NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

Post a reply

Write your message and submit
Options
Humanity test

What is one + eight?

Go back

Topic review (newest first)

Waccoon
09-01-2013 17:08:51

Yeah, I've heard of this before.  The buttons are there, but the graphics are not being updated.

A long time ago, I had this issue with my ATI video card for over a year, where all I got was a grey screen.  The only way it got fixed was for AMD to release a new driver.  Ticked me all to no end.

That was about four years ago, but I guess there are still lingering issues.

JS
09-01-2013 12:53:04

While my laptop IS a gaming machine, I couldn't find any kind of video settings to adjust.

A friend DID find a surprising workaround however.

Turns out the buttons and functions that are missing from PaintBBS, they're actually still there, just they're not visible. Locating the "Float" button however will open a new window, with EVERYTHING working as it should.

Not exactly a solution but it's the best thing I can work with right now.

Thank you for the help still. As I'm not the only person to experience this problem, I do hope it gets a genuine solution someday.

Waccoon
08-31-2013 16:19:52

A lot of the newer browsers will blacklist old versions of Java due to security issues.  You can get it working, but it's not recommended.

This is definitely an issue with Java on your PC, and not with the browser.  In my experience, though, re-installing Java doesn't fix anything.  It's got to be a graphics/driver setting somewhere.

Like I said earlier, ATI/AMD video cards have a bunch of driver issues that just never seem to get sorted out.  If you have a gaming laptop, you may be able to mess around with some of the video settings.  There's a number of settings relating to extra filtering and alternate scaling that would cause a number of issues with different games.  I had to play around with those settings a lot to get most stuff working.  If you don't have a gaming laptop, I don't think there's much you can do to configure your graphics card, since the relevant control panels won't be installed.

Eventually, I got fed up with AMD graphics and bought an NVidia card, and have never looked back.

Not very helpful, I know, but I've had little luck trying to fix video issues with Java.

JS
08-30-2013 03:40:51

Just tried the hardware accelerator option, no change

I've tried it in IE, in Firefox and in Opera, the effect is the same in all of them.

I tried going back to a previous version of Java, version 6 update 7. This caused PaintBBS to work fine in IE, but it won't work in any other browser, they act as if the applet is not installed. I can't work in IE, it's an extreme security risk to my computer, so that's an unfeasable solution.

Waccoon
08-30-2013 03:36:29

My laptop is a Sony VAIO with Intel graphics, Win7 64-bit, and Firefox.  With the latest Java update, I haven't noticed any issues at all.

You could try disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox by going to Tools -> Options -> Advanced tab -> General tab.  While the applet shouldn't have issues since Wacintaki and Wax explicitly disable hardware acceleration, Firefox may be having trouble.  From personal experience, I can say AMD video drivers have been a real pain with regards to hardware acceleration (which is why I switched my workstation from AMD to NVidia).  There may be an overlay issue when running Java within Firefox.

If that has no effect, I'm not sure what to suggest.  If there's a problem running the applet, you shouldn't get anything at all.  If there's a color palette but no canvas... that's a bit strange and really sounds like a graphics problem.  Have you tried running the applet in Internet Explorer or any other web browser?

JS
08-29-2013 11:40:26

Any and all help would be appreciated

Using Windows 7, an Asus G73 laptop with ATI, Firefox, current Java update

the oekaki board on which I usually draw at is http://www3.atpaint.jp/ssdrexzzx/index.htm

Waccoon
08-29-2013 04:41:05

I've heard that there's some kind of new problem with Windows8, but I haven't heard about issues with Windows7, which I presume is what you're using.

I haven't tried update 25 of Java yet on my Win7 machine, but it does work fine under XP 32-bit (which is my main workstation).  I also use Firefox on all my systems.

I'll update my Win7 machine tomorrow and see if there's an issue.  If not, diagnosing this may be difficult.  I'm afraid I'm not much of a Java guy, but I do think a graphics driver problem is unlikely, since Wacintaki and Wax already disable hardware acceleration in Java due to problems with ATI/AMD drivers.

JS
08-29-2013 00:36:18

Let me just say I'm just a user, I don't fully understand the installation of oekaki programs and such.

I've been drawing on a japanese oekaki board for years now, most specifically PaintBBS. I also used a program called Chibipaint on another oekaki board, but that board is long gone. A few years ago, Java stopped working correctly with PaintBBS (and Chibipaint as well). I found that using older versions of Java circumvented this oddity, but it's reached the point where using such older versions has become a liability.

What I don't understand is that on the same oekaki board, with the same up to date Java applet, it works just fine on a Macbook computer, yet it won't work on my PC laptop.

The problem involved is that on my PC, the grid for PaintBBS will not load, nor will the functions auch as fill, submit and undo. I know I'm not the only person to experience this problem, but I've yet to encounter a solution, and I'm really at the end of my rope as a user.

the examples are as follows

on a Macbook - https://www.dropbox.com/s/9a4lgg2o7im33lm/Good.png

on a PC (my computer - https://www.dropbox.com/s/cas8fenfqbl569s/bad.png

Any and all help with this problem would be immensely appreciated.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB