is no longer being updated.

I should try again, if only to promise updates and fixes only, so it wouldn't really compete with ShiPainter.  I have no interest in maintaining a Java application, since my future job requires me to learn Flex and ActionScript, instead.

I KNOW there is a way to do it, because shi-paintchat (v3) and paintchat v2 BOTH save animation files just fine entirely through java.

Well, you can hook into a Java app without a web server, but you still have to parse the data.  I thought Java applets couldn't even save files at all, which is the whole point to keeping applets and applications in separate categories.

All I know about the applets is what I read in the documentation.  I really don't know beans about Java.  Ha ha.

Just some way to get the data from the java buffer, or whatever the place is the data is held at.

Yes, but Java caching works differently on each system.  Things changed a lot when Java hit SE5.  My system has SE6, and it refuses to even show me the temporary files.

One last question...  Would it be possible for me to rearrange some things in wacintaki to modify the look a bit?

So long as it doesn't require significant changes in the language files.  One of Wacintaki's biggest drawbacks is that it doesn't use a template engine, so redesigning things is a real pain and requires many files to be altered at once.  This is the main reason why I've been clobbering myself to start a new board from scratch, because templates, languages, and message passing is thoroughly broken.

Feel free to make suggestions, and I'll let you know how the code works and what needs to be changed.  I discourage people from making mods, but I am willing to modify the architecture.

I honestly can't imagine this would use that much [CPU power].

Despite the lack of a template engine with caching, Wacintaki is actually very fast.  I haven't bogged it down with 2MB+ abstraction layers like other boards do.  I would not, for example, use something like Smarty in a future oekaki board.  It may be sophisticated, but, man, who wants to upload 4MB+ of files to a server?  Minimalist software is still the best strategy, IMO.  Any abstraction layer larger than 100K is doing something wrong, and would be best reserved for properly compiled server run-times, like Java SE (but of course, those cost money).

Most PHP-based boards are too damn big, especially forums and CMSes.  That's why I like Drupal, and will probably base my new oekaki on that source.  Drupal is pure awesome.

I have to purchase CGI seperate if it is... and that's grouped with Perl and Python support.

CGI is a standard for passing information between scripts (example:  all the stuff that follows the "?" in a URL).  The ".cgi" file extension is only associated with Perl for traditional reasons.  PHP has full support for CGI.  The problem is that the scripts that come with ShiPainter are written in Perl, so it would have to be converted to PHP for it to work on your system without an oekaki attached.

Perl is sometimes not available on servers because it is a system-level scripting language, and that can be a security problem if badly written scripts are used.  People usually have to ask for Perl support on a server, and even then, all your Perl scripts might be quarantined to a "CGI bin".  Perl is powerful but dangerous in the hands of a novice, especially since the guy who wrote the Perl language was apparently from Jupiter.  The syntax is simultaneously awful and awesome, but perpetually difficult.

#5 10-19-2007 15:57:04

DC

Actually, the site I'm on has perl, python, cgi, etc all installed.  By buying seperate, I mean, they charge a $10 one time fee for life on the account you want it activated for in order for you to have access to use the scripts and stuff.

I guess the question of if it needs cgi activated to work is probably a no, because I got it installed last night, drew a test pic with animation and looked at the animation, and it posted and ran just fine.  Just that it took slightly longer than normal to load, but it seems that happens for any file on that server.  It just takes them longer than normal for the file to be fetched, but it sends over the net fast.  They are hosting tons of accounts, so, it makes sense if that's why it takes a bit.

I'm using my own bag of tricks to tone down file size without losing a thing in what I want to do on my site.  Even used css "spriting" to make my image borders.  I stuck all vertical images into a single file, all horizontal into a single file, all of outside corners into a single file, and all inside corners into a single file.  Then I used width and height css to dictate the widths and heights for the table cells used for the borders and corners, set the background images placing them where they need to be to loo right using background positioning, and walla, complete css controlled image borders that uses only 4 images to show 8 different corners, and 8 sets of borders.  Oh, and since it only loads 4 images to do the whole thing, it all loads hella fast.

Got the whole idea from a tutorial that showed how to use what they called css spriting to make the image rollovers on image links without having to load a new image to show the rollover image.  It works great, and cuts file sizes by using 1 color table for 4 images in 1 file.  It's all win-win.  And it's auto resizing ability makes it stretch to encompass whatever you stick in it by itself, and you can make it any width you want, too.  Here's a test preview of it in action, if you wanna check it out.  The borders themselves load fast once the server start getting those, but the rest of the page stuff has to load first.
http://dchronos.110mb.com/dchangout/index.html

Anyway, I kinda hoped shipainter was the one to get updated... and paintchat.  Really, there's some bugs still, and there's probably newer scripts to simplify some of the code in shi-painter.  A friend asked the same question I'd wondered, though I have no idea if this has been taken on yet or not, and that's how come noone else has tried yet to make a new one?  If she did those without a crack team of java experts, then anyone who can program it has to be able to as well.  Hmm...  Well, I wanted to learn java sometime after I learned php, mysql, and maybe delving a bit into perl to see how that works.  I'd love to have the ability to update the program.  It works on any OS, so that's what makes it such a good program.  And very small for what it does.  Paintchat, too.  A lot of my friends have a blast together in my pchat.

Also, Shi does have trouble with english, as you guessed.  If you wanna try, try to simplify what you ask so a translator can get it mostly right.  Could play around with google translator if you wanted, too.  I would like to ask, too, or get a group of people that would ask in a petition kind of thing to show how many people there are that would like to see this happen, and how many people actually love her program.

OK.  I had one more thing to ask...  I read in your wax poteto description that you gave shi painter a custom cursor... and I was wondering how the heck you did.  I would like to set a crosshair or outline only arrow you can see mostly through as the cursor for a looong time, since sometimes the cursor covers where you are drawing to and you can't see it until it gets out from under the cursor.  I tried using css to set a cursor on the applet and using a div around it with css, and only goit a cursor on everything that wasn't on the applet.  How'd you do that, or is it not what I'm thinking?  I did, however, find the java code to use to give a script a set cursor.  You'd have to correctly break the program apart and insert it, then recreate the executable jar file, or have the source and do the same, though.

#6 10-20-2007 00:33:21

Waccoon
Administrator

To import a custom cursor, use the "cursor1" parameter in the applet.  It's actually required, because in some cases the mouse pointer will completely disappear, so you'll basically have no cursor at all.  It's kinda weird.

Code:

<param name="cursor_1" value="mycursor.gif" />

The image must be a 32x32 transparent GIF, and may have any image or colors you like.

#7 10-20-2007 00:52:57

DC

Holy crap, no kidding?  That's it??  DAMN, where did you find that out at, anyway?  I never saw that info.

Also, I am loving wacintaki and some things I can already do, especially with using css right in the banner and announcement edit boxes. <^o^>

I have a few things, though... I'd like there to be an option to adjust the max file size allowed for avatars, and is there something that can adjust the max dimensions of an image before it is automatically made into a thumbnail, along with that max file size option?  Trying to cut images shown from 90Kb for something simple that should really save with a smaller file size even with excellent or no loss quality down to a thumb that's only 20kb, and if someone wishes to take a closer look, they can.

At least, I would like something for the max width and height allowed before it will make it a thumbnail.  I'd like to set it up so comments always wrap around the images without turning the area for the image into the full width of the screen with comment 1 under it, but still not squishing comments too much.

And one last thing, in something I remember seeing... I think I might try to make a template in some way that sets up the data so the images are on the right side with comments wrapping, so all the starting points of comments are aligned on the left side.  Easier reading, and it might look nicer in some formats.  It's gonna take some playing, though.  I need to find something that will let HomeSite parse certain visual php and show the page how it should be in php.  I've seen some info about that existing.

Thanks again for all your hard work on this!  Good luck with that new board from scratch!

EDIT:  Oh, yeah, there's 2 things about cursors... where is the center of the cursor aligned at... I mean, the tip of the pointer is the center, so where on the image (0px x 0px?) is the tip of the pointer/center of the crosshair supposed to be?  And second, do I just drop it into the same directory that shi-painter is in?

I'm gonna play around and might figure it out, but thanks for any help anyway!

Another edit:
Your cursor doesn't even attempt to show up as far as I'm seeing...  I start a new pic, and it just keeps the regular plain shadowed cursor from XP.  I don't even see the cursor image showing up under the regular cursor.  Any idea what's going on here?  I do have both Java 5 and 6 installed, if that's any help.  I installed 5 because paintchat v2 was not loading with java 6... though I still haven't tried it yet after reinstalling version 5 update 12 or whatever the latest was.

Last edited by DC (10-20-2007 01:24:42)

#8 10-21-2007 02:21:33

Waccoon
Administrator

DAMN, where did you find that out at, anyway?  I never saw that info.

From another ShiChan script.  Let's just say that the ShiPainter documentation is missing a few things, and isn't 100% accurate, either.

is there something that can adjust the max dimensions of an image before it is automatically made into a thumbnail, along with that max file size option?

Not directly, since there's already too many options squashed into the control panel.  You will have to edit "paintsave.php" to set new values for the maximum width.

Code:

if ($long_side > 740) {
    // No matter what, it's too big for 800x600 users
    $make_r = 1;
}

I'd like to set it up so comments always wrap around the images without turning the area for the image into the full width of the screen with comment 1 under it

Yeah, me too.  However, HTML doesn't allow that unless you hard-code specific widths into the document and float the picture.  With a thumbnail, the layout would work, but with a large picture, readability would be a huge issue.

where is the center of the cursor aligned at

It is the center of the image, favoring top left.  In other words, assuming 0x, 0y is the top left corner, the center is 15x, 15y.

Your cursor doesn't even attempt to show up as far as I'm seeing.

Make sure the cursor is in the correct directory which matches the "codebase" applet parameter.  The codebase is different in Wax Poteto than Wacintaki, so don't use Wax Poteto code with Wacintaki.  The cursor file is supposed to be in the "shipainter" folder.

It also must have a transparent color set, or else (if I remember correctly) it won't show at all.

#9 10-21-2007 14:52:48

DC

OK, if your code down there means if the long side is greater than (width), then make large thumbnail equals yes... then couldn't I just set that value, have an else thing thrown in under (if it needs to be), then take width and make it a variable that I can add into the control panel?  That way, I can just set 1 variable so that, if an image is larger than the variable I set on any side, it will make a thumbnail?

Also, I could swear I saw code somewhere in an oekaki board that used something like "if x side > width, then make thumb" and same for y.  It might have been right in the code for the shipainter help file, too.  I know I've seen it before, though.
--------------

As far as comments wrapping around the image, I was just referring to having it make thumbnails for larger images instead of letting wide images push the comments under the image instead of wrapping... which would be taken care of with a maximum width variable before making a thumbnail.
-------------

Thanks for the cursor info, though I see it's there (a circle of dots kinda like a gun sight in a game), and is in that folder, and I didn't change anything except what I was told to when I installed the latest Wacintaki.  It still shows as a mouse cursor for everyone on my board, too.
------------

Anyway, I have something I'd like to do with your control panel, as someone else had mentioned.  Use tabs for the options that show and hide things depending on which tab you click on.  It's a nice trick used at Newegg for it's extras panel, where everything is coded into the page, and clicking the tabs hides the other stuff and shows what value of the tab you clicked is.  If this works out, would you like the code I used to make it?

As far as changing things goes, for the moment, I don't plan much on editing the actual text used... I just might change the position of some things.  If someone selects a language, all the text should still change to what it is.  Though, I might edit the English text itself a bit, though when language is selected, it would look the same for whatever language is chosen, wouldn't it?

Anyway, I don't really plan on having anyone that doesn't understand English there, since everyone I know that's coming understands it fine.  If anything, I would have preferred a version of Wacintaki that had the alternate language options and files taken out with the English text in each php file where it shows up in the page.  I visit Japanese sites and boards and don't expect to understand the text, but will use Google translator if I have to, but I can tell what the functions do be seeing the link names.

Thanks very much for your help, Waccoon.  Oh, and one last thing I almost forgot, is there a file size limit placed on avatars, and if so, what would that be?  I'd like to set either 10 or 15 Kb, possibly 20 if I can, and state that somewhere.  A member said there was a limit, but there is nothing stating a limit in the avatar part in profiles.

Tanks again!

Last edited by DC (10-21-2007 14:54:09)

#10 10-21-2007 21:09:00

Waccoon
Administrator

That way, I can just set 1 variable so that, if an image is larger than the variable I set on any side, it will make a thumbnail?

Yes.  This is not something most people would need, so I just haven't added such a feature to the control panel.  The cpanel is crowded enough as it is.  wink

My plan is to revise the cpanel into sections, and put everything in the "hacks.php" file into the "advanced" section of the cpanel.  That hacks file was a compromise so I didn't have to make all new cpanel, installer, and updater code with each addition.

It still shows as a mouse cursor for everyone on my board, too.

That's probably a Java caching issue.  A quick fix is to rename the cursor to something else.

Use tabs for the options that show and hide things depending on which tab you click on.

Oh, so now you want to add JavaScript to the equation, right?  wink

I personally prefer a sidebar to tabs.

Though, I might edit the English text itself a bit, though when language is selected, it would look the same for whatever language is chosen, wouldn't it?

If you edit all the language files at the same time, yes.  There's a lot of English in the other language files.  I think you'll find that language support for my boards is also not very good, since each language item is its own variable, as opposed to being compiled into neat arrays.

If anything, I would have preferred a version of Wacintaki that had the alternate language options and files taken out with the English text in each php file where it shows up in the page.

This is the way Drupal works, and what I'd like to use for my next board.  Resource files are faster, but maintaining the code is a real pain, and it makes it more difficult for people to make their own translations.

Oh, and one last thing I almost forgot, is there a file size limit placed on avatars, and if so, what would that be?

I have a tendency to over-develop things.  My rational was to cap the filesize based on the image size.

edit_avatar.php, line 62:

Code:

$max_size = $cfg['avatar_x'] * $cfg['avatar_y'] * 3;

This is a good approximation for the largest size of a non-animated image, or a well-compressed animation with less than 10 frames.  Change the multiplier (3), or just replace that code with a max size in bytes (ex: $max_size = 20480;).

#11 10-21-2007 22:19:20

DC

"Oh, so now you want to add JavaScript to the equation, right?  wink

I personally prefer a sidebar to tabs."

Well, since I'm the only one using it and I use javascript, it would be fine.  But also, they could be made into php includes for each section.  How about that for an easy way to set it up?

And, I'm not entirely sure what you mean about the java caching thing... I haven't tried doing anything to the image that came with Wacintaki yet, and I wonder how it affects everyone using shipainter with the same thing: they just don't see the custom cursor, even the default one that I haven't touched.

Anyway, thanks!

#12 10-23-2007 04:58:14

Waccoon
Administrator

Oh, I thought you were adding the cursor manually to your own custom script.

The custom cursor only shows up for the "pro" version of the applet.  To change it so the cursor works with the regular applet permanently, open up "draw.php" and change the applet setup for 'shi', as follows:

Code:

case 'shi':
    $useapp = 'shiBBS.php';
    $datatype = 2;
    $app_params = 'cursor=cursor&';
    break;

I think there was a reason why I disabled it for the regular toolset, but I can't remember why.  There are a number of interface issues that prevent certain features from working with other features.  If you notice problems like buttons can't be clicked or text not stamping correctly, try taking the cursor back out.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB