NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 10-07-2007 17:08:34

Kia

error occured while uploading.

"error occured. please try again'

*hack*

Why me?

Help please?

Also, none of the folders are locked

Last edited by Kia (10-07-2007 17:08:57)

#2 10-08-2007 02:21:01

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: error occured while uploading.

Gah, I hate this one.  This is the error returned when the board has no idea what happened.

So, any information you can give me would help to narrow down the issue.  When did this happen, and what feature were you using?  Did this happen during installation, navigating, or posting a comment?  Were you commenting on your own picture, someone else's, or right after posting a picture?  Is this a new installation, or an upgrade from a previous version?

It can also happen when upgrading from an older version of the board, and you forget to update the language file.

#3 10-08-2007 07:22:42

Kia

I was just uploading. I was using 1.3.7 so I upgraded to 1.3.10... Still doesn't work. My host went under a security PHP modification.. So I requested a change to a more lenient version, and it still doesn't work.

#4 10-10-2007 06:50:06

Waccoon
Administrator

Diagnosing server configurations can be tricky, so I might need a link to the board (e-mail it to me if the board isn't meant to be public, yet).

By "upload", you mean an applet drawing, not a file upload, right?  The board uses entirely different methods for each type of data.  File uploads are done "properly", while the applets use an obsolete method of uploading that I can't fix.  If file uploads work but the applets cannot send pictures, that narrows things down a bit.

#5 10-19-2007 08:30:34

kitetsu

I've got a different error from uploading:

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/4930/oekakiyz1.jpg

This time i tried it using Java 6 while the PaintBBS is v2.22_8 or something.

#6 10-19-2007 23:57:27

Waccoon
Administrator

I'm not terribly knowledgeable about Java issues.  Do you know if the IP address in that error message is the IP for your computer, or the server?  Is this a free hosting site, or do you pay for hosting?

#7 10-20-2007 02:03:28

kitetsu

Waccoon wrote:

I'm not terribly knowledgeable about Java issues.  Do you know if the IP address in that error message is the IP for your computer, or the server?  Is this a free hosting site, or do you pay for hosting?

I'm not sure. It might be the server's, because i didn't go to ipcow.com to check my IP when i tried to upload the oekaki. I'm also a visitor in the oekakiBBS i was in, so i can't be sure what hosting it is.

#8 10-20-2007 14:20:06

DC

I have the same access denied error with PaintBBS.  It is the SERVER IP... almost.  Mine is listed with 83 as the last 2 digits, and the error says 87.  Oh, and this IP looks like this: xxx.xx.xx.87:80, and I know port 80 is internet.

What the heck is going on now?

Last edited by DC (10-20-2007 14:29:48)

#9 10-21-2007 02:28:40

Waccoon
Administrator

The applets send data directly to the server, rather than using the web browser or forms, so any number of things can go wrong and changes to the HTML probably won't affect anything.  Sorry, but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to Java.

The only thing I can think of is checking what kind of software you have on your computer that might interfere with the applets, such as an Internet security utility.

#10 10-21-2007 14:28:06

DC

Well, everyone except for me can send post data through paintbbs, and I can use shipainter perfectly fine, and load and run paintbbs just fine.  I can only not POST the finished image.

From all I'm reading about, it has something to do with a policy file in java, but it makes absolutely no sense at all why only I would not be able to send.  I have the same stuff my members have.  I'll keep looking later on and find the solution.

For now, all I can say is, if you get this error, it is a problem on your own machine having to do with java's security allowing data to be sent from your own pc, and has something to do with a policy file inside the java security folder.

#11 10-21-2007 20:36:08

Waccoon
Administrator

I've started hearing a bit about this issue from different people, and it always involves PaintBBS.  I have a hunch that the latest release of Java is the catalyst.  I'm going to update my Java and run a few tests.

OekakiBBS is already gone due to Java compatibility issues.  I'd really suck to lose PaintBBS, too.

#12 10-21-2007 22:26:18

DC

Well, there are fixes... it's something that has to do with java allowing java applets being able to send data from your comuter.  It blocks their access, and you somehow have to declare that it has access.  I also read something about signing the applet that lets it work fine.  It's just that, why would only I have this problem, so that's the only reason why I don't think it has to do with signing the applet.

Thing is, I have someone that only has Java 6, and he used it just fine, then I also know Java 5 works fine, becasue it used to before.

Good luck in your testing, Waccoon!  Hope you find out exactly what's causing that.

#13 10-23-2007 05:01:22

Waccoon
Administrator

Yeah, I see people putting things in their board notices about this issue, but I haven't heard any complaints from my board members, or run into the issue myself.  If it is an applet problem, and not how the applet is configured in my board, there's probably nothing that can be done.  PaintBBS hasn't seen a version update in years.

#14 10-23-2007 15:58:46

DC

Well, you have a problem coming...

One of my members had moved back into their dorm, which did work fine with Jtablet, but suddenly didn't.  He also found out that he couldn't post to paintbbs on that, and he had the newer Java.  He upgraded java to the very latest, and then he got the posting error on ShiPainter too!

I said to get rid of java 6 and install java 5, and posted a link, and saved both the java 5 JRE and JDK so I had them in case they weren't up for download anymore.

Now, shi has GOT to update the programs or release the source for someone else to, or people are going to stop being able to use them at all.  We somehow need to get a collective letter together stating that her programs are becoming incompatible with newer java and are not working right anymore, and that more and more people are unable to post or use the program right.

-----------------
EDIT:
This might be another problem having to do with Java 6, I don't know... but I just tested out Ahipainter Pro, and the cursor DOES show up in there... but after I open the JTablet panel, I suddenly can't open any menu items from the main menu.  It acts like it doesn't exist, except that I can still drag it around.  After closing the JTabelt panel, the main menu options work perfectly fine again... but of course, as always, after you close JTablet, you can't open it again unless you do a forced refresh of the page or start all over again, which is about the same thing in some cases.  Could you check this out on your, too?
------------------

Also, I had another issue that hasn't been answered yet here: http://www.ninechime.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=677

Could you take a look, please?  Has to do with Wacintaki this time.

Last edited by DC (10-23-2007 17:40:51)

#15 10-24-2007 06:29:26

Waccoon
Administrator

Dammit, you're probably right about this.

If so, I blame Java.  Sun has had extensive rewrites of their security policies which has caused endless pain for applet programmers.  At one point, around 2001 if I remember correctly, Sun even decided that audio playback should be considered a security violation, so applets wouldn't suffer the same hate as embedded MIDI filed did many years ago.  Great work, Sun, because any applet that uses audio no longer works!  Eventually, Sun changed it back, but still... Java is pretty problematic when it comes to security, but usually in the opposite direction.

#16 10-25-2007 04:11:34

Filb

I'm also getting the "access denied" error, but I'm still using a very old version of OekakiPoteto.
Since I got that error, I wanted to upgrade to Wacintaki Poteto now. But this doesn't fix the problem.

I tried drawing a picture on your board, and there was no error (except that your script couldn't find the OekakiBBS image I submitted).
But PaintBBS worked just fine on your board...

So, I guess it may be a server configuration issue. Is there anything we could test for you on our severs so you know what's going wrong?

Thanks.

Last edited by Filb (10-25-2007 13:47:06)

#17 10-25-2007 04:40:47

Waccoon
Administrator

I just updated to the latest build of Java (Rev 6_3), and now I'm getting the error, too.  I'm getting the error on a friend's board, but not my own, so apparently the server is involved somehow.  First, I'll try to configure my own server so that it causes this error, and that might give me some idea of how to get around it.

As for OekakiBBS, well, it was officially removed from Wacintaki and Wax Poteto for a reason.  It just doesn't work with Sun Java, and will not submit images.  It only works with the Microsoft Virtual Machine, which is discontinued and is no longer available in Windows XP.

There just aren't that many oekaki applets out there, and the ones that do exist are terribly neglected.

#18 10-25-2007 16:43:56

DC

If you can cause it to happen, if you know how the hell you're supposed to "sign" an applet (like certificates for web pages and stuff, you have a file that si associated with the applet(s) and somehow they refer to that to get security access to run or something like that, I don't really get how it works or how to do that even)... then try that and see if it makes them work again after signing them and giving them a file that goes with the signing stuff.

I read about that and it was what was suggested, but the way I read it had to do with multiple applets... which sorta doesn't make sense since signing them also seems to just allow them to run, let alone do other things.  And I don't see why one applet would work fine and the other wouldn't.

#19 10-28-2007 03:04:55

Waccoon
Administrator

Anyone here with Java experience?

From what I'm reading, "signing" an applet isn't as simple as setting a flag.  Both the applet and the server have to share trusted information for it to work.  If so, I don't think that's the source of the problem, because only the absolute latest release of Java is causing the issue.  The Java I was using before was only about 4 months old and was working fine.

Every forum I read, though, says that the applet has to be signed.  That doesn't make sense.  Signing an applet allows you to send information to a server other than from where the applet was downloaded.  An applet should always be able to send POST data to the server from where it was downloaded.

Also, why does ShiPainter work but PaintBBS doesn't?

I wish I could test this on my own machine.

#20 11-06-2007 02:20:33

Filb

Did you find out anything?

#21 11-07-2007 05:14:43

Waccoon
Administrator

I'm afraid not.  I can't reproduce the problem on my own computer or web server!  Without an error log or something else to go on, I'm just not getting any useful leads.  This is getting really annoying.

I have a feeling I'll have to contact Shi-Cyan about this, but because the author of PaintBBS doesn't speak much/any English, that's pretty troublesome.

#22 11-07-2007 20:59:53

DC

Maybe tomorrow, I will get the java console up and run it and post the error info to you.

For now, I'd like to make a long time, nearly forgotten about correction I just remembered is in all your wax poteto and wacintakis... it's not Shi-Cyan, you're typoing it one letter off (missed key), it's Shi-Chan.  Check her site... even says this in the copyright footer of her site:

Shi-dow ©2004しぃちゃん(Shi-chan)

Even her website is http://shichan.jp/  Should probably change that in your footers. tongue

Last edited by DC (11-07-2007 21:04:24)

#23 11-07-2007 21:16:16

Doom Fox

I get this error too. But also involves some FTP handling.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i77/doomfoxluis/prob.png

I'm drawing right at this moment on my Oekaki board, I used Paint BBS (With Palette) and when I try to submit my drawing (to save it) it tells me this message above, I thought it was a CHMOD problem (Pictures folder was set  755, I wanted to change it to 777 just in case), when I tried to change the CHMOD I got that error message on SmartFTP as well.

#24 11-11-2007 03:03:18

Waccoon
Administrator

The CHMOD issue is because your server is running FTP on a different security group than PHP, so when Wacintaki creates the pictures folder, you cannot change permissions via FTP.  This isn't a common problem, but it's nothing to worry about so long as the pictures folder isn't locked (the diagnostics page will tell you if it is locked or not).  You should still be able to delete the folder via FTP, though.

#25 12-15-2007 20:52:45

Doom Fox

Waccoon wrote:

The CHMOD issue is because your server is running FTP on a different security group than PHP, so when Wacintaki creates the pictures folder, you cannot change permissions via FTP.  This isn't a common problem, but it's nothing to worry about so long as the pictures folder isn't locked (the diagnostics page will tell you if it is locked or not).  You should still be able to delete the folder via FTP, though.

It worked out well after a while but all of sudden I get this message again, and also the pictures' folder is locked, what can I do? I've contacted the administrators of my hosting service to see what I can do but so far nothing.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB