NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 10-05-2006 07:20:09

Dreams

PHP Upgrade, board stopped working :(

The server I host my oekaki on recently updated PHP from 4.4.3 to 5.1.6, and now the board gives me a 500 internal server error when I visit it. After the upgrade, all of my databases stopped working, actually - I run a forum, an oekaki, a chat, and a wacintaki. Upon contacting support, they said they could find no fault with the databases, but reinstalled PHP again, which only got the wacintaki and forum back online.

Can anyone help me recover the oekaki? It was upgraded to a wax poteto some time back (hence why I'm posting here), although I can't exactly check what version is what since the board is down and I have about 10 different versions of oekaki backed up on my hard drive.

Any help is appreciated!

#2 10-06-2006 03:40:21

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: PHP Upgrade, board stopped working :(

Any number of PHP config file changes could be causing this problem.

OK, so this is Wax Poteto, not OekakiPoteto, right?  You can get the installed version number by downloading "version.php" to your computer, and opening it in a text editor.

The first thing to try is look for an ".htaccess" file in the oekaki folder.  If one is present, make a backup and delete it from the server.  Some installations of Apache/PHP do not like htaccess files and will return 500 errors for security reasons.

If you're getting an error that the board cannot connect to the database, check your server's PHP error log for more information.  If you can't access the log (some servers won't), send me a copy of your dbconn.php file and I'll modify it to print mysql errors to the screen.  I admit that the current format for the dbconn file is pretty dumb, as it will not actually tell you why the database can't connect.

#3 10-06-2006 17:51:20

Dreams

Yeah, it's a Wax Poteto. Looks like it's version 5.5.9.

I backed up and deleted the .htaccess file, but it didn't change anything. I downloaded the error log and opened it in Notepad... I wasn't sure how else to read it. All the errors were old, from Feb of this year, which was probably when I reinstalled the board or added the Wax mod or something.

I guess I'll be sending you my dbconn.php file.

Thanks for helping me!

#4 10-07-2006 20:33:47

Waccoon
Administrator

Oh, duh... now I remember you.  smile

When I looked at your board, I didn't get a 500 server error, but it did tell me there was a syntax error with one of the templates:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ';' in /home/rosewhip/public_html/oekaki/templates/blue-ness.php on line 74

It's possible that you're getting the 500 server error because you're logged in, but guests are seeing the error message.  Recopy all the templates from the distribution to your templates folder on the server and see if you can view the board.  Then log out to be sure before attempting to fix the template.  The server might not be letting you in because you have a corrupt cookie (maybe left over from the previous server).

To clear cookies manually:

Internet Explorer
Tools -> Internet Options -> Delete Cookies

Firefox
Tools -> Clear Private Data

Opera
Tools -> Delete Private Data

Also, note that most servers actually have two log files for PHP scripts:  one for the server (the "error log"), and a seperate one for PHP.  The PHP error log might be in your server control panel, it might be a file called ("error_log") in the oekaki folder itself, or it may not be available at all.  So, don't be surprised if the server error log doesn't actually include any PHP errors.

#5 10-11-2006 10:52:23

Dreams

I would have to find something wrong with my board after you went through all that trouble of fixing it, right?

When I try to upload a new avatar, I get this error:

Warning: fopen(avatars/4bad6ef55d31ad90ef266ad6088e33fe.jpg) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/rosewhip/public_html/oekaki/edit_avatar.php on line 115
File did not upload properly. Try again.

It won't work no matter how many times I try...
The file is the proper size and everything...
;_;

Sorry to bother you again with a new problem...
Can you help plz?

#6 10-12-2006 05:09:02

Waccoon
Administrator

Ugh.  The avatars folder is set the the wrong permissions, not only so the folder is not writable, but so it can't be deleted, either.  OekakiPoteto used to have this problem a lot with the pictures folder.

Luckily, the folder can be renamed, so I gave it a dummy name and reconstructed the avatars folder.  If your FTP account allows you to do so, delete the "avatars2" folder from the server.  If you cannot, you don't really need to worry about it, but you can ask an admin to do that for you.  The folder should never have had its permissions reset in a way that PHP cannot write to it anymore, so chances are botched server maintenence is what locked the folder (and crippled your whole board) in the first place.

#7 10-12-2006 20:13:28

Dreams

Thank you, again and again!

All the servers that host my sites have been pretty retarded lately.
I couldn't delete the folder myself, so I'll ask them to do it (I'm freakish about having my directories cleaned up). I have to contact them anyway - I have another account with them on a different server, which my browser and FTP suddenly can't connect to. Maybe they're upgrading that one too. Argh.

Thanks for fixing my board! <3

#8 10-13-2006 05:09:16

Waccoon
Administrator

Make sure they delete the right one, or make a backup, first.  Heh.  smile

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB