NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 03-04-2006 06:25:16

Waccoon
Administrator

NEW STUFF!

I'm dedicating this thread as a feature dumping ground.  Wacintaki 1.3 is done, and will be released once I've tested it for a couple weeks on my own site.  Wax Poteto 5.6 will follow with a few new features, too.  Development of my new board will begin shortly.

As such, I'd like to hear what people would like to see in the new board.  Unlike Wacintaki, which has always seen hacks left and right, my new board will be completely designed ahead of time before any coding begins.  The more features I plan ahead, the better.

Here's a few examples to get things rolling.  Some may be built-in featurs, others as modules:

* Non-member drawing (if set in control panel).  Gets back to the roots of oekaki!
* Stand-alone upload of animations/sounds/ZIP files/etc.
* Plug-in system for adding applets, so oekaki programs don't have to be built-in.
* Coloring-book style group projects.
* Statistics page.
* Birthday announcements.
* Oh yeah, and a new name for the board!  This will not be Wacintaki 2.0.

Also, if there's a forum or other website that has a particular layout you like, post a link here (if the site owner wouldn't mind).  Some people prefer the compact rollovers in Wax over the larger menus in Wacintaki.  I'd like to keep my options open.

#2 03-04-2006 10:16:17

sfox8

Re: NEW STUFF!

=DDDD YES FINALLY =3 *cant wait till you release it*

I have no ideas for the new name (I'm horrible at choosing names) but I do have some ideas for a layout.

Personally I like the hidden menus:

http://www.traintochina.net/~tesuto/index.php that site does a nice drop down menu with javascript (i think).

I'm not good with javascript but a long time back I tried modifying wacintaki's layout to fit what I liked.
http://oevista.org/woekaki/

That one is more along the lines of what I want because the menu disappears when you take your mouse off.

http://oekaki.rthr-x.com/ they also have something like that which is more similar to my hacked wacintaki.

The one thing I don't like about my hacked wacintaki and aowyn oekaki is that the drop down menu's only work with one template. BDOekaki's drop down menu changes with each template you use.

As for new stuff, on top of those things which are really good ideas, avatars of course, and maybe collaboration (multi-user?).
Maybe a module could be a little log of the recent administrative functions performed on the board.

The non-member drawing sounds wonderful =3

I was also wondering about flash uploading? I don't know if that's really possible but it would be great. If you're going to have gif animations then flash would be cool big_smile

#3 03-04-2006 21:09:45

siliconsara

Waccoon wrote:

* Non-member drawing (if set in control panel).  Gets back to the roots of oekaki!

Sexellent.

Although I do hope that the future layout doesn't look too "community-like".  I just want a nice php oekaki board with English help files where guests can leave their artistic mark and members can get small extra benefits such as the coloring book/collab.

I had been using Japanese php oekaki scripts because they still have that non-member guest mentality.  Having people sign up to draw something once was a bit annoying, especially since about 90% of all English speaking oekakis are either Wacintaki or Oekaki Poteto.  Bugmenot.com comes to mind...

But I do understand those who want a community, and it seems the creators of all English oekaki boards have been centered on community for the sake of security.  Once oekaki went to php, and the code matured, the need for guests to register became a bit unneeded, IMHO.

As for the layout thing, why not use a html template system?  I don't want to sound rude, but being limited to those rollover menus and such is quite annoying, especially for those people (like me) who just want to dig in and create our own layout from scratch without mucking with the core functions.  WordPress is a prime example of this.  I can edit the interface to my heart's content, but the functions and core files (examples: database connection snipptes) are left intact so I do not screw anything up.  I am talking drag-and-drop templates that people can download.

Last edited by siliconsara (03-04-2006 21:19:38)

#4 03-04-2006 21:24:48

sfox8

Oh yes, siliconsara has an interesting idea too. I totally forgot about that.

Dormando's Oekaki system has a nice feature which allows you create your own layout using html. That would be a very nice idea. That would probably need to be a module though. A lot of people don't know html so yeah =O or maybe not xD;

#5 03-04-2006 21:30:48

siliconsara

sfox8 wrote:

Oh yes, siliconsara has an interesting idea too. I totally forgot about that.

Dormando's Oekaki system has a nice feature which allows you create your own layout using html. That would be a very nice idea. That would probably need to be a module though. A lot of people don't know html so yeah =O or maybe not xD;

I think that if a person can set up an oekaki, they should at least learn the basics of html, but that's just me.

If a drop-in template system was used/created, then I know that there will be people who will offer free base templates for people to download and use if they are not familiar with html.

#6 03-05-2006 02:11:16

Waccoon
Administrator

Wow.  Good start.  Don't get your hopes up, though.  This thing is at least a year away, given how I code.  roll

siliconsara:  Although I do hope that the future layout doesn't look too "community-like".

My new board is absolutetly not going to be a full-blown CMS.  I prefer minimalistic tools that cover the basics.  If people want something complex, they can get OCELOT.  Besides, there's no way I can go head-on with the likes of 2draw.  I want something more like the original OekakiBBS that lets guests have fun.  Even artist searches and archiving don't really require membership if they're done properly.

As for the layout thing, why not use a html template system?

My #1 priority asside from a good database layer.  I've checked out a number of engines, like Smarty, and they are way too heavyweight for me.  I'll probably be borrowing a lot of code (or at least ideas) from Drupal.  The code quality in that board is absolutely amazing, and it's only a half-meg!  Truly a work of art.  I just wish installation was much easier.  wink

One danger with a template engine is that people have to learn a new language to make templates.  If people don't know HTML, it's likely a high-end, API-driven template engine won't be any help.  I intend to keep it pretty simple.  Working with UNIX has taught me a lot about proper text editing and search-replacement.

#7 03-18-2006 12:55:23

Pinkie

Advanced IP control would be nice. For example, the ability to look up memebers with a list of IPs that they've used to login to. A nice serach thing, where you can search comment / pictures / members via IP.

#8 03-21-2006 21:47:08

gd

I sent you an e-mail a while back about two feature suggestions, but figured it might be more appropriate to post 'em here. Thus...

One thing that would be incredibly handy is the ability to turn captchas on and off for guest posting. I have no idea how easy this is to implement, but spam spiders seem to have decided that oekaki boards are fertile grounds for advertising pills and poker lately.

Another thing that would be useful is a more robust mass deletion interface for mods. The current setup for deleting comments doesn't really accommodate mass deletions, since the mod is redirected to the main index after every single comment deletion, which makes cleaning up entries without axing the picture (especially posts attacked by spiders) a pretty long and involved process. Any possibility that this could be changed to use checkboxes (or something similar) in the future?

#9 03-23-2006 05:59:50

Waccoon
Administrator

Sorry, I'm really, really bad at answering e-mail.  I just read it.  smile

Things like captchas requires extra software on the server.  I'm not sure if my host would allow that, and for the typical oekaki homepage, that would be difficult to get working.  As a module, it would work.  As a substitute, an encrypted form field would probably be OK.

As for deletion, yes, that's been something that I've been thinking about, because that's how the original OekakiBBS worked, and I liked that method.  Adding that to OP wouldn't be too hard, if there weren't so many different ways to do things.

#10 03-23-2006 12:04:57

Saturnine13

I'm excited to hear about this! I've always liked OekakiPoteto (and Wacintaki, naturally), but I really want to see some fresh alternatives with different features.

I don't think I have a lot of input to offer on this project, though, because the things I want to see are largely community-orientated, since that's what my own oekaki board was. But I will suggest contests with guest/member voting, because my board had a lot of fun with that.

As a side note, I've got my own PHP oekaki project going on. It won't ever be released publicly; it's supposed to be a learning experience, but mostly I'm just mucking around and having fun. big_smile Hope that once you do get started, you have as much fun as I am (because then maybe it'd get done sooner ^_~ ).

#11 04-07-2006 22:03:03

Kanako

Hi Waccoon

it is possible to be known, as the project of new mod goes? ^^

that is interesting ^^

Some Date Next or something is known?

thanks smile

#12 04-08-2006 05:11:34

Waccoon
Administrator

These days I know better than to make big announcements.  The new oekaki will be ready when its ready.  Probably a year, though.  Major priorities of the project are to make it very small and easy to use.  There's not many oekaki systems out there, but the ones that do exist seem to be leaning towards communities, rather than home pages.  I think that's the wrong direction for oekaki.  I think they should be simple and spontaneous, more like guestbooks.

Wacintaki 1.3 has been delayed since my full-time job has not been going well, and I've run into a few admin issues, namely, some admins won't like the group project support without the ability to turn it off.  It'll be released when I've tested it properly, which means, at least two weeks after uploading new code to my own oekaki.  If I don't waste too much time this weekend fixing a computer (for $$$), I should be testing the final code by Monday.

Wax 5.5.8 will be the last version.  I'm no longer planning to make Wax 5.6.

#13 04-20-2006 23:24:22

PokéJungle

Can't wait for it to come out big_smile

I really like the idea of the "coloring book".  Very nice idea~  Hope things go well with your job =/

++ Visit my Pokémon Oekaki ++

#14 04-22-2006 22:50:33

mp3sattack

Hi, i wanted to make a couple suggestions for wacintaki, but if you wanna take them for the new board wink

One is to be able to have categories, like "beginners/masters" or "chibi/realistic/other", "watercolors/pencil/etc" well i mean, as any webmaster wants and be able to move the drawings from one category to other (there are always users that don't follow the guidelines) smile

the second suggestion is to have the option of sending the drawings as ecards and be able to pick them up in the site, that would also bring new traffic/users to the board.

my two cents

#15 04-23-2006 02:27:52

Waccoon
Administrator

The ability to use multiple boards will only work with the new oekaki.  It's much too difficult to add that to OP, which is why I haven't bothered.

The greeting card things sounds cool.  That could be added as a module.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB