NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 06-12-2007 16:35:26

Nullig

Moving the Board to a Subdirectory

I've been expanding my site to provide different boards for different levels of drawings. I created a couple of new boards in subdirs off the main site root, all using the same member database, avatars, etc., but different table prefixes.

Now I'd like to move the original board from the main site root to a subdir as well, but I'm concerned about breaking the links to the avatars dir. Should I move it, or leave it off the root?

Also, are there any changes that need to be done to the other boards after moving the original? Any dependencies I should know about?

Thanks,
Nullig

#2 06-13-2007 03:43:07

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Moving the Board to a Subdirectory

Obviously, it's best to make a backup of your board, first.

For the most part, the oekakis use relative paths, so moving them to subfolders is pretty easy, so long as all the CHMOD numbers are correct.  The resource folder and database connection will work with no problem.

The two things you have to watch are the avatars folder (if shared between multiple boards), and the "URL to OekakiPoteto", which is the real URL to the board.  The URL to the board is, of course, changed in the control panel.  It's mostly used when sending notification e-mails, so you can change it before or after you move the board.

The avatars folder can be tricky.  If you leave it in the root folder, only the original board must have the avatar path changed.  This is what I would recommend, just because it's easy.  If you would like to move the avatars folder to keep things cleaner on the server, each board would have to be changed so the proper relative path is used.

All you would have to do is use the proper number of backticks to reach the avatars folder.  For example, assuming your server structure looked like this, you would need these avatar folder paths:

Code:

./
boot.php, etc. - "/avatars"
     oekaki2/  - "../avatars"
     oekaki3/  - "../avatars"

Now, let's move the original board to a subfolder, and adjust the paths.

Code:

./
     oekaki/  - "/avatars"
     oekaki2/ - "../oekaki/avatars"
     oekaki3/ - "../oekaki/avatars"

The backtick tells the board to go up one directory level (to root), and then look in the "oekaki" folder, and then the "avatars" folder.

#3 06-13-2007 09:30:12

Nullig

I was hoping to leave the avatars folder where it is and make the path change to the original board. the other boards are already pointing to the avatars directory off the root.

Thanks,
Nullig

#4 06-14-2007 02:24:36

Waccoon
Administrator

That's the easiest thing to do.

Code:

./
     oekaki/  - "../avatars"
     oekaki2/ - "../avatars"
     oekaki3/ - "../avatars"