NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 07-16-2006 21:54:42

Lovestarr

Guests can't upload pictures.

When I draw on my oekaki, I'm able to upload pictures, edit them and everything without much problem...but when other registered users try to upload they get this error:

Image data transfer error. Please retry.

I'm not really sure whats wrong. They all have the upload feature enabled with their usernames.

Also I'd like to mention that I had some difficulty logging into my own account last night. It kept stating this:

Password entered is invalid or you are not yet approved.

When the account is the Admin account and the password had been working fine just a few moments before.

Help?

#2 07-17-2006 02:11:32

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Guests can't upload pictures.

The image data transfer error is due to a conflict between OekakiBBS and Java.  The only solution for this is to configure your web browser to use Microsoft VM instead of Java.  Also, this only works for IE, not Firefox or Opera.  This conflict resulted in OekakiBBS being removed from Wacintaki.  I haven't gotten rid of if from Wax because a lot of people have asked me not to (I don't know why -- I hate that app).

If you're having occasional trouble logging into your account, but you CAN log in eventually, chances are it's a cookie problem.  However, I've noticed that Firefox can occasionally screw up remembered passwords (especially v1.5, which seems to be particularly buggy).  Try deleting your saved passwords in the "Privacy" options tab in Firefox.  If you're not using Firefox, clear the web browser cookies.

#3 07-17-2006 02:57:26

Lovestarr

Basically people using FireFox can't post pictures? Because I use IE and it might be the reason I don't have trouble posting images.

#4 07-17-2006 19:00:25

Lovestarr

Okay, people still can't post images -- even people using IE. Is there any way to fix this? Currently I'm the only one able to draw at my oekaki and no one else can because they are all getting the same error. Does it have to do with the version of IE being used or anything like that?

This is really frustrating. sad

Last edited by Lovestarr (07-17-2006 19:01:38)

#5 07-18-2006 04:51:09

Waccoon
Administrator

Yes, this is a well-known problem on the OP dev forums.  The problem isn't with IE, it's with Java.

Years ago, Microsoft had their own version of Java called the Microsoft Virtual Machine.  OekakiBBS was written with this version of Java in mind.  After a lot of legal squabbling between Sun Microsystems and Microsoft (which I won't get into here), MS got rid of their custom version of Java, and people are now using the "official" version of Sun Java.  Sun Java is not compatible with OekakiBBS, and probably never will be, as that applet is not being updated by the authors.  I presume you're either using an older version of Windows, or you simply haven't installed Sun Java from www.Java.com.

Firefox and Opera do not use the Microsoft Virtual Machine, so those browsers will never work properly with OekakiBBS.

This can sometimes be fixed.  In Internet Explorer, go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced and scroll down to where it says Microsoft VM.  Make sure it is selected instead of Sun Java.  Note:  the "JIT compiler" is required, logging and the console are not.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB