NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 05-06-2007 08:58:55

Albel

Filesize is too large. Max size is bytes.

^ I get that error when I try to upload a 30KB-ish 100x100 avatar. The filesize and width/height limits aren't causing this, since they are 100x100, and MUCH more than 30KB.

I'm thinking the script is acting up somehow, because I would think it should say the amount of bytes for the max size, instead of nothing.

#2 05-08-2007 04:18:21

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Avatar Uploading Error

Blah.  No number is being displayed due to a language file problem.

The board assumes X * Y * 3 as the filesize, which is generous for still images but not so for animated avatars.  For bandwidth reasons, I really wouldn't recommend anything larger than that.

If you do want something larger, I can send you the fixed avatar uploader (which shows the proper error message), but with a larger size limit.

#3 05-08-2007 11:12:08

Albel

The funny thing is, the avatar isn't animated (it had a lot of "effects" in it, via Photoshop, so that might be why the size is larger).

If you could send me the fix, that would be great. smile

#4 05-10-2007 02:01:00

Waccoon
Administrator

This will allow much larger avatar filesizes:  Large Avatar Support

My algorithm essentially disallows avatars that compress poorly or have too many frames of animation.  A 100*100 TrueColor bitmap has 10,000 pixels at 24 bits per pixel, so uncompressed, it should be 30K.  A 100*100 GIF should be 10K, plus the color lookup table.

30K is much too large for a non-animated avatar.  That's worse than a BMP or any other uncompressed format!  Chances are it is a JPEG with a color profile.  That's bad, because color profiles tend to be very large and many web browsers do not support them.  Try resaving the image with a low-end graphics program to strip the color profile, or convert it to a GIF (many graphics programs these days will preserve color profiles when saving PNG images).

You could also send it to me via e-mail, and I'll fix it.  wink

#5 05-10-2007 09:18:35

Albel

The weird thing is...it's a PNG.

http://tales.rpgplanet.gamespy.com/albel.png

That's the image. If you happen to know why it's a tiny bit over 30kb, I'd be glad to hear it.

(I'll try out that file this morning, and see if it works.)

EDIT: w00t, it worked perfectly. smile

Last edited by Albel (05-10-2007 10:02:14)

#6 05-12-2007 05:29:11

Waccoon
Administrator

The image has an alpha channel.  That affects the size.  I made a much smaller version for you:

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB