NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 12-27-2005 21:10:21

NekoGirl

Um, I have NNNNOOOOOOO Idea what to do!

I downloaded Wacintaki Poteto 1.2.5 file thingy, but um, what do I do now? How do I get it on the web? AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

#2 12-27-2005 22:12:11

sfox8

Re: Um, I have NNNNOOOOOOO Idea what to do!

^^ Well first you need an FTP Client. I suggest Smart FTP (http://smartftp.com).
Download that. I think even after the trial runs out you can still use it. (I've had mine for over a year).
Anyway XD, after that you need to move all of the files from The Wacintaki zip that you just got, over to your harddrive soo...

1)Click and drag the "oekaki" folder from the zipped wacpoteto to your harddrive (My Documents will do).
2) Open up the oekaki folder once everything is finished transferring to your harddrive.
3) Did you install smartftp? If not, install it now and just leave all the settings to default.
4) Open up SmartFTP. At the top of SmartFTP, you will see three text boxes. Address, Login, and Password.
5) Before we go on... do you have a webhost already? If so, then skip to number 9. If not go to number 6.
6) You need a webhost!! O3O Go to google.com and look for free hosts that offer php and mysql and ftp access. This can be a bit difficult so here is a wonderful host that I have used for a little over a year now. http://funpic.org is a german and english webhost that offers mysql, php and ftp access and allows you unlimited space. It rarely ever goes down.
7) Now you'll need to register for whatever site you choose ( I'm assuming funpic). Register and check your email for validation. Follow the instructions in the email.
8) For some hosts you can skip this step (activating mysql). For funpic you need to read this. Go to your settings in funpic and go to mysql and activate it. It will probably say deactivated by default. Just activate it.
9) Now back to FTP. Under address, enter the address that your host lets you use for ftp access. This is usually available in your settings panel. For funpic it would be "myusername.funpic.org" replacing myusername of course, with your actual username that you registered for.
10) Under Login, enter your screenname that you use for ftp access. For funpic it would simply be your username.
11) Under password... enter your password XD I can't tell you what your password is cuz you should know.
12) Don't worry about the Port or that other crap >.> you'll rarely use it. Press enter once all this is done. A window should pop up with the folders and directories on your site.
13) For most hosts you show up on the main directory but for some you will have to click the home directory to get to where you can actually upload files. If you are using funpic, you dont need to click any folder because there probably is none.
14) Now go back to your oekaki folder on your harddrive. Click and drag that oekaki folder INTO the smartftp window. It should begin transferring your files to your website.
15) This may take a while so be patient ^^;
16) Once its finished (it should say Transfer Complete in the command window of SmartFTP), you need to access your site. You should know what your site address is. Usually free hosts do subdomains so in funpics case it would be "myusername.funpic.org". Enter your address into your browser and add "/oekaki" to the end of it. This will take you to a screen that says "Click here to run installer".
17) Click it and it will take you to the oekaki's install page.
18) On the install page it will have select language. The default is English and there is no other choice. Do not click submit.
19) The next section has Database hostname. Most free hosts allow you to leave this as localhost. In funpic's case it is localhost.
20) Database hostname is usually by default on most free hosts, your username. This is no different with funpic so enter your username for both the Database Name and Database Username.
21) Enter your password for the database password.
22) Leave both prefixes as default op_. And Leave the encryption key as "As".
23) Everything else should be pretty self explanatory. Fill it in as you would like for your board.
24) The last thing to enter is your username and password.
25) Press submit and if you recieved no errors, you have successfully created an oekaki board ^^ Congrats!
26) Now go out and get some members big_smile

#3 12-27-2005 23:28:09

NekoGirl

thanks!   I may need further help after, though. I have no idea what the heck this stuff is!  ^-^'

#4 01-02-2006 04:30:25

Waccoon
Administrator

Any luck?

#5 01-02-2006 14:19:14

NekoGirl

no....  not at all  XD       I cannot work the FTP and that host is not doing signups in "My Area"...  I live in Canada..

#6 01-02-2006 16:26:49

sfox8

^^; you can always find another host big_smile Just do a google search on free php and mysql hosts. they'll give you a lot of choices. there are many hosts out there.

as for the smart ftp thing, you'll have to sexplain your problem a bit more so we know how to help ^^;

#7 01-02-2006 22:10:39

Waccoon
Administrator

For free hosts, I don't have any recommendations.  However, there's a number of different FTP programs you can use, so if one doesn't work out too well for you, there's others you can try.  You'll NEED to know how to use FTP fairly well to manage a web site.  FTP can be aggrivating at times, but it's not really that hard once you learn the basics.

There's a decent FTP tutorial in the Wacintaki manual (the "Newbie Guide"), along with some information on PHP and how servers work.  There's also a list of different FTP programs in the manual, too.

#8 01-03-2006 16:09:26

NekoGirl

thanks. I'll look it up.  =^o^=

#9 03-07-2006 21:10:31

Elaine

ahh... I'm also trying to install the oekaki board, but I'm having MySQL problems. It currently gives me the error "Warning: mysql_connect(): Lost connection to MySQL server during query in /home/elaine/public_html/oekaki/oekaki/dbconn.php on line 10
Could not connect to the MySQL database." but I'm sure I got the database names and such correct. I'm not required to create tables, am I?

#10 03-08-2006 04:59:40

Waccoon
Administrator

A lost connection error is a problem on the server end, and can be common if they are using a second server just for the database (i.e., not using "localhost" in the "Database Hostname" field of the installer).

Try running the installer again.

If you have the problem a lot, tell tech support so they can look into the issue.

#11 04-13-2006 21:51:35

AJ

Something went wrong. I did everything though, it says this,

Installation Progress

Wrote database config file...
Wrote config file...

Wrote base “resource” folder files...

Starting to set up database...

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to MySQL server on 'http' (60) in /usr/export/www/hosting/kcoekaki/oekaki/dbconn.php on line 10
Could not connect to the MySQL database.

what do i do?

#12 04-14-2006 05:43:22

Waccoon
Administrator

A standard web address shouldn't be used, just the server name.

If the database is on the same computer as the web server, the database host should just be "localhost" (one word, all lower case).  No "http://" or any other protocol stuff should be used.  You should always try localhost first to see if it works.

If the database is a dedicated computer, it may be something like, "sql.host.com", where "host" is the name of your hosting company.  Mine would be "sql.ninechime.com".

If localhost doesn't work, and you don't know which host name to use, ask your admin.

#13 04-14-2006 11:36:44

AJ

thanks. but i tried localhost already, i just wanted to try my website to see if that worked, and then i gave up and came here. what do you mean by my host? do you mean my website host? or who we pay to use the internet? and who is my admin? (i'm sorry for being such a newbie)

#14 04-14-2006 19:33:32

AJ

Oh! And, by the way, i used funpic. does that help?

#15 04-14-2006 19:43:16

AJ

here's what it says when i use localhost:

Wrote database config file...
Wrote config file...

Wrote base “resource” folder files...

Starting to set up database...

Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user: 'KCoekaki@localhost' (Using password: YES) in /usr/export/www/hosting/kcoekaki/oekaki/dbconn.php on line 10
Could not connect to the MySQL database.

#16 04-14-2006 23:46:00

Angel

AJ wrote:

thanks. but i tried localhost already, i just wanted to try my website to see if that worked, and then i gave up and came here. what do you mean by my host? do you mean my website host? or who we pay to use the internet? and who is my admin? (i'm sorry for being such a newbie)

Your host is the people/support where you being hosted (where your website is being hosted...). Like, go to the webpage where you got your hosting and then try to find a contact page or support page and contact them about the mySQL hostname and what it's supposed to be.

#17 04-15-2006 21:31:12

Waccoon
Administrator

By "host", I'm referring to either the company that owns the server that hosts your web site (FunPic), or the server itself.  I'm not talking about the company that allows you to access the Internet (such as Comcast, Verizon, etc.)

Sorry, by "admin", I was really referring to tech support.  However, FunPic is a free host, so you probably won't get any help.

Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user: 'KCoekaki@localhost' (Using password: YES)

This tells me "localhost" is correct, but the database isn't allowing the connection.  Make sure you've created a database, a database username, assigned that username to the database, and assigned the proper access permissions (default permissions usually include everything you need).  How to do this varies from host to host, so you'll have to check any available documentation at FunPic to make sure your database is set up correctly.

If you're really having problems, I could take a look at your database settings with your login, but I can't make any promises as these free sites can be tricky to set up.

#18 04-17-2006 15:14:33

AJ

okay. I changed my PW to something different because i use one PW for everything.

so i don't care if everyone knows. just don't change anything like my email or password again, okay?

or accually, it would be better if you email me, and i could tell you my password there?

my e-mail is, ajprivitt@earthlink.net

thanks, waccoon!

#19 04-18-2006 04:41:07

Waccoon
Administrator

OK, I'll send you an e-mail.

#20 04-19-2006 13:35:31

AJ

YAY!!! ^^ thanks guys, but i figured it out! I had to change stuff around. I just was messing with the passwords and usernames and stuff, I actually don't know what i did, heh heh. 0_0*

#21 05-21-2006 11:50:14

Shadow_May

I have a mac, what do I do? o.0

#22 05-21-2006 23:56:19

Waccoon
Administrator

#23 06-23-2006 20:56:01

Fushi

agigforfree.com gives you good space but their customer service sucks. D:

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB