NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

Post a reply

Write your message and submit
Options
Humanity test

What is one + five?

Go back

Topic review (newest first)

siliconsara
10-18-2012 11:30:53

Here's a free hosting site with no ads: http://three-words.net/free/

rainbow
10-03-2012 20:41:37

isaac-sul wrote:

this web hosting provider works fine too. And PHP5 is standard and should work everywhere as far as I know.

Sorry, but IXWebHosting is NOT free and it costs at least $3.95 per month to use the site.

isaac-sul
04-05-2011 03:32:14

this web hosting provider works fine too. And PHP5 is standard and should work everywhere as far as I know.

Waccoon
01-15-2011 23:14:59

PHP4 is pretty old and no longer being updated.  I would think every site is using PHP5 by now.

Fibonacci
01-08-2011 03:33:17

Oh, we forgot to mention that Byethost forbids adult content. Does any of the free hosts mentioned until now allow it?

Richard Wolf VI
01-05-2011 20:50:54

As Fibo said, we originally planned to use X10, but the server they gave me (Starka, if anyone wants to know) had several issues: FTP access was very flaky, databases were down frequently, and a major Colombian ISP blocked it.

I've also tried 000webhost, but as Waccon said, they make you CHMOD 777 you writable folders, so that didn't seem very nice for security.

Awardspace is kinda short on the storage side. Even when they improved recently, I feel is somewhat limiting. They offer 250 MB storage and a 2 MB filesize limit.

We've settled with Byethost, which overcomes all the issues with X10. The only annoying thing I've found is that 404s are redirected to an external page, but that's easy to fix via .htaccess.

Fibonacci
01-05-2011 16:41:42

For the Colombiafur (Colombian furry community) Oekaki we're using Byethost: http://www.byethost.com/
Apparently X10Hosting has gotten better now, and it was proposed for an early version of said Oekaki, but my ISP blocked it for unknown reasons so we ditched it.

K-ToF
12-04-2010 19:56:27

anyone else having trouble with funpic?

had everything working fine last week, been away from the oekaki a while, today i get:

Could not connect to the SQL database (API: MySQLi)
DB: Access denied for user 'ktof'@'192.168.144.4' (using password: YES)

if someone figures out a fix let me know

Waccoon
12-02-2010 01:51:52

Let's see if I remember.

000webhost wants all writable folders to be CHMOD to 777.  Log into your account via FTP, and find the "public_html" folder.  CHMOD that to 777.  Then change the permissions of the "pictures", "resource", "templates", and "avatars" folders to 777.  You will have to do this again after running the oekaki installer, to make sure they are set correctly (some of the folders are created by the oekaki installer).

I believe you have a section of your CPanel where you can set up the database.  When you do, you'll have to choose a database username, database name, and password.  Remember these three, because you'll have to type them into the oekaki installer later.  The host will prefix your account name to the database, and the prefix is the same as your FTP login.  So, if your FTP login is "j4593565", then your database name will end up being "j4593565_oekaki".  If you forget to type the prefix into the oekaki installer, the board won't install.

Also, they use a custom database host.  You will not type "localhost" into the oekaki installer.  It should be something like "mysql5.000webhost.com", or whatever is specified in the CPanel where you set up the database.  Read all the information in your database CPanel to make sure things haven't changed since I last visited.

Once the folders are CHMOD to 777, and you have the database information, simply browse to your web site and the installer should run automatically.  If something doesn't work, it's almost certain that the database information is wrong.  The installer will tell you.

confusednewbie
12-02-2010 00:48:49

Waccoon wrote:

Just set up a new oekaki for someone, and this host seems to work just fine:

www000webhost.com

After uploading all the files, though, the service did a scan for malicious scripts, which took a few hours.  After the scan, the site is working fine.

So I'm a newbie to these things, and I used SmartFTP to put the oekaki files on 000webhost, but I don't know where to go from there.
Thanks!

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB