NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 08-15-2007 16:12:44

acwitness

thumbnail not created

SORRY, one more glitchy thing happening here. Twice I've had instances where the thumbnail image was not created. So I manually created them, naming them with the t####.jpg format and they shows up fine. It just happened the second time, - there are no errors recorded in my log.  My server upgraded MySQL from 4.1 to 5 on Monday and are probably still working out kinks, although they have moved on and are upgrading the rest of their servers, a few at a time. Was wondering if you had any thoughts as to why this might happen. The second one was pic #2250.

#2 08-16-2007 04:07:12

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: thumbnail not created

Thumbnails are primarily used to reduce bandwidth.  If the image in question doesn't use a lot of bandwidth, a thumbnail won't be made.  Most of the time this is not a problem, but when using the uniformity thumbnail mode, some images will look a little crummy.  Web browsers still do a really crappy job of scaling images.

Until web browsers get their act together and use proper filtering, you can use this modified version of paintsave which will always make a thumbnail.  I suppose I should add a hack to fix this, or add a clause so uniformity mode will always make thumbnails.

#3 08-16-2007 07:04:52

acwitness

Sorry, I didn't explain that right.  I do understand that some images are scaled. What happened in this case was that no image was showing at all. Just a pic number in brackets [pic#2240]. One image was  10.2 kb (which I assume should have been scaled), and the other was 40.9 kb. Should I still use the modified version file to fix?

edit:
I went ahead and uploaded the fix as it happened again. Hopefully it will be ok now.

Last edited by acwitness (08-16-2007 16:19:34)

#4 08-17-2007 02:37:01

Waccoon
Administrator

Let me know if that doesn't fix the problem.  There's no reliable way to test if an image is broken or not before making the thumbnail, so some extra error correction might have to be added to the board.

#5 08-17-2007 10:26:48

acwitness

So far so good - will keep my eye on it. Thanks again for all you do. 5.6 is great!!

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB