NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 07-06-2006 16:48:43

ponyhome

Subscription Message

Something that would be helpful is if someone subscribing to the board could write a brief note of explanation to the admin.  I'm a mean bastard, and I make people actually talk to me before I give them something.  Such an ogre!

Right now, the only note they can write is pretty much permanently attached to them, so it doesn't make sense to use that for a subscription request (it seems more like it's intended to describe them after they join).  After all, the admin gets to write a note TO them explaining why they were accepted or denied.  Isn't it fair that the person subscribing should have the same ability?  I don't see any security risk to this, and it should be practically a cut'n'paste coding job, since the code is already there for the admin to send a throwaway message. (Okay, then there's the code that lets the admin SEE the throwaway message, but you get my drift).

#2 07-07-2006 15:07:56

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Subscription Message

I could reconfigure the board so people who have pending memberships can send mailbox messages.  This can be tricky since spam may be a problem if anyone can send mailbox messages.

Any other opinions on this?

#3 07-07-2006 15:20:18

Saturnine13

I've considered allowing this on my oekaki board, but I really didn't want to deal with spamming (briefly considering restricting pending members to pming admins only, but that seemed like a hoop I didn't want to jump through). Providing an admin e-mail address for the pending members to contact if they have questions or comments seems reasonable enough to me.

#4 07-08-2006 10:56:17

ponyhome

Hmm, it's true, it could be used to send spam to one person -- the admin, but then again, the admin's address is not that hard to get from the board anyway, even for non-members.

For spammers, it's all about getting the maximum "eyeballs" with the least effort.  To have to fit their message into (e.g.) 128 characters, and know that it's only going to go to one person isn't going to appeal to them much.  I have a contact form on my personal web page, and though I've gotten a FEW advertising solicitations, they've all been correctly targetted (in other words, they came from art magazines and galleries, not v!@gra peddlers)  Automatic registrations are a MUCH bigger concern for spam, which is why I don't allow them.

Of course, all that's moot since, as I mentioned in another message, nothing Email related is working for me from WP anyway.

Then again, I wasn't even talking about emails or PMs -- Just one more field for entering a bit of "why I want to join" text that would show up on the registration request page that is THROWN AWAY after registration, rather than being attached to somebody for the duration.  That's all.  It doesn't have to be mailed, sent, stamped, or transferred in any way.  It just needs to show up once.  Like a Yahoo group, where, when joining is moderated, a text box shows up that asks for "why you want to join this group."  That does a lot to weed out the spammers and slackers, too.  Anybody for whom it's too much effort to give me even three words about why they want to join (e.g. "I like this."), it's too much effort for me to click "accept."

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB