NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 07-20-2006 06:07:56

Pinkie

connecting to remote db

I have a big problem. I cannot login to phpmyadmin nor my webspace via FTP, and hence, I cannot even create the smallest backup. I've tried contacting my host, but he doesn't seem to be here (I think he's on holiday). Oekaki can access the db withotu any problem, so is there any way that I can view the database remotely? Sorry that this isn't exactly an oekaki related problem.

I do have apache installed on my home computer along with php. Any ideas? Please help.

#2 07-20-2006 06:30:42

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: connecting to remote db

I'm afraid not.  Without FTP, shell, or control panel access to the server, you're out of luck.  I also wouldn't recommend trying anything through the banner or notice (which allow PHP), because if you break anything, you may not be able to fix it without FTP access.

What happens when you try to log in via FTP?  Is your password not accepted, or something else?

#3 07-20-2006 10:09:27

Pinkie

It works now. I forgot to type the capitalization in the mySQL password... silly me. The FTP also works now, I think the server was having a hard time with the FTP for some reason.

Oh, I have another problem.  I can't export (backup) the database via phpmyadmin. Firefox keeps on throwing connection reset and timeout error messages. Any idea how I can make a full backup? Like I said, FTP works fine now.

Last edited by Pinkie (07-20-2006 10:20:03)

#4 07-20-2006 10:23:00

xxxP.i.n.k.i.e.xxx

Just so you know, here's what is exactly shown in FF:

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading. 

*   The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
          moments.

*   If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
          connection.

*   If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
          that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Perhaps I'll wait a day or so and see what happens then.

#5 07-21-2006 04:50:21

Waccoon
Administrator

phpMyAdmin does allow saving the database to a file on the server, but I've never gotten it to work, as there's no way to specify a local path.  Where do the files get saved?  I have no clue.

I think you'll have to wait and see what happens to your host.  Try connecting at some oddball hours.  Servers gernerally perform routine maintenance at scheduled times when traffic is low, and that can choke downloads.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB