NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 03-31-2006 19:08:13

Zeik

Doubt of Hosting and Wax

Hello

I am thinking about changing of hosting to one ke to me have recommended me i puts: "Mod_Rewrite" that is necessary to use Wax?

thanks

#2 04-01-2006 07:45:46

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Doubt of Hosting and Wax

No.  The oekaki boards do not benefit from mod_rewrite, and will work just fine with or without it.

mod_rewrite is a way to improve security, to make web addresses look better, and make permanent links easier to access.  It's popular with administrators for its power, but not required, and you really have to know what you are doing to use it.

It's best not to think about using it.  It's a real hacker's tool.  wink

Example:

www.host.com/forum/artwork/145672/

...with a proper (complex?) rewrite rule might be interpreted by the server as:

www.host.com/forum/viewindex.php?forum=artwork&mid=145672

It can also be used for stuff that has been moved, so going to www.host.com/MyBoardWithTeribleName may redirect to www.host.com/nice/

#3 04-01-2006 13:25:32

Zeik

hosting that will have an option of Mod_ReWrite that would not have to activate?

thanks for the nonwise explanation that that was:)

there would be some option to know if my servant allows the shipment of E-mails (New Registered) without creating another account to me? (Wax 5.5.7)

#4 04-01-2006 21:58:00

Waccoon
Administrator

mod_rewirite is activated by uploading a special file to your server.  If required, this file usually comes with forum or BBS software, so you don't have to worry about it.  Nobody really needs mod_rewrite to run a website.  It's just another tool.

As for e-mails, Wax 5.5.7 now allows people to register if the server doesn't support e-mail.  The three options are:

1) You approve each member manually, and they receive an e-mail notifying them that they have been approved.

2) They activate their own account via a link they get in their e-mail

3) If server e-mailing doesn't work, they are approved right away.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB