NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 05-03-2013 17:17:00

Matt

Wacintaki, as a "One-Click" Install? -Matt

Hello all,

First off, I would like to sincerely commend Waccoon on his continued support of Wacintaki. 
It is simply amazing to see one person provide continuous support for their opensource software.
(And your code is awesome to learn from!)

Secondly, I would like Waccoon and the ninechime community to "chime" in on the following question:
Would it be beneficial for Waccoon's Wacitaki to be delivered as a "one-click" install?

I have been dabbling in PHP/MySQL and web hosting for 2+ years now and started a PHP project that would let anyone start their own oekaki (Waccoon's Wacintaki 1.5.13) in late October 2012.  Since then, I have been working on the project intermediately.  It's still rough around the edges, but, in it's simplicity, allows for one-click installs of Wacintaki 1.5.13.  I would only proceed if it is allowed by Waccoon, and if it would be beneficial to the community.

Looking forward to the community's input.

Sincerely,

Matt

#2 05-04-2013 05:10:21

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Wacintaki, as a "One-Click" Install? -Matt

It's absolutely fine by me to work on such a project.

I'm not too familiar with one-click installs.  Does this mean it just copies the oekaki into place and requires the owner to run the normal installer, or is it more like a full replacement of the installer?  I presume it's the former case, because keeping a 3rd-party installer up to date would be a lot of work.

Are there any changes you would find helpful?  For the most part, Wacintaki installs easily as long as the resource folders are CHMOD correctly.

I would also like to point out that 1.5.14 will be released soon.  The only major changes are how the board handles e-mail notifications, but this requires the installer to be updated.  I'm slowly stripping some of the legacy options out of the installer, so it will be a bit simpler.

I have to say though, despite your kind works, Wacintaki is a really bad example of acceptable coding practice.  It's more or less a major refactor of a 10-year-old project originally written by a 14-year-old.  The code is not pretty and error handling is horrible.  But, the board works, and I just keep it limping along on new versions of PHP/MySQL.  It deserves a complete rewrite, but I won't do that unless someone makes a good, FOSS paint program to replace the ancient Java applets.  There are many paint programs available, but they are almost all proprietary and not redistributable.  I don't really add new features to the board anymore, it's just under long-term support (and likely will be for several more years).

#3 06-04-2013 21:04:04

Matt

Re: Wacintaki, as a "One-Click" Install? -Matt

I'm actually taking the approach of completely replacing the installer.  After the user initially signs up on the website, they can then one-click install their own oekaki (filling out basic information identifying their oekaki).  They may also join other oekakis under the same domain with a single click (using  their credentials they initially signed up with.)

I don't really feel that any changes need to be made.  You're work and support is great.  I believe as long as I can identify the changes in your scripts from the old to new version, I should be able to re-implement my modifications into the new version scripts and rollout to all of the oekakis that have already installed using a separate script.

You are very right.  This approach will require much work each time an update is released.  (I've probably made this project more difficult than it had to be.)  However, I've been keeping documentation as to the changes I have made to your scripts.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Matt

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB