NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 03-28-2006 18:56:42

kidavi

upload errors

Running 5.5.7--

I cannot upload images.

They're in the proper format (.png~ they're just images from an old installation of oekaki-pet), and permissions are all correct, but I keep getting the following nondescript error:

"An error occured while uploading. Try again.

Use your browser button to go back."

...The applets and everything work and save just fine.

#2 03-29-2006 05:47:06

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: upload errors

This error is returned by the server itself.  Wax tests if something has uploaded properly (on the server side), and checks to see if no data was recieved.  If not, it returns this generic error.

This sounds like the server is not accepting uploads, or the maximum size allowed by the server is too small.  Can you upload avatars?  Do you have other software on your server where uploads work, such as a forum?

There are ways to tell specificly what kind of problem is occuring.  Could I have a link to your board?

#3 03-29-2006 06:26:46

kidavi

Of course~ the board is located here: http://www.kidavi.net/bbs

I'm not quite familiar with the new features of waxpoteto yet... so I'm not seeing _where_ to upload avatars via the board...? (Sorry...)

I have a forum but I've never allowed uploads to it, so no, I'm afraid not...

#4 03-30-2006 04:35:58

Waccoon
Administrator

I think your custom 404 page is messed up.  Clicking on that link gives me a barage of "page moved" errors that makes my browser go batty.  I got to the other oekaki in "/danube...", but it's Wax version 5.5.3, which doesn't support avatars.

According to PHP, though, upload support is configured correctly on your server.  I'll give you a custom upload tester, so I can get the exact error for the problem.

#5 03-30-2006 05:32:23

kidavi

Yes, I did move it, I'm sorry, I forgot to update the link in this forum.

I wasn't aware it was an earlier version, I may have uploaded an older set of files from my harddrive by accident, in that case. I do intend to update it.

#6 03-31-2006 05:47:32

Waccoon
Administrator

Ah, that might do it.  smile

I was able to upload an avatar just fine.  Have you tried a picture upload?

BTW, there was a problem with 5.5.6 where the upload flag wasn't assigned properly with manual registration approval, among other small issues.  Getting the 5.5.7 patch for 5.5.6 is recommended.

#7 03-31-2006 06:56:05

kidavi

I had already installed the patch. big_smile It just doesn't update the version information, I noticed.

And uploads work now~ thank you for your help! ^^

#8 04-01-2006 07:52:47

Waccoon
Administrator

D'OH!

I have to update my release checklist.  roll

#9 04-02-2006 09:55:18

kidavi

-___- I'm afraid I'm having another problem now.

I've been notified by a couple of my users that they cannot save their images.

This seems to occur with all the applets. One of them uses Firefox, the other uses IE, and their Java is completely up to date.

Sometimes the images will save into the pictures folder and just not appear on the page, and sometimes the images don't save at all.

I'm afraid that's all I really know about the problem, any inkling of what might be the issue...? o_o

#10 04-02-2006 14:47:11

Waccoon
Administrator

In the admin menu, there is an option to recover lost pictures.  For administrators, it will show all the lost images for the board.  Do any of the pictures there match up with the members that mentioned lost pictures?  If so, they may recover the images via the same recovery menu, or you may post the image for them and they can edit their comment later.  This happens because OekakiPoteto posts pictures, and then redirects to another screen, asking for a comment.  If no comment is entered for some reason, the picture will not show up on the board.  Picture recovery allows someone to update the comment.

As for pictures not sending at all, that may be caused by pretty much anything, but usually a bad upload request.  Most of the time, a bad upload is caught by the board and the applet returns an error.  Has anyone mentioned what kind of error messages they are getting?  Errors with OekakiBBS don't surprise me, because that applet is a real problem.  PaintBBS and ShiPainter should work well, though.

#11 04-09-2006 16:29:44

kidavi

Once in a while they do, but most of the time the images haven't been saving at all.

I haven't heard mention of what types of errors are being returned~ I will ask next time it occurs.

Also, some other things that I've noticed...

Even though I have it set to default upload-access OFF for new users, they are showing up with upload permissions anyway.

And I also would like the default template to override user templates because I've put some corresponding colors into the notice and plan on building a whole new template.

This appears to work by resetting it every time I activate this option in the CP? Which means that after I reset it, users can go back in and change it back to whatever they want, it seems...?

Last edited by kidavi (04-09-2006 16:32:49)

#12 04-09-2006 20:33:24

Waccoon
Administrator

I haven't heard mention of what types of errors are being returned~ I will ask next time it occurs.

Messages would be most helpful.  I have noticed that every time a server error occurs (file not found, etc.), the server doesn't actually return an error message, it simply redirects in an infinite loop.  Make sure your custom 404 error pages are working, as these kinds of redirection problems may also affect the applets if something goes wrong, preventing anyone from getting error messages that could be helpful for figuring out what's wrong.

Also, do you happen to have an "error_log" somewhere on your server?  A file with this name is the PHP error log, and if pictures aren't saving, there should be more information in that file.  Unfortunately, PHP errors do not show up in the server error log.  PHP has its own error logs, and many servers have them disabled, which makes debugging PHP a real pain.

...they are showing up with upload permissions anyway.

Augh.  Fix:  Functions.

And I also would like the default template to override user templates because I've put some corresponding colors into the notice and plan on building a whole new template.

You'll have to delete all templates other than the one you want to support from the templates folder, then reset all templates.

Alternatively, you can put template variables in your notice, so the colors will change automatically.  For example, in the notice:

Code:

<table border="0" style="border: <?=$hCellPadding?>px <?=$hBorderStyle?> <?=$hBorderColor?>" bgcolor="<?=$hStripColor?>" cellpadding="2" width="300">

It's kinda sloppy to read, but the colors and borders will change properly when templates are swapped.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB