NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 06-12-2007 19:01:54

Spyckie

oekaki on facebook?

I'm wondering if anyone has given this any thought. I would love to see an oekaki board on facebook, and I am pretty sure its possible with the facebook development api.

*EDIT* as proof of concept ->
http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/6760/facebookoekakigb7.jpg

Its doable... I want to ask the creators of wax for permission to start it, or help in understanding how to work with the applets ^^'.

thanks,

Last edited by Spyckie (06-12-2007 21:55:01)

#2 06-13-2007 03:21:42

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: oekaki on facebook?

Hmm... I'm not really sure what Facebook is.  Is it like a CMS (content management system) that you can install on your own server, or is it a centralized community?

It's questionable whether the framework will accept raw input streams.  Many servers with an application front-end will not -- they demand multi-part forms.  OekakiBBS also does not support authorization headers, which is a long-standing problem I've had with that applet, since processing cookies is difficult, and I don't know if sessions will work at all.

It would take quite a bit of research to see if any of the applets would work.

Also, would this function like a BBS/forum, a LiveJournal clone, or is this just a way of submitting art like a photo album?  I'm not sure people would be interested in oekaki if it didn't have a BBS or blog-like atmosphere.

#3 06-13-2007 12:51:45

Spyckie

Hey thanks for your reply,

Facebook is like myspace for college students. They have a development api where you can host your own server but use their login/website (through an iframe) to show your webpage and get access to their members. Its a very social community, and its not a question of whether it will be successful, but who puts it up.

There's an application on Facebook already called graffiti, which is just a one-brush, flash-built painter (which is worse than ms-paint), which is why I want to put an oekaki on there. Its a crutch to artists everywhere.

I wanted to thank you guys for all the effort you've done, and was wondering if (well, not if, what) I should put in as a tribute? I'm borrowing tons of your php code already.

Again, the oekaki itself is hosted on a private server but has access to facebook's large community through their login system/website.

Oekaki for life!

*Edit* oh, and I'm going to use it like an art sharing tool - you have a space where you can draw, or friends can draw things for you on your profile.

and I sound too business-like. Oekaki is just awesome, so I just want to make it available - that's all.

Last edited by Spyckie (06-13-2007 13:07:35)

#4 06-14-2007 03:04:28

Waccoon
Administrator

They have a development api where you can host your own server but use their login/website (through an iframe) to show your webpage and get access to their members.

Ahh... now I get it.  That's not at all what I was expecting.  I might have to look into that.

I wanted to thank you guys for all the effort you've done, and was wondering if (well, not if, what) I should put in as a tribute?

Hard to say, since I just made modifications to code belonging to other people.  Marcello Bastéa-Forte is largely responsible for the OekakiBBS parsing code, so he should get a mention.

If you need help with some of the difficult bits, you can say I helped out.  Bear in mind, though, I'm still not convinced that the applet is going to behave properly.

For one thing, OekakiBBS doesn't work correctly on newer versions of Java, so essentially, only users of Internet Explorer will be able to use the applet.  That won't be popular with the Firefox crowd.  I'd recommend using PaintBBS or ShiPainter, instead.

If you want to use OekakiBBS, heed the following:

The important thing is to make sure that cookies are transmit properly, and that the applet is given the correct server response.  Read the notice in "oekakibbs.php" carefully.  You MUST send all necessary cookies as the GET method in a link, as follows:

Code:

$cgi_value = 'parse_data.php?usr='.urlencode ($cookie1).'&vcode='.urlencode ($cookie2);

<param name="cgi" value="<?php echo $cgi_value; ?>" />

You can then read in the data as a $_REQUEST value.  The $_COOKIE array will not work.

As for the server response, you must send nothing to the applet to confirm that the picture was accepted, but if there's an error, you must set the HTTP header to "Content-type: text/plain", followed by the error.  If you fail to specify the "text/plain" MIME type, error reporting won't work, and in case of a transmission error, the picture could be lost.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB